News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

BUMP:

Less than two weeks in and he has already met with Wynne and Harper.

Of course, Harper won't meet with Wynne...

That will play out well for Trudeau in the election ... Ignore Canada's most populous province Harper. Go ahead ...

ETA I'm positively perplexed by the notion of a national leader who will not meet with provincial leaders, individually or collectively. Whether he "likes" them or what they stand for is irrelevant. The fact they are provincially elected leaders is really the salient point. Imagine a CEO that had no executive meetings, or one who met with some of his executives but excluded others. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

Harper could stand to take lessons from Tory who has done nothing but take the high road in his dealings with RoFo in particular. I may not be entirely behind all of Tory's ideas and actions but above all else, he is professional and mature. Not sure I could say the same about Harper.

Last edited:
Harper is an ass and a national embarrassment.
He disgusts me. The fact he was elected makes me ashamed to be a Canadian.

That will play out well for Trudeau in the election ... Ignore Canada's most populous province Harper. Go ahead ...

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic that Trudeau will win. Everytime he open his mouth, he delivers juicy material on a silver platter to the conservative propaganda machine. According to recent polls he lost his lead and is now tied with harper. Now that the honeymoon is over, many people are starting to see him as a loose cannon with little substance, which will probably be reinforced by his debate performance next to skilled liar Steven Harper. This could end up just like the Olivia Chow campaign: poised to win early on, makes one political error after another, quickly squanders that opportunity.

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic that Trudeau will win. Everytime he open his mouth, he delivers juicy material on a silver platter to the conservative propaganda machine. According to recent polls he lost his lead and is now tied with harper. Now that the honeymoon is over, many people are starting to see him as a loose cannon with little substance, which will probably be reinforced by his debate performance next to skilled liar Steven Harper. This could end up just like the Olivia Chow campaign: poised to win early on, makes one political error after another, quickly squanders that opportunity.
Actually Liberals are still ahead - not as much as I might wish - and Trudeau is very close and rising but... Take a look at the latest Nanos polls - they have a pretty good track record. (Before anyone says, "the only poll that counts is the election itself" I agree but ...) See: http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/Nanos Political Index 2014-12-05E.pdf

ETA I'm positively perplexed by the notion of a national leader who will not meet with provincial leaders, individually or collectively. Whether he "likes" them or what they stand for is irrelevant. The fact they are provincially elected leaders is really the salient point. Imagine a CEO that had no executive meetings, or one who met with some of his executives but excluded others. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

Harper could stand to take lessons from Tory who has done nothing but take the high road in his dealings with RoFo in particular. I may not be entirely behind all of Tory's ideas and actions but above all else, he is professional and mature. Not sure I could say the same about Harper.

I don't think Canada really "works" with Harper's approach. He's more of a royal absolutist (see prorogation) who doesn't want to meet Parliament and would sooner ignore his still-very-powerful vassals.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I think it's extremely unlikely that Trudeau will do as badly as Ignatieff in 2011. That was the Liberal Party's worst election since 1867 outside of wartime. It's hard to know how things will go in a campaign, but there will be more seats in Ontario, Quebec, BC, and Alberta. I expect the Liberals will gain back some headway in Ontario at minimum, and the polls still suggest it. But I don't know how Trudeau will fare against Harper, Mulcair, and I guess May in a debate. I don't think he's a particularly good speaker and his voice kinda grates.

But this election will be won or lost in Ontario. I predict at minimum that the Conservatives will lose their majority in Ontario, but whether they lose government as a result remains to be seen. The Liberals' problem is that they currently have no stronghold of significance. The NDP is still the most popular party in francophone Quebec, and will have incumbency there. They have their usual BC base and will probably maintain rough seat count in Ontario if not the vote share. That leaves all those 905/suburban seats in Ontario where the Liberals will have to do well. I can see them winning maybe minimum 20-30 additional seats if they do at least as well as Kathleen Wynne, which strikes me as doable.

Whatever happens, I think the "coalition" word will have new meaning in 2015...

I may not be entirely behind all of Tory's ideas and actions but above all else, he is professional and mature.

"professional and mature"

That's all I ever asked. I'll tolerate almost anything else.

Smile and shoeshine. When they start not smiling back, it's time to look for another line of work.

Aside from Mammo, Ford and Karygiannis, council was much better. Two of them could be gone in the near future.

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic that Trudeau will win. Everytime he open his mouth, he delivers juicy material on a silver platter to the conservative propaganda machine.
And everytime that Karygiannis opens his mouth, we see how sensible Trudeau was in kicking him out of Ottawa.

Harper is an ass and a national embarrassment.
He disgusts me. The fact he was elected makes me ashamed to be a Canadian.

I concur. Got a forum poll call a few days ago. Is this who the libs use? It asked a couple questions on senate spending scandal and the media's coverage of it. It asked opinion of Trudeau's performance. It felt like the questions were what the Liberals would want to know but a few were quite odd. I had company to tend to so I cut it short. I also don't think I have ever been asked straight up, who I voted for in the last
federal election. There were some personal questions regarding sex harassment and assault. I started to wonder if it was a policy poll instead of an election poll. It was a cell phone #

just got a automated telephone poll on my landline from "campaign research"

first they asked which federal party i planned to vote for -- i said green

then (and the fact that this was a separate question was interesting) which party leader would make the best prime minister -- i said mulcair

then they asked if i knew about smarttrack and the fact that tory wants a couple $billion from the federal government -- i did

finally (and this was the whole point of the poll, in my estimation), they asked if harper agreed to fund smarttrack, would i be much more, somewhat more, or less inclined to vote for harper -- i said less inclined

i mean, i'm not gonna vote for that selfish weasel under any circumstances, so i'm not sure "less inclined" is even possible

For the same poll while visiting my grandma! Offered to do it for her.

Said I would vote Liberal, that May is best to lead, very familiar with Smart Track, somewhat supportive of it, and somewhat more likely to vote Conservative if Harper supports it. That last one was a bit of a white lie, but hoping that it may help to make transit funding a federal issue.

Comment re: said article - "It's amazing the things you can get done when the overwhelming thought preoccupying one's mind isn't where to score some drugs."

Nuff said.

AoD

Back