News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It makes good sense for the province to pay the costs associated with the Gardiner and DVP, considering that 40% of trips are non-Toronto residents. The financial relief is welcome, but I'm less optimistic about the impacts of putting an urban highway under the purview of the MTO, which often acts as if pedestrians and cyclists don't exist, e.g.,:

As much as this is an urban highway, the City of Toronto should not be in the business of maintaining such significant infrastructure.

One key thing though, Pedestrians and Cyclists should not be on a highway. I am sorry but if I see someone riding a bike or walking down the shoulder of the highway I am calling the police to have them taken away for their own safety.

The DVP and Gardiner should have always been under the purview of the MTO given how significant it is not only in Toronto but in the GTA as a whole. They are both a 400 series highway by another name.

Sorry, I moved that post to the Gardiner thread because it's more relevant there:

One key thing though, Pedestrians and Cyclists should not be on a highway.
OK, well I think that goes without saying.

One key thing though, Pedestrians and Cyclists should not be on a highway. I am sorry but if I see someone riding a bike or walking down the shoulder of the highway I am calling the police to have them taken away for their own safety.
One of the problems is delivery people not setting the GPS to cycle mode. I have seen a number of UberEats etc. bike people riding on the Gardiner. They look terrified, and justifiably so.

Sooo, The City posted a job notice:

From the above:

1698441565280.png

Before anyone asks, there is zero chance they'd hire me, LOL

I have to say, I find the job posting rather drab. It reads as pro-forma copy/paste. Given the serious shake-up needed in PF&R, I would have liked to see some specific language around goals; that is what a new hire
will be expected to deliver.

Obviously one does not get into the nebulous details or personnel matters in a job posting............but....

I would liked to have seen this:

- Capable of leading a comprehensive turnaround of the organization
- Focusing on significant improvement in essential every day services, including, but not limited to proper, and timely infrastructure maintenance, working to provide year-round and extended season services where practical, prepared to identify where
service goals and public expectations are not being met, and deliver change to ensure those goals and expectations are met.
- Looking to provide bold leadership that will make Toronto's Parks and Recreation services a world leader in high quality, affordable and free, parks and recreation services.
- Looking to achieve the highest standards of ecology.
- Will help instill a culture of pride and accountability from senior management to the front line staff.

I would then like to see this:

The City's Parks, Forestry and Recreation division will supply any prospective candidate the department's existing plans, budgets, organizational charts and identify unmet needs and wait lists.

Candidates are encouraged to bring forward ideas for how they would change the department, with costing, if possible.

Sooo, The City posted a job notice:

From the above:

View attachment 516058

Before anyone asks, there is zero chance they'd hire me, LOL

I have to say, I find the job posting rather drab. It reads as pro-forma copy/paste. Given the serious shake-up needed in PF&R, I would have liked to see some specific language around goals; that is what a new hire
will be expected to deliver.

Obviously one does not get into the nebulous details or personnel matters in a job posting............but....

I would liked to have seen this:

- Capable of leading a comprehensive turnaround of the organization
- Focusing on significant improvement in essential every day services, including, but not limited to proper, and timely infrastructure maintenance, working to provide year-round and extended season services where practical, prepared to identify where
service goals and public expectations are not being met, and deliver change to ensure those goals and expectations are met.
- Looking to provide bold leadership that will make Toronto's Parks and Recreation services a world leader in high quality, affordable and free, parks and recreation services.
- Looking to achieve the highest standards of ecology.
- Will help instill a culture of pride and accountability from senior management to the front line staff.

I would then like to see this:

The City's Parks, Forestry and Recreation division will supply any prospective candidate the department's existing plans, budgets, organizational charts and identify unmet needs and wait lists.

Candidates are encouraged to bring forward ideas for how they would change the department, with costing, if possible.
At least it is being properly advertised. I was afraid it would be filled on the "Smith's turn" principle.

One of the problems is delivery people not setting the GPS to cycle mode. I have seen a number of UberEats etc. bike people riding on the Gardiner. They look terrified, and justifiably so.

At least they were on the Gardiner and not on a sidewalk. I have nearly been run over by these delivery idiots barrelling down the sidewalk on their bikes/E-bikes/scooters.

