News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Perhaps the exchange above has run its course.

It is possible to dislike the presence of encampments and acknowledge the danger they pose to the residents of same; while equally admitting they exist, at least in part, because there aren't enough shelter beds; and because some of those beds
are in unreasonable conditions which are neither safe nor hygienic.

It is possible to agree that upon providing an indoor place people can go, which is both safe and hygienic, it is then reasonable to ask people to take up that opportunity and move along from encampments/parks.

It should also be possible to agree that for reasons both of compassion and self-interest (I want my park back) that this issue should be addressed with all due haste.
It is possible for all of those things, but they all require a sacrifice from the public for the public good, be it in tax income, re-thinking policing in general, as well as its involvements mental health care, and accepting that people of mixed privileges need to co-exist (shelters in all types of neighbourhoods).

Shouting that a problem exists and "make it go away" isn't the same as wanting change. It's demanding status quo.

It is possible for all of those things, but they all require a sacrifice from the public for the public good, be it in tax income, re-thinking policing in general, as well as its involvements mental health care, and accepting that people of mixed privileges need to co-exist (shelters in all types of neighbourhoods).

Shouting that a problem exists and "make it go away" isn't the same as wanting change. It's demanding status quo.

You know you're talking to someone who has advocated for all of the above.

I would just like the thread to move on to a more constructive engagement.

Two bodies in two years found in burned structures, with no public release of investigation results. Sure, you got me. I'm so embarrassed now, I'll just shut the heck up and not say another word, as my credibility has been totally destroyed by my flippancy.
Maybe time to go outside.

Toronto has hired a new police chief, who will takeover in December from interim chief Ramer. He's a 32-year veteran of the force.

I think we should always hire on the merits, but this will mark at least the second time where women were in serious contention of the job and didn't get it.

Toronto has yet to have a female chief. That's no disrespect to the new hire, just a passing observation.

Toronto has hired a new police chief, who will takeover in December from interim chief Ramer. He's a 32-year veteran of the force.

I think we should always hire on the merits, but this will mark at least the second time where women were in serious contention of the job and didn't get it.

Toronto has yet to have a female chief. That's no disrespect to the new hire, just a passing observation.
Though an insider is often the best choice, insiders can usually not see (or not like) the changes necessary to change an organisation and, god knows, the TPS needs to be shaken up! We shall see....

Personally I don't care if you are black, white, female or Martian what matters is that you know how to do your job and do it well.

Not sure this is a public service improvement, the website portal to report things takes AGES to complete and many problems do not have 'template'.

"Thank you for contacting 311 Toronto.

311 has recently launched its online portal and 311 Mobile App, giving access to over 400 Service Requests and its online knowledge base.

Effective immediately, 311 will no longer create Service Requests received via the 311 Toronto email channel. We ask that you please refer to the 311 – Toronto at Your Service – City of Toronto online portal, where you have access to create over 400 service requests.

Service Requests may also be created using our 311 Mobile App, available for download using the following link. https://www.toronto.ca/home/311-toronto-at-your-service/311-mobile-apps/. Alternatively, you can reach our contact centre 24/7 and speak with a representative to complete your request by dialing 3-1-1 (within city limits) or (416) 392-2489 (outside city limits).

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions or concerns."

I and many other UTers do not only complain about City services here; we also contact 311 so 'something might be done".

In the past, the fastest way for non-urgent matters, was to send an email. 311 have now ceased to accept emails and one must use their VERY time-consuming reporting site.

1664138265598.png

It MAY work fine for a simple matter but their options do not cover lots of what are, I think, common problems and one needs to OK a legal document on personal info and Terms of use.

Clearly they want to discourage reports!

I and many other UTers do not only complain about City services here; we also contact 311 so 'something might be done".

In the past, the fastest way for non-urgent matters, was to send an email. 311 have now ceased to accept emails and one must use their VERY time-consuming reporting site.

View attachment 428907

It MAY work fine for a simple matter but their options do not cover lots of what are, I think, common problems and one needs to OK a legal document on personal info and Terms of use.

I noticed when I tried to report property standards issues last year that there was no option for what I was reporting and I had to sit around looking at the option that was a good fit.

I gave up and called 311.

For those who are wondering. The issue was a basketball net that was left on the road for the entirety of last year (but never used) and ended up causing problems during the snowstorm in January.

This particular property also had a tree stump on the curb for a year after the city refused to pick it up. They are a known rooming house in the area.

View attachment 428907

What about tweeting? I know a number of people who have tweeted with quick response.

What about tweeting? I know a number of people who have tweeted with quick response.
Tweeting is not listed on their website as a preferred way to report - and no Twitter handle is given. I understand it is useful if incoming requests are categorised but not everything falls into one of their pre-designed categories and they do not have a 'general' one and I fail to see why one needs the legal stuff and needs to "Accept".

Not good timing, true or false.

Toronto city councillor Michael Thompson faces two charges of sexual assault and will plead not guilty, his lawyer told the Star.

The charges against Thompson, who is seeking re-election in Ward 21 Scarborough Centre, were laid by Bracebridge OPP, lawyer Calvin Barry told the Star’s Betsy Powell on Thursday.

“He’s pleading not guilty and will vigorously defend against these allegations and he is asserting his innocence and we will be co-operating with the authorities to hopefully have him exonerated in the near future,” Barry said.

Thompson could not be immediately reached for comment. His cellphone voicemail was full and not taking more messages. Messages left at his office and voicemail have not yet been returned.

Thompson chairs city council’s economic and social development committee and is a member of Mayor John Tory’s executive committee. Thompson is also one of Tory’s ceremonial deputy mayors.

Back