News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not with the hullabaloo about changing the name "Dundas". "Roncesvalles" would be a better name.
I don't think so. Roncesvalles starts a few blocks south of Bloor and doesn't directly lead to the GO station.
If someone is traveling northbound on Roncesvalles and they continue without turning, they soon reach the subway station entrance, then an entrance to the GO/UPX station (at the Shoppers/FreshCo lot), even if presently the name of the street oddly changes just before they get there.

The present names for the TTC station, GO/UPX station, and this part of Dundas Street West are confusing to anyone who is not familiar with the western side of the city, and it causes all kinds of problems, as I have pointed out in other posts.
Even local radio traffic reports and news stories frequently mention "Dundas and Bloor" and never specify which one of the two intersections they mean (the other is in the former Etobicoke). Map apps, and subsequently delivery and other people using them, get directed to the wrong area of the city.

The subway and train stations are soon to be joined, but have different names from each other, yet both have names that tourists confuse with the other TTC stations with the same (or almost the same) name. Yet again this weekend I saw a confused person asking about the location of their hotel (I'm reasonably certain there aren't any near here).
(Superfluous personal story -- A few years ago at the FreshCo I got in line at the 16 items or less checkout, and the guy immediately in front of me was the American comedian Jim Gaffigan, buying a Twix. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to bother him, but in hindsight I wonder if he was also maybe someone who had mistakenly disembarked the subway or UPX at the wrong stop.)

It's just the stretch of the present Dundas St W that runs in a north-south direction here that would make sense to have its name switched over to Roncesvalles, up to where it crosses Annette. The street numbers on the buildings, assuming those could stay the same, on Roncesvalles Ave would make a sudden jump from 492 to 2211 and also have odd and even numbers changing sides.
The rest of the present Dundas St, downtown or in Mississauga, etc., can stay named as Dundas or something else -- it doesn't matter to me, although to avoid confusion it would probably make sense to give another different name to the remaining part of it that meanders through the western part of the city and the former Etobicoke.

Last edited:
Dundas West Station was originally to be named "Vincent Station"—after a small local street erased by the adjacent Crossways apartment block, and also the name of the loop which had been the western end of the King streetcar line—but the TTC decided to begin its convention of ‘[Street-name] West’ (a practice it had avoided with the University line stations). The Vincent designation was instead applied to the subway yard constructed immediately south-west of the station.

TTC_4041_%28PCC%29_a_VINCENT_KING_car%2C_downtown_Toronto%2C_ONT_on_September_8%2C_1965_%2822592671305%29.jpg

From link.

ttc-4206-vincent-loop-19640518.jpg

streetcar-4104-01.jpg

Hard to imagine how naming a station for a street that does not exist would help with wayfinding.

The Ford Government has introduced new legislation recently.

There will be this new funding tool called the “Station Contribution Fee” where municipalities can fund GO stations and recover the costs as TOCs.

1695674972050.png

Also, allows the TTC to enter cross-boundary agreements with the 905 agencies, likely to allow the 905 agencies to pick/drop off passengers travelling with city limits.

1695675426928.png

Last edited:
You might call it a common sense revolution! :)
Except it seems designed to avoid providing any meaningful funding to the TTC.

If it was a proposal to fund any transit station built with Transit Oriented Development in mind, it would go a lot further.

Except it seems designed to avoid providing any meaningful funding to the TTC.

If it was a proposal to fund any transit station built with Transit Oriented Development in mind, it would go a lot further.
It's yet another tool. I can see many municipalities benefitting from the greater flexibility here. Many don't seem to plan for new GO stations as of now, and if they do, there's a big hooplah about it- see SmartTrack.

I for one would like to see Hamilton get in on this and take the opportunity to get just a few infill stations planned for (and eventually built more quickly). Centre Mall, Fifty Road, Dundurn even, etc. Realistically this can apply to the entire Niagara extension to speed things along. I feel like this is a good incentive for even Metrolinx themselves, who can offload some of the costs of building the *stations* themselves on say, a Bolton Line.

Back