News Release

November 2, 2023

Westbound travel on Bloor Street West between Avenue Road and Spadina Avenue to close for road reconstruction

The City of Toronto’s work to reconstruct Bloor Street West – between Avenue Road and Spadina Avenue – to make safety and accessibility improvements is ahead of schedule. As a result, the City is accelerating the road reconstruction on the north side of Bloor Street West. Work on the north side, initially scheduled to start in the spring of 2024, will begin on Wednesday, November 8.

To complete this work, from November 8 until the end of December, there will be no westbound travel on Bloor Street West between Avenue Road and Spadina Avenue and only one eastbound travel lane and eastbound cycle track will be available. Sidewalks will remain open on both sides of the street.

During this phase, there will be signage noting a cycling detour for westbound travel on Bay Street, Wellesley Street, Hoskin Avenue/Harbord Street and Brunswick Avenue. Drivers travelling westbound can consider taking Dupont, Harbord or College Streets.

Once this phase is complete by the end of December, construction will pause over the winter months and the eastbound and westbound travel lanes and cycle track will reopen. In spring 2024, crews will complete the final stage of construction, which will make safety improvements to the intersections of Bloor and St. George Streets and Bloor Street and Spadina Avenue. This work will require full intersection closures. More information on the timing of this work will be available in spring 2024.

A number of construction needs are bundled into this project to complete the work as quickly as possible and minimize the overall disruption to road users, businesses and the community. The project began in July 2023 and so far, crews have repaired the sidewalks on the north and south sides of Bloor Street and reconstructed the south side of the road. The project is anticipated to be completed by July 2024.

During construction, drivers are advised to plan their travel in advance, expect delays, consider taking public transit and obey signage around work zones for the safety of the work crews.

. As a result, the City is accelerating the road reconstruction on the north side of Bloor Street West. Work on the north side, initially scheduled to start in the spring of 2024, will begin on Wednesday, November 8.

To complete this work, from November 8 until the end of December, there will be no westbound travel on Bloor Street West between Avenue Road and Spadina Avenue and only one eastbound travel lane and eastbound cycle track will be available. Sidewalks will remain open on both sides of the street.

Hmmm, That timing is curious given the constraints on hot asphalt this time of year.

I have seen them paving on Christmas eve - I think they keep producing asphalt until demand dries up and it has been avery mild fall.

Generally, my experience that the plants close ~ the first week of December, but there is some variation.

I don't see a guideline on Toronto's site, but Calgary has rules for placing asphalt in cold weather: (those roughly align w/local custom)

1698949247187.png

Source: https://bildcr.com/hot-mix-asphalt-...and-cement-concrete-cold-weather-requirements

Quick update on the Scarborough Southwest Ward 20 By-election that is less than a month away.

• So far, newcomer candidate Sudip Shome appears to have some campaign muscle, including support from the local PC machinery. Likewise, current trustee-turned-council candidate Malika Ghous has some endorsements from Liberal politicians.
  • I've been told that Kevin Rupasinghe has some ex-Chow campaign staffers on his team, but it is unlikely Chow will make a formal endorsement for him or any candidate.
  • Way too early to predict the winner, but I expect the four frontrunners are Shome, Ghous, Rupasinghe, or last year's runner-up, Parthi Kandavel. Engagement with the large Bengali and Tamil electorate will be very important.

Engagement with the large Bengali and Tamil electorate will be very important.

I know from previous experience in Federal Elections in this area that the Tamil and Bengali electorate does not count for much. Most of them are either unwilling to vote or unable due to the fact they are not citizens.

I do not see Shome or Malika going very far but I can see this being a 2 horse race between Parti and Kevin.

This is solely based on my experience living in the ward since the days of Gerry Altobello!

This is not a City of Toronto specific story, nor one about city government, but at the moment, I can't think of a better 'general' thread in which to place it:

RioCan is pausing ALL construction starts. (not ongoing projects, but those that have yet to break ground)

From the above:

1699053700780.png

They will use any surplus funds to lower the REIT's existing debt, for now

1699053778746.png

Back