News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The CafeTO item cleared Executive Ctte today, but with an amendment from the Mayor:

1675194676370.png

From link.

Dufferin Mall​

900 Dufferin Street, Toronto, ON M6H 4A9

Parking

Free parking is currently available at the street level from both Dufferin and Croatia Streets, and underground on two levels of our parking garage.

PAID PARKING
In the coming months (late 2022/early 2023), paid parking will come into effect at Dufferin Mall. This will be done in partnership with Imperial Parking Corporation Canada, a division of the Reef Network (https://www.impark.com/).​
Shoppers will be permitted to park at Dufferin Mall for up to three (3) hours free of charge.​
Any shopper parking longer than three (3) hours will be required to pay $2 for each additional hour, with a daily maximum of $8.​
PARKING STATIONS
For your convenience, parking stations are located on the P1 and P2 levels of the Dufferin Mall parking garage:
  • Two (2) in the P1 level located near the elevator and the near the ramp down from the surface level.
  • Two (2) on the P2 level located near the elevator and the stairs leading up to food court.
FAQS
  • When is paid parking coming into effect at Dufferin Mall?
Paid parking will come into effect in the coming months.​
  • What will the parking rates be?
Monday to Sunday​
Mall patrons only – 3 hours Free​
Each additional hour or less - $2​
Daily Maximum - $8 (until 11:59pm)​
  • Is there a penalty for parking longer than 3 hours?
Yes. Vehicles that park without payment of the posted rate or failure to properly display a valid parking pass may receive a violation from Imperial Parking Corporation Canada.​
  • Are License Plate Recognition (LPR) cameras being used?
Yes. The LPR cameras will be setup at every Dufferin Mall parking entrance and will read a vehicle’s license plate. This information will go the Impark’s onsite representative to track when a vehicle arrived and how long it has been parked at Dufferin Mall. The use of LPR cameras means shoppers parking under 3 hours will not need to enter their license plates at pay stations or Offstreet app prior to shopping at Dufferin Mall.​
  • What is the procedure to pay for parking?
If you plan to park longer than 3 hours, after parking, please register your license plate number at the pay stations and pay for your additional time. If you did not plan on shopping longer than 3 hours but do happen to, please return to the pay stations on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking garage and pay for additional time. Parking can also be purchased in advance via the the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Are there pay stations on the surface level of the parking lot?
No. Pay Stations are only located on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking lot.​
  • I only need to shop for a for a few minutes, do I need to register my license plate at the pay stations?
No. You only need to register your license plate if you are planning to park your vehicle longer than three hours.​
  • What if I park on the surface level and want to park longer than 3 hours?
If you have already parked on the surface level and plan to park your vehicle longer than three hours, we ask that you relocate your vehicle to either the P1 or P2 level of the parking lot and pay for your additional time at the pay stations or via the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Will monthly rates be available?
Yes. For those who frequent Dufferin Mall on a daily basis, monthly parking rates are available.​
  • What was the reasoning to move to paid parking?
Due to the many developments and construction projects in the surrounding area, less and less of the parking spaces meant for Dufferin Mall patrons. By instituting paid parking, our hope is to discourage those who aren’t shopping at Dufferin Mall from freely parking at Dufferin Mall for extended periods and leaving more parking spaces to loyal Dufferin Mall shoppers.​
  • Is Dufferin Mall managing paid parking?
Paid parking will be managed by Imperial Parking Corporation Canada (Impark), a division of the Reef Network. For more details, please visit https://www.impark.com/toronto/.​

To those who think that charging a parking fee would drive people away, the CF Eaton Centre was the busiest mall in Canada in 2018, with 53.7 million annual visitors. It charges for parking.

1675267831640.png

Mayor Tory is just wrapping up a press conference for the City Budget, which he had to formally present for the Council meeting mid-month that is to approve same.

The only material change is that staff have 'found' savings of an additional 6M, and he's open on how to allocate those dollars to assorted priorities including housing, climate change and transit.

A wholly inadequate concession on the Mayor's part.

6M will not materially alter anything. If applied entirely to the TTC service cuts, it would reduce them somewhat, and leave no additional $$ for anything else.

Mayor Tory is just wrapping up a press conference for the City Budget, which he had to formally present for the Council meeting mid-month that is to approve same.

The only material change is that staff have 'found' savings of an additional 6M, and he's open on how to allocate those dollars to assorted priorities including housing, climate change and transit.

A wholly inadequate concession on the Mayor's part.

6M will not materially alter anything. If applied entirely to the TTC service cuts, it would reduce them somewhat, and leave no additional $$ for anything else.
At just over half a percentage point of the annual budget (I'm assuming approximately 10 billion) that's essentially a rounding error. Much ado about nothing.

I just received my first three of six 2023 property tax bills. And it’s down $15 from my final three tax bills from 2022. I was expecting an increase since my assessed value is up and Mayor Tory is crying poor. I assume the final three of 2023 will be up.

And I just received my January gas bill, and it’s up only $12 from Jan 2022. I thought inflation was hitting gas prices hard? I‘ve read of people getting gas bills with huge increases. Maybe that’s coming in my Feb or March bills.

Last edited:
I just received my first three of six 2023 property tax bills. And it’s down $15 from my final three tax bills from 2022. I was expecting an increase since my assessed value is up and Mayor Tory is crying poor. I assume the final three of 2023 will be up.

