News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

semantics...we all get what he means..... dont need to be that anal
I keep seeing the same error though. And it is misleading - I've assumed along, that this would be minimum 2-car operation like the Eglinton line because of the consistent misuse of the word "train" by some posters. I'd also never realized that the forecast ridership was so low!

Language has meaning. Just because one person understands what it means, doesn't mean that all do.

Dear Lord of Terminology nfitz,

What praytell, may we thus have your blessing to use as a short, generic identifier for a single-operator vehicle (a "car") or vehicles (a "train") without specifically indicating the number of cars to be use, and without needlessly adding complexity to our casual conversation?

I did not realize that, as a system being built to handle multi-car trains, we were forbidden to use that word until the first day that such a train sees use.

For that I sincerely and deeply apologize.

~ Markster

I don't understand the dramatics. It's not like we refer to the streetcars on Spadina or Queensway as trains. And that's much more what this line in Waterloo is, than the Eglinton line.

These are "streetcar trains", that used to run in Toronto:
streetcar-4115-04.jpg

streetcar-4709-80.jpg

In common parlance, a long passenger vehicle on rails is a train. And common parlance makes more sense than the above technical definition, since there really is no meaningful distinction to be made between a long articulated passenger rail vehicle and a train of smaller ones.

It drives me nuts when I hear people at Canada's Wonderland refer to trains on roller coasters as "cars". Like they call the whole train a "car". "They just put another car on". No, they put another train on, thank you very much.

re: FLEXITY Freedom: 1 train = 5 modules or cars (your choice), with module/car 1, 3 and 5 having wheels.

If you call the whole train a "car", then how many "cars" is a TGV with Jacobs bogies, then, hmm?

wow....seriously....can we just move on...this is turning into a pointless soap opera over 2 words...... both sides just get over it!

These just a bus or a "train"?
article-2198063-14D36639000005DC-118_962x484.jpg

Worlds+Longest+Bus.jpg

They're just articulated buses, not trains.

Now this is getting ridiculous:
awesome-double-deck-longest-bus.jpg

(Passengers will still enter and exit ONLY through the front door, and ignore the rest.)

Last edited:
TTC is referring to the 5-module Flexity streetcars as a car.

What's your point? Outside of Toronto, nobody calls a 3+ segment rail vehicle a car. Toronto doesn't know any better because they only have CLRV's and ALRV's and the concept of a modern multi-segment LRV is something that is totally new and incomprehensible, so it's understandable I guess that the terminology sticks. You just don't know any better, so I can forgive that.

You also didn't answer me about the TGV. :p

Would a two-module streetcar be a train?

It depends on how it's articulated, I'd have to see the wheel geometry to determine that.

What's your point? Outside of Toronto, nobody calls a 3+ segment rail vehicle a car. Toronto doesn't know any better because they only have CLRV's and ALRV's and the concept of a modern multi-segment LRV is something that is totally new and incomprehensible, so it's understandable I guess that the terminology sticks. You just don't know any better, so I can forgive that.
Toronto only has CLRVs and ALRVs? There's currently 14 Flexity vehicles in Toronto - do 14 vehicles not count for anything?

I've ridden similar vehicles in Seattle, and they don't call them trains there - they call them streetcars. In London they call them trams.

Back