News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Those would require electricity, no? Anyway, thanks so much for enlightening me.

why do you think christmas is more commercialized now than it was in 1897?

why do you think christmas is more commercialized now than it was in 1897?

I made a simple one sentence observation about how things have changed in the past century after viewing the Eaton Christmas catalogue and your riding me about it, and I don't understand why. Perhaps it's a good thing, perhaps a bad thing, it was only an observation.
I wasn't around in 1897 but by all accounts over the years from my grand parents (now deceased) things were nothing like this when they were growing up, my parents say the same. My recollections are that midnight mass was of the first order, then a gift was given to children on Christmas morning and husbands & wives exchanged a gift but things began to change around the 1950's and onward. Today I myself can't go anywhere without being bombarded with buy-buy-buy - be it on the Internet with ads & pop-ups, when I open my email in the morning and am greeted with countless Christmas promotional junk mails, snail mail junk & fliers, endless TV ads, store windows and Christmas merchandise placed at the front of most every type of store from Pharmacies to optical stores.
To be clear, I don't like Christmas; all the fuss and stress is way too much for me. To everyone else who enjoys the season - fantastic! Merry Christmas!

I made a simple one sentence observation about how things have changed in the past century after viewing the Eaton Christmas catalogue and your riding me about it, and I don't understand why. Perhaps it's a good thing, perhaps a bad thing, it was only an observation.
I wasn't around in 1897 but by all accounts over the years from my grand parents (now deceased) things were nothing like this when they were growing up, my parents say the same. My recollections are that midnight mass was of the first order, then a gift was given to children on Christmas morning and husbands & wives exchanged a gift but things began to change around the 1950's and onward. Today I myself can't go anywhere without being bombarded with buy-buy-buy - be it on the Internet with ads & pop-ups, when I open my email in the morning and am greeted with countless Christmas promotional junk mails, snail mail junk & fliers, endless TV ads, store windows and Christmas merchandise placed at the front of most every type of store from Pharmacies to optical stores.
To be clear, I don't like Christmas; all the fuss and stress is way too much for me. To everyone else who enjoys the season - fantastic! Merry Christmas!

dude, chill. i'm not riding you. we're just having a conversation here. i just wanted to know why you felt the way you did on the subject.

back to the subject, i think christmas seems more commercialized now than then because of technical innovations in media and advertising and inexpensive means of getting information out there. there's also more stuff in the marketplace to sell now, shipping is faster & the marketplace is global and accessible to everyday people. those are just some examples.

I agree that the holiday season has become way too commercialized over the years.

I think we should take time to pause and remember the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Santa Claus.

I agree that the holiday season has become way too commercialized over the years.

I think we should take time to pause and remember the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Santa Claus.

Yeah, which leads us back to Coca-Cola and commercialization. Darned Hadden Sundblom...

Merry Christmas to all. Be good this holiday season and you'll receive a big present from Urban Toronto next year.

potd-HappyHolidays2010-Redroom.jpg

Many thanks to Redroom Studios for the graphic.

Back