News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They don't shut them down, but there are delays. When I was running the 5k before the Santa Claus parade this year, I had to wait for the Queen car. I don't think thI y made Santa wait, however :)

Yes...they are essentially shut down. I get caught with every marathon as I head down early (before they close the streets) to the sunday St Lawrence antique market on the 504, and by the time I'm ready to head back home, the streetcars don't get through. What's worse, is there seems to be no contingency plans...the TTC, even though they have lots of prior knowledge of the even and the shut down of the streets, sends out the streetcars as if nothing was happening...it's quite comical. I think they act as if they are going to get through, but in reality, they don't.

So what you have is all the streetcars sitting around downtown with nowhere to go, and no way to get from east of Yonge to west of Spadina.

Now I know the city LOVES to disrupt streetcar service for any reason at all, but here's one important note I would love to send to City Hall.....YOU DON'T SHUT DOWN MAJOR PUBLIC TRANSIT LINES....****** FOR ANY REASON********.....EVER, UNLESS IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

The subway has to open earlier than 9 AM on Sundays for these events. .

The subway should open before 9:00 am on Sunday...period. Toronto is the kind of city that should have 24 hr subway service. Treating Sunday as "special" is just a lingering throwback to Toronto's victorian past. That's why we still have those "Sunday stops" in front of churches....as if even a fraction of people still go to sunday service, or that churches deserve special treatment.

Toronto's embarrassing "dumb side" shows in many ways other than just voting in morons like Rob Ford.

The subway should open before 9:00 am on Sunday...period. Toronto is the kind of city that should have 24 hr subway service. Treating Sunday as "special" is just a lingering throwback to Toronto's victorian past. That's why we still have those "Sunday stops" in front of churches....as if even a fraction of people still go to sunday service, or that churches deserve special treatment.

Toronto's embarrassing "dumb side" shows in many ways other than just voting in morons like Rob Ford.

The TTC is getting rid of all the Sunday stops on the streetcar routes and the reason we have no subway service until 9am on Sundays is to give a few more hours of track maintenance time. If we had express lines (like NYC) we could avoid this but the choice is either late Sunday openings or earlier closings or more complete shut-downs. When the new signal system is up and running (we should live so long!) I think they can use the cross-overs to by-pass track work so it may be possible then too. It is very annoying!

I'd be curious to know the rationale for 24 hour subway service when cities like London with more than twice our population shut down the tube in favour of night buses around midnight. I doubt the added cost to run could be justified by the ridership. JMO

ETA Just did a quick google search and except for some lines in NYC, and Chicago, and I think some lines in Germany subways do not run for several hours in the night the world over. Anywhere I've been in Europe, they close even though many places bars are open long after the last train has left the station.

Subways are great for high capacity transport but that isn't needed at 4 am.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know the rationale for 24 hour subway service when cities like London with more than twice our population shut down the tube in favour of night buses around midnight. I doubt the added cost to run could be justified by the ridership. JMO
Yes, I don't understand the rationale either. I think its mainly because we like to compare ourselves with New York and they're one of the few cities with 24 hour service. I prefer buses anyway since they're way more frequent than the subway would be at 4am. The 320 Yonge runs every 4 minutes at 4am while a hypothetical 4am subway would have 15 minute or longer frequencies like New York.

On the subject of the 9 AM Sunday start of the subway, during the special events they should open up at 6 AM. Normally, the subway operates at a 5 minute headway all day (9 AM to 1 AM) on Sunday (and 6 AM to 1 AM Saturday). Why not operate the subway at 10 to 15 minutes headways between 6 AM and 9 AM on Sunday, during a special Sunday morning event? That would be a way to get people out of their cars to get to those events as well.

I can see those who wouldn't use public transit being against this, as it would be an extra cost.

Last edited:
I have to wonder, how many people who voted for Doug, and to a lesser extent Olivia Chow, see how stable things are now? Tory polling over 70% in an area that voted for Doug is encouraging.