And I just received my January gas bill, and it’s up only $12 from Jan 2022. I thought inflation was hitting gas prices hard? I‘ve read of people getting gas bills with huge increases. Maybe that’s coming in my Feb or March bills.
The first 3 / 6 property tax is based on 50% of the 2022 taxes.

This winter has been above normal temperature (up to January, 2023). Hence, lower natural gas consumption.

Last edited:
From link...

Top tips to heat your home for less

Adjust your thermostat​

ES_regular_thermostat_v2(1).jpg
Lowering the temperature of your home two to three degrees Celsius is optimal for saving energy and keeping your home comfortable. A good guide is to program 17°C when you are sleeping or not at home, and 20°C when you are awake and at home. Keep it simple and install an ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat so you can set it and forget it.​

Except in Toronto it seems...

From link...

All landlords are responsible for providing heat to a minimum air temperature of 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1.​

Guess we have city council members who have shares in heating supply companies.

From link...

Top tips to heat your home for less

Adjust your thermostat​

ES_regular_thermostat_v2(1).jpg
Lowering the temperature of your home two to three degrees Celsius is optimal for saving energy and keeping your home comfortable. A good guide is to program 17°C when you are sleeping or not at home, and 20°C when you are awake and at home. Keep it simple and install an ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat so you can set it and forget it.​

Except in Toronto it seems...

From link...

All landlords are responsible for providing heat to a minimum air temperature of 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1.​

Guess we have city council members who have shares in heating supply companies.

Walter............

Bad take.

Older and ill people in particular are quite vulnerable to the cold.

I'm a guy, a well insulated one at that! LOL I like it cool; and dislike the warmth; but when its been 19 degrees in my unit in winter, in the past, before the windows were re-done, it was not comfortable.

The 21 degree standard is high, but it also reflects a lack of thermostats in people's individual apartments.

The standard was advised on by professionals as is a common choice.

Some days you really do go out of your way to complain about everything.

We used less natural gas than the same period last year -- the bills very nicely show that! But our actual cost was significantly higher for the same period thanks to higher rates for gas plus all of the other charges such as delivery and carbon tax (which I personally don't oppose).

When I lived in a high rise, we barely turned the heat on thanks to the direction we faced and our large windows. Now, living in an older house, it's a different story.

Walter............

Bad take.

Older and ill people in particular are quite vulnerable to the cold.

I'm a guy, a well insulated one at that! LOL I like it cool; and dislike the warmth; but when its been 19 degrees in my unit in winter, in the past, before the windows were re-done, it was not comfortable.

The 21 degree standard is high, but it also reflects a lack of thermostats in people's individual apartments.

The standard was advised on by professionals as is a common choice.

Some days you really do go out of your way to complain about everything.

Having a basement boiler needs a thermostat on each level to know that all levels get heat. Usually, the lower levels end up getting more heat than the upper levels.

The basement boiler should be the main source of heat. However each apartment should have its own ductless heat pump. The ductless heat pump could supplement the needed heat for the comfort of the people in the apartment, but also be able to become the air conditioner in summer.

However, each apartment may need its electrical supply upgraded, though then each apartment should then be able to get its own electrical meter.

Figure_Components_of_an_Air-source_Heat_Pump_Heating_Cycle_eng.PNG
Figure_Components_of_an_Air-source_Heat_Pump_Cooling_Cycle_eng.PNG
From link.

Still need the boiler, because...

Supplementary Heat Sources​

Since air-source heat pumps have a minimum outdoor operating temperature (between -15°C to -25°C) and reduced heating capacity at very cold temperatures, it is important to consider a supplemental heating source for air-source heat pump operations.

Last edited:

As they and most municipalities have done for many years the interim tax bill is 50% of the total tax assessed in the previous year. "As property tax is a large obligation relative to other (non-financing) home ownership costs, cities typically want to ensure residents have enough time. However, budgets for the year (and subsequently, tax rates) are not typically financed until the end of the first quarter of the year. Because of this, the city usually issues two bills: an interim bill and a final bill.

The Interim Tax Bill estimates the taxes for the year and issues a bill for half the amount. Later in the Year (usually by May), the municipality sends the final tax bill, approximately equal to the interim bill, plus or minus the adjustment difference between the estimate and the actual tax rates for the year." See" https://catalystre.ca/toronto-property-tax-info/

The interim bill really has no relationship with the final bill we will all get in May as it does not take into acount any changes in the MPAC valuation or the tax rate for the current year.

Today is February 2, 2023. Have you submitted your Vacant Home Tax Declaration?

Go to link.

Vacant Home Tax Calculation​

A Vacant Home Tax of one per cent of the Current Value Assessment (CVA) will be imposed on all Toronto residences that are declared, deemed or determined vacant for more than six months during the previous year. For example, if the CVA of your property is $1,000,000, the tax amount billed would be $10,000 (1% x $1,000,000).

The tax is based on the property’s occupancy status for the previous year. For example, if the home is vacant in 2022 the tax will become payable in 2023.
If your property status declaration is not made by the declaration deadline of February 2, 2023, a fine of $250 may be issued.

You will have an opportunity to submit a late declaration and based on your response, you may receive a supplementary Vacant Home Tax Notice.

Failure to make a declaration will result in your property being deemed vacant. Once deemed vacant, your property will be subject to the tax and you will be issued a Vacancy Tax Notice.

Thought I submitted this comment yesterday on Groundhog Day?

Back