News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think she could plausibly get Carroll, Cheng, and Saxe. Maybe Perruzza?

Carroll was Mayor Miller's Budget Chief, if Chow can't on-board her, it will be a long, tortuous road.

Perruzza was once NDP, but he's rather flighty, verging on Mammolitti-esque.

On the upside Georgio always had a nose for power, and buttering up who ever had it....

Cheng is TBD at this point.......

Saxe, being very keen on the environment should be able to flip.........but.....

For reasons I cannot state publicly, I am not entirely confident on that.

There are a couple of other interesting people here..........Thomson has always shown favour to power.

Crawford is looking at exiting.....

Last edited:
Given that Cheng endorsed her at the last moment after it was clear that she was going to win, I suspect she'll be eager to, ah, find common ground with Chow, if you know what I mean.

Though it's not very clear how much Chow "owes" her - or whether it is more a suck up move.

AoD

Well, it's a start! Coming to Economic Development committee next week:

EC5.1 - Alcohol in Parks Pilot Program​

Consideration Type: ACTION

Wards: All

Origin​

(June 23, 2023) Report from the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation

Recommendations​

The General Manager of Parks, Forestry and Recreation recommends that:

1. City Council approve a time-limited Alcohol in Parks pilot program, as outlined in Attachment 1 to this report, from August 2, 2023 to October 9, 2023, in the following sites:

Park Name, Ward
  • Eglinton Park, Ward 8 - Eglinton-Lawrence
  • Earlscourt, Ward 9 - Davenport
  • Dufferin Grove Park, Ward 9 - Davenport
  • Campbell Avenue Playground and Park, Ward 9 - Davenport
  • Dovercourt Park, Ward 9 - Davenport
  • Roundhouse Park, Ward 10 - Spadina-Fort York
  • Trinity Bellwoods Park, Ward 10 - Spadina-Fort York
  • Christie Pits Park, Ward 11 - University-Rosedale
  • Queen's Park (110 Wellesley St W), Ward 11 - University-Rosedale
  • Sir Winston Churchill Park, Ward 12 - Toronto-St. Paul's
  • Corktown Common, Ward 13 - Toronto Centre
  • Greenwood Park, Ward 14 - Toronto-Danforth
  • Riverdale Park East, Ward 14 - Toronto-Danforth
  • Withrow Park, Ward 14 - Toronto-Danforth
  • Monarch Park, Ward 14 - Toronto-Danforth
  • Skymark Park, Ward 17 - Don Valley North
  • Lee Lifeson Art Park, Ward 18 - Willowdale
  • East Toronto Athletic Field, Ward 19 - Beaches-East York
  • Milliken Park, Ward 23 - Scarborough North
  • Neilson Park – Scarborough, Ward 25 - Scarborough-Rouge Park

Origin​

Recommendations​

1. City Council approve a time-limited Alcohol in Parks pilot program, as outlined in Attachment 1 to this report, from August 2, 2023 to October 9, 2023, in the following sites:

Park Name, Ward

Disappointing to see no beach!

Origin​

Recommendations​

Park Name, Ward

None of the waterfront parks/beaches jumps out at me, as does not of the valley parks, and no High Park.

None of the waterfront parks/beaches jumps out at me, as does not of the valley parks, and no High Park.
The criteria expressly say NO waterfront parks;

1687964775143.png

Origin​

Recommendations​

Park Name, Ward
Good to see several of the obvious major downtownish parks on there where people have been openly drinking for ages already. Nothing in Etobicoke though?

I'd give Chow major props if she manages to kill the east Gardiner rebuild. That should be one of her early priorities. If she can't achieve something like that as a left wing mayor, I'd be very worried about the rest of her mandate.

Disappointing to see no beach!
I'm in the middle on this. While I think all parks should be treated equally, alcohol and water activities go sour really quickly.

Per the The Canadian Red Cross:

"Recent polling research by the Canadian Red Cross shows an alarming discrepancy between Canadians’ risk of water-related injuries and their attitudes and behaviour towards water safety. For example, even though 82 per cent of Canadians believe there is a legal requirement to wear a lifejacket only 50 per cent of boat owners always wear one. In addition, for 51 per cent of Canadians, ‘not allowing children under 10 to access the pool area’ was their only strategy to prevent injuries related to backyard pools. Further, alcohol continues to play a contributing factor in drowning incidents with at least 26.5 per cent of fatalities being attributed to a blood alcohol level of above 80 mg% (for those over 15 years of age)."

More recent data from the Royal Life Saving Society puts that number at 24% in Ontario as well (we're #1 in alcohol related drownings, apparently).