Well, FWIW, I can see Chow Nation more rationally "understanding" why it's so than Ford Nation. And it might also offer a hint of why a 2018 Ford comeback might be easier said than done...

I have to wonder, how many people who voted for Doug, and to a lesser extent Olivia Chow, see how stable things are now? Tory polling over 70% in an area that voted for Doug is encouraging.

IIRC, Miller was polling over 80% in his first month in office. Ford polled at 60%. The honeymoon period is not necessarily a good indicator of how stable things will be under a particular mayor. I'm sure they'll be more stable than they were under Ford. But we'll have to wait and see how stable they will be compared to the Miller and Lastman eras.

IIRC, Miller was polling over 80% in his first month in office. Ford polled at 60%. The honeymoon period is not necessarily a good indicator of how stable things will be under a particular mayor. I'm sure they'll be more stable than they were under Ford. But we'll have to wait and see how stable they will be compared to the Miller and Lastman eras.

Any stability under Ford was brief. It's like Robbie calling for recorded votes, one he slows meetings down and two he gives the appearance that he actually cares in being mostly the lone opposing vote. The reality about the latter is more about how Robbie failed to impress upon other councillors the importance of defeating a motion through actually debating instead of just making statements.

True stability comes from talking things out not just talking.

Yes...they are essentially shut down. I get caught with every marathon as I head down early (before they close the streets) to the sunday St Lawrence antique market on the 504, and by the time I'm ready to head back home, the streetcars don't get through. What's worse, is there seems to be no contingency plans...the TTC, even though they have lots of prior knowledge of the even and the shut down of the streets, sends out the streetcars as if nothing was happening...it's quite comical. I think they act as if they are going to get through, but in reality, they don't.

So what you have is all the streetcars sitting around downtown with nowhere to go, and no way to get from east of Yonge to west of Spadina.

Now I know the city LOVES to disrupt streetcar service for any reason at all, but here's one important note I would love to send to City Hall.....YOU DON'T SHUT DOWN MAJOR PUBLIC TRANSIT LINES....****** FOR ANY REASON********.....EVER, UNLESS IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

It appears that someone is not planning alternative routes when they know a problem will exist. It's easy to blame something/someone than deal with a challenge.

Please don't turn things into a "atheism rules" thing.

Last edited:
It appears that someone is not planning alternative routes when they know a problem will exist. It's easy to blame something/someone than deal with a challenge.
Yep. I was trying to get from Yonge/Bloor to the CN Tower on the morning of the marathon (before subways were running) and it was a bit of a hassle but I didn't mind. I was going to take the 320 but it never came so I grabbed a Bixi bike and tried to take it to the CN Tower. I couldn't find a way to get across Bay Street, so I dropped off the bike at Yonge/Front and then used the PATH to get under. It was a bit of a hassle but I stopped for a few minutes at Bay Street and it was nice seeing thousands of runners having a good time.

Yes, it certainly is a great inconvenience to be unable to take the 504 for your antiquing a handful of Sundays in the year. It's a few hours. At most.

Is there some reason you can't just, you know, walk from Yonge to Spadina? It's at most a 15-20 minute walk, which strikes me as perfectly reasonable for a Sunday morning off.

It's disconcerting that Tory is choosing to pander on this issue. And to whom exactly? Petty complainers? Because that's what these kinds of complaints are - petty and nonsensical. Why target marathons? Why not the Santa Clause Parade?

Miller still got two terms, and decided not to seek a 3rd term.

Lots of Miller's lines (e.g. Crosstown) and SmartTrack could open during Tory's 2nd term. If both open and makes lots of Torontoians happy, that could be a path to a 3rd.

It's disconcerting that Tory is choosing to pander on this issue. And to whom exactly? Petty complainers? Because that's what these kinds of complaints are - petty and nonsensical. Why target marathons? Why not the Santa Clause Parade?

He's pandering to drivers.

Back