News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

In regards to the flood gates not being lower......city staff promised they will Try Harder next time.

Another example of lack of accountability from whoever the City Manager is.

In regards to the flood gates not being lower......city staff promised they will Try Harder next time.

Another example of lack of accountability from whoever the City Manager is.

Paul Johnson is the City Manager.

You can certainly lodge a complaint with him, though, to the extent its that he didn't stand in front of a camera and own the issue, I think that might be better directed to the Mayor.

@DSC did a good job (see post on previous page) of getting an explanation for what was/was not done here. That really lies w/Transportation. I'm not sure the staff on the ground actually made any mistakes as such in the circumstances they found themselves. The automated gate closing system didn't work. Closing the gates manually required staff who weren't on site, those who were had barrels to deliver the same effect.

Should the system have worked, of course! Was the communication system, and the choice made as to who to train to manually operate the gates inadequate, yes, absolutely.

Those choices lie with Transportation. So you may wish to take it up w/that department.

Their complains page is here:

Not sure where to put this but it is worth sharing..

An older building on Dundas West at August is on the verge of collapsing. Given the pictures, age of the building and what I suspect is lack of proper maintenance it makes you stop and think.

There are plenty of these older buildings along Broadview, Gerrard, Dundas and Queen which look like they have not been structurally or otherwise maintained in years.

It makes you wonder what can be done about it and the condition of some of the other buildings I noted above.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/08...as-st-w-over-concerns-building-may-collapse/?

An older building on Dundas West at August is on the verge of collapsing. Given the pictures, age of the building and what I suspect is lack of proper maintenance it makes you stop and think.

There are plenty of these older buildings along Broadview, Gerrard, Dundas and Queen which look like they have not been structurally or otherwise maintained in years.

It makes you wonder what can be done about it and the condition of some of the other buildings I noted above.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/08...as-st-w-over-concerns-building-may-collapse/?

Not the first collapse that I can recall - makes you wonder what the city's building inspectors are doing.

AoD

Not the first collapse that I can recall - makes you wonder what the city's building inspectors are doing.

AoD

I take the 504 up Broadview on a regular basis for work and some of the buildings from Broadview and Dundas all the way up to Gerrard look like they have seen better days.

Some of the buildings have you questioning if they still meet Ontario Building code.

Let me bring the image forward:

1723822655249.png

10 people evacuated from the premises. I assume that would be the apartments upstairs in each of the 3 buildings/units that may be compromised. Clearly the middle unit is a goner, but I see quite the lean on the one to its left, the one on the right seems more stable, but may not be if it loses a party wall.

Edit: Found a roofline pic over at BlogTO:

1723824536724.png

Source: https://www.blogto.com/city/2024/08/people-evacuated-building-collapse-toronto/

You can see how the most affected building roof has slumped down, if you look at the effect both on the far building (open to attic/floor space) and the near one (look at he wave of the shingles), this appears to seriously compromise at least 4 storefront buildings.

Last edited:
How does that even happen on its own?

I'm just relieved it's not one of the pretty historic buildings 😄

How does that even happen on its own?

I'm just relieved it's not one of the pretty historic buildings 😄
This kind of collapse usually happens because, over the years, the building has been altered and major support beams have been cut or rotted. They probably began as homes with small rooms and those on main floor were 'merged' so supports were removed so they could be used as stores.

Last edited:
New Info, construction crew working across the street saw the facade/roof moving and were the ones to phone 911. I assume this would be the crew working at MRKT. Good on them.

Also - Toronto Fire has confirmed that if the building doesn't finish its collapse soon, that Toronto Building will move to controlled demolition. Engineers on site. Hydro and gas currently being disconnected.

New Info, construction crew working across the street saw the facade/roof moving and were the ones to phone 911. I assume this would be the crew working at MRKT. Good on them.

Also - Toronto Fire has confirmed that if the building doesn't finish its collapse soon, that Toronto Building will move to controlled demolition. Engineers on site. Hydro and gas currently being disconnected.
So the city has to pick up the bill for someone not maintaining their property?

No. They will add it to their tax bill.

Simply put, in situations like this you cannot rely on the property owner to do what actually needs to be done. It is a major safety concern and the City of Toronto cannot wait weeks or months to ensure it is handled.

Richard is more or less correct. The bill won't go on their property tax as a first move; but yes, the City will seek to recover costs from the owner and/or their insurer.

The City's presence here is that its an emergency, and something needs to be done now, the City has the resources to do that, and the authority, in a way a typical building owner would not.

Richard is more or less correct. The bill won't go on their property tax as a first move; but yes, the City will seek to recover costs from the owner and/or their insurer.

The City's presence here is that its an emergency, and something needs to be done now, the City has the resources to do that, and the authority, in a way a typical building owner would not.

Indeed.

NT correct me if I am wrong but if this was done normally, would the owner not need to apply for a demolition permit among other things?

Having the City of Toronto do this on an emergency basis cuts out all the red tape with regards to permits, crews, etc.

This kind of collapse usually happens because, over the years, the building has been altered and major support beams have been cut or rotted. Thee probably began as homes with small rooms and those on main floor were 'merged' so supports were removed so they could be used as stores.
Look at streetview I think the storefronts have always been separate, but I don't doubt there have been compromises made to the support structure, the most significant being that of neglect.

TBH, some properties on the fringes of Chinatown are borderline slum properties including that infamous corner on Baldwin and Spadina, and you can tell that little maintenance and investment has gone into those buildings.

Back