If a quarter of all drownings are alcohol-related, then some limitations on alcohol near the water seems rather prudent.

I'm in the middle on this. While I think all parks should be treated equally, alcohol and water activities go sour really quickly.

Per the The Canadian Red Cross:

"Recent polling research by the Canadian Red Cross shows an alarming discrepancy between Canadians’ risk of water-related injuries and their attitudes and behaviour towards water safety. For example, even though 82 per cent of Canadians believe there is a legal requirement to wear a lifejacket only 50 per cent of boat owners always wear one. In addition, for 51 per cent of Canadians, ‘not allowing children under 10 to access the pool area’ was their only strategy to prevent injuries related to backyard pools. Further, alcohol continues to play a contributing factor in drowning incidents with at least 26.5 per cent of fatalities being attributed to a blood alcohol level of above 80 mg% (for those over 15 years of age)."

More recent data from the Royal Life Saving Society puts that number at 24% in Ontario as well (we're #1 in alcohol related drownings, apparently).

If a quarter of all drownings are alcohol-related, then some limitations on alcohol near the water seems rather prudent.

Most people enjoying the beach or associated parklands in Toronto do not go swimming. (over 95%)

There are licensed restaurants located within 2 waterfront parks.

I see no value in the restriction in terms or promoting less risk/greater safety.

Most people enjoying the beach or associated parklands in Toronto do not go swimming. (over 95%)

There are licensed restaurants located within 2 waterfront parks.

I see no value in the restriction in terms or promoting less risk/greater safety.
Let's not get too upset, this is a PILOT PROJECT and it makes sense to, at least this year, be cautious. If it works (as I am sure it will) we can press for an expansion next year and the year after.

Let's not get too upset, this is a PILOT PROJECT and it makes sense to, at least this year, be cautious. If it works (as I am sure it will) we can press for an expansion next year and the year after.

I'm not overly upset, its not a particular need of mine to daydrink in parks, LOL

Rather, I find the idea that we need to pilot something that's been done for years elsewhere a bit silly and tiresome, something of a Toronto trope at it were. Why make things more complex and cumbersome than they need be.........oh well.

Last edited:
Carroll was Mayor Miller's Budget Chief, if Chow can't on-board her, it will be a long, tortuous road.

Perruzza was once NDP, but he's rather flighty, verging on Mammolitti-esque.

On the upside Georgio always had a nose for power, and buttering up who ever had it....

Cheng is TBD at this point.......

Saxe, being very keen on the environment should be able to flip.........but.....

For reasons I cannot state publicly, I am not entirely confident on that.

There are a couple of other interesting people here..........Thomson has always shown favour to power.

Crawford is looking at exiting.....

Agreed on most of this. Peruzza is often progressive on labour issues and sometimes surprises on votes on social issues.

I can even see Bradford playing ball, especially if it means he keeps his planning chair role, which is something he clearly covets.

Please dish on the Saxe intel!

Last edited:
I'd give Chow major props if she manages to kill the east Gardiner rebuild. That should be one of her early priorities. If she can't achieve something like that as a left wing mayor, I'd be very worried about the rest of her mandate.
I have some doubts it will be done early on- my senses in terms of the things that could work against such a decision:
  • Cancellation is time-sensitive, but...
  • It could very much act as the Ford-equivalent killing of Transit City as a political lightning rod, and could estrange moderates/conservative-lites while galvanising conservatives for the next few election cycles (see Rae Days)- Even if logic supports the cancellation, emotions do not, and logic routinely loses in the political realm. Chow's mayoralty could very much be defined by this, the same way Ford is remembered for cancelling Transit City and Miller with the garbage strike.
  • Likewise, it could be a politically fraught process with easy pitfalls (i.e. budget overruns will be picked over by opponents) and plenty of political capital to potentially expend, while Ford will definitely be messing with the process.
  • Doug Ford, nothing else needs to be said.
  • Chow does not have a strong mandate, and still needs to build up her base of support and political capital, as can be seen through her conciliatory approach over these few days.
  • Unfortunately Tory is still popularly seen as a 'decent' mayor whose resignation came out of personal failings, so there will be some expectation to keep the apple cart unflipped, while proving that she's better than Ford in terms of not 'cancelling things'.
  • There are arguably lower hanging fruit (especially admin/policy-wise) that can give her administrations the early wins it needs- Ontario Place/Science Centre could very much be one of those.
  • Money can always be found elsewhere for the Scarborough busway.
Overall I expect Chow's first mandate to be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Last edited:

Back