News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

MT Gets a better deal as well delivery time since they buy 40+ for 40' per year as well 60'.

TTC IS Marry to Orion and don't want a divorce considering they have a bad partner who is taking they for a ride.

BT just place a 3 year order to NFI

Speaking of MT's buses, I've already seen the 09xx's

Here's the official announcement at http://www.cnw.ca/en/releases/archive/Dece...8/17/c2587.html . Note for those not aware, "City View" is an El Dorado distributor so the 30 foot models are presumably EZ Riders:

TORONTO, Dec. 17 /CNW/ - Metrolinx, together with twelve municipalities,
has just made the largest collective bus purchase in Ontario's history. New
Flyer Industries Canada ULC and City View Bus Sales are projected to build and
supply up to 160 buses.
"In the current economic climate, these newly-awarded contracts will
support our economy by protecting Canadian manufacturing jobs," said Rob
MacIsaac, Chair of Metrolinx.
"Getting more people onto transit will reduce pollution and congestion. I
am pleased that Metrolinx has spearheaded the purchase of technologically
advanced buses for small and medium municipalities," said Transportation
Minister Jim Bradley. "Municipalities can decrease operating costs and improve
service reliability, making transit a more attractive choice for their
residents."
The twelve participating municipalities are: Barrie, Burlington, Cobourg,
Durham Region, Elliot Lake, Hamilton, London, Milton, North Bay, Sarnia, St.
Catharines and York Region.
Metrolinx facilitated a joint transit procurement initiative with its
partners using common vehicle specifications and consolidating bus orders
which could be valued at up to $70 million.
"By working collaboratively, we can obtain lower prices and reduced
administrative costs associated with the procurement process. We are helping
municipalities leverage government funding to invest in transit vehicles and
thus improve transit service," MacIsaac continued. "It also allows us to
consider factors such as environmental performance, fuel economy and advanced
technology in a consistent and cost-effective way."
This is the first procurement of transit vehicles complying with the
provincial Canadian content policy.
Metrolinx is a Crown agency of the Province of Ontario. For more
information, visit our website at www.metrolinx.com.

I was just reading the Winnipeg Free Press and that Metrolinx article caught my eye. I didn't know that my old home of St. Catharines was under Metrolinx scope. This article is good news for many different regions except Toronto doesn't get any of these new busses! Oh well-I am sure Metrolinx will heavily invest in TO down the road. I hope these New Flyer buses work out well for all the different regions getting some. I am also glad that Winnipeg is getting a large part of the 160 bus order, their economy is weathering this recession well.

I was just reading the Winnipeg Free Press and that Metrolinx article caught my eye. I didn't know that my old home of St. Catharines was under Metrolinx scope.
It is and it isn't.

St. Catharines is NOT part of the Metrolinx planning area, but this procurement program is open to agencies provincewide.

I havent had a chance to go through the final plan in any detail, so could some one tell me if/when they plan on electrifying the lakeshore west line?

I'm also wondering if they will bend and electrify the Pearson-Union link?

I havent had a chance to go through the final plan in any detail, so could some one tell me if/when they plan on electrifying the lakeshore west line?

Yes and more than likely.

The Lakeshore upgrades are considered a priority project, while the first priority on the Georgetown corridor is to actually get the tracks in place then go from there.

Speaking of MT's buses, I've already seen the 09xx's

MT has had the whole order for a few months. The last arrived in Oct. The first 12 of the 24 El Dorado EZ-Rider II/MAX are supposed to be here this month with the balance in Sept.

Another 20 could be added to that order to replace the 40 Orion V1 sooner than later. This would be 10% of the fleet.

It will be 10 years before we see any of these routes electrified.due to track ownership.

GO is buying the tracks, and has been working on it for quite some time actually. Yes it might take a while, but track ownership won't be a problem for much longer.

Hello everyone. I'm new on this site since I moved to Toronto from Montreal 2 months ago. So before giving my opinion, I read alot about the transit system here. Here is what I think:

1-I think that the overall Metrolinx plan is a good initiative to help resolve public trasportation issues. In Montreal, public transportation spendings are ''taboo'' and the city as well as the provincial government has no plan at all. So even if its not perfect, its still better than nothing.

2-The bus system is superior to Montreal. The STM sold all the old buses but the first generation of low-floor buses were scrap and the bus service is terrible because there are almost 450 bus missing. Toronto was smart to keep some of the old buses. I think Toronto could add more reserved lanes for bus.

3-The Toronto subway system is more efficient and comfortable but for some reason I find that the montreal trains goes faster and have better acceleration. The stations in Montreal looks better. The subway system is too small for a city like Toronto.

4-I really like the Streetcars here. Great addition to the network. In Montreal, they are allergic the word streetcar.

5-When I look at the transit City project: I like it except for Sheppard East and Eglington. Sheppard should be a subway line and then should go west to at least Jane. If the Yonge-Spadina line are not connected it will be catastrophic in the future. If we didnt had the blue line to connect the orange line in MTL, it would have been a mess.

The Eglington LRT should just be a subway. There is already an underground line that to my understanding cost almost just as much. If you want to connect Scarborough to the airport, an LRT is not the solution.

I wonder just how fast are they going to be?

... but for some reason I find that the montreal trains goes faster and have better acceleration.
Part of this is that the Montreal trains are narrower and therefore a bit lighter. Another is that they have been using automatic train control in Montreal for well over 30 years (except for Line 4 I believe) - while it won't be running on the first Toronto line until sometime in the middle of the next decade.

^ Aren't Mtl. trains faster, in addition to nfitz's reasons, because of the rubber tires? Better traction, higher acceleration. If not for this damn winter of ours, I would love for our subways to be built with rubber tires. Ohh, I'm not sure about this, but I have heard that metro stations in Mtl. are built on 'hills' relative to their preceding and following track segments. So, there is a gradual uphill as a train enters the station, slowing it, and a small downhill leaving the station letting gravity speed it up. That could be a good idea as we build new stations.

Back