News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In every other Ontario city getting an LRT there is no point in making the distinction as every LRV will be accessible, they do not have any legacy streetcars or non-accessible LRVs at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that Ottawa and KW don't have any non-accessible transit vehicles period, all of their buses should be low-floor by now. Toronto is probably one of only major Ontario cities left, if not the only one, with even a single non-accessible surface transit vehicle remaining.

Ottawa has been fully accessible for quite a while. While I understand the blue lights original intention I think they're now a permanent Toronto feature. A bit off topic but while I'm thinking of accessibility all new stations being built in Ottawa now have redundant elevators, which also seems to be the case in some stations in Toronto I've been where elevators have been retrofitted. I'm wondering if the standards changed versus older things built in the 80s and 90s that typically only have one elevator.

More relevant to this discussion is the Ottawa vehicles have stanchions, whereas the flexities (and TRs) don't in order to improve the flow for those in wheelchairs. I'd imagine Toronto's citadii would also be stanchion free

Ottawa has been fully accessible for quite a while. While I understand the blue lights original intention I think they're now a permanent Toronto feature. A bit off topic but while I'm thinking of accessibility all new stations being built in Ottawa now have redundant elevators, which also seems to be the case in some stations in Toronto I've been where elevators have been retrofitted. I'm wondering if the standards changed versus older things built in the 80s and 90s that typically only have one elevator.

More relevant to this discussion is the Ottawa vehicles have stanchions, whereas the flexities (and TRs) don't in order to improve the flow for those in wheelchairs.
The TRs however have a lot of things to hold on the ceiling.

Crush-loaded into a Flexity on 510 the other day, near the cockpit, I realised that I had nothing to hold onto with one hand, and a child's hand in the other. Need more straps or something to hold onto.

And why not put poles in the non-wheelchair sections?

The TRs however have a lot of things to hold on the ceiling.

Crush-loaded into a Flexity on 510 the other day, near the cockpit, I realised that I had nothing to hold onto with one hand, and a child's hand in the other. Need more straps or something to hold onto.

And why not put poles in the non-wheelchair sections?

I don't think there's any reason not too, but I thought the TTC made a big deal about advertising the TRs as completely open without them, and thus PR wise it would seem a step backwards since introducing them elsewhere is "old fashioned". That's not a unique to Toronto thing. Here in Ottawa we're building a light metro, so why would we bother using low floor cars? The answer was the original intention when the vehicles were ordered was that things would be more like the crosstown. Towards the edges at grade crossings and less elaborate stations, but just as all of that was finalized the Via rail double decker crash happened, and so now anything but full grade separation here is now politically untenable.

Last edited:
None of these routes will be grade-separated!

Poles might be out, but what about the ceiling modifications they made on the TRs?

I assume if it was an option then it would have been chosen, but maybe I'm wrong. The LRVs are more off-the-shelf then the TR trains. Everyone seems to heavily customize every detail on a subway train.

Another citadis pic at the underground St Laurent station, courtesy of the mayor of Ottawa. It obviously wouldn't be hard to swap the yellow markers for blue. This train isn't totally complete, they do these runs when the train is almost finished being assembled.

DUaV3zFVwAAIO7P

I think because they are still doing a lot of work on the line and it's not as acasable to the public where they are being tested as well.

There's not a lot of places along the line where it's running where you could take a video. There is this one of a running train:

I've never actually seen one in motion myself. I've seen them parked up and down the line, but live too far to have caught one in action.

I'm hoping with doors open Ottawa this year they'll open up the MSF and let us actually go on a train like KW did with their open house

Found a new one:

If your curious what they're building there behind the train, it's the extended train shed for Stage 2, which will start construction immediately after stage 1 is open. Even though Stage 1 hasn't opened yet, they've already started enlarging the MSF. So in the 10 year span for both stages we'll have gone from the 5 very basic (e.g. GO Train style) stations for the O-Train to 48 stations on two lines, of which 7 are underground.

The tunnel the train comes out of in this video isn't part of revenue service. It goes under the VIA rail mainline and a couple of streets where it connects to the confed line.

Last edited:
It's the swoosh along the side that makes it kind of old fashioned. It wasn't my favourite of the design options but it won because it had the most white paint, which is apparently cheaper to maintain.

Back