News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've heard no suggestions that they wouldn't continue to take cash. The new vending machines they are getting ready for the new streetcars are designed to take cash, in addition to Presto.

I'm not sure what a "10-ride" is anymore. GO doesn't do them, and TTC sells tokens at the $2.65 rate, in quantities as low as 3.

But surely lots of people use cash. You hear change being put in the farebox frequently when riding - it's a very different sound than a single token.

And it's not surprising, given the cash fare is only $3 compared to $2.65 for those tiny tokens that everyone loses. You don't have to lose many of those, to make the cash cheaper ... and it's certainly more convenient. I certainly use tokens and tickets ... but I can understand why many don't bother.

It will be interesting to see how many end up using debit and credit cards, and are willing to pay the $3 fare compared to the $2.65 fare with Presto.

Download this PDF on the new streetcar implementation plan from this link. Pages 11 to 13 in the PDF describe the Fare Collection to be used with the new streetcars. A Proof-Of-Payment (POP) will be required with a Single-Ride Vending Machine (SRVM) for non-PRESTO payment during a transition period.

A Proof-Of-Payment (POP) will be required with a Single-Ride Vending Machine (SRVM) for non-PRESTO payment during a transition period.
Precisely. The plan once Presto is fully implemented is that you can either pay with Presto or cash - and instead of being given a transfer like you currently do on POP routes, you get a POP receipt from machine.

For cash, I wonder if the machines will take paper money, in addition to coins? The machines will accept debit/credit cards. Maybe in the future, they'll accept a $5 coin.

Here's some news.

Was just talking to my offspring who attends UofT and lives on Charles W. It has been a frustration for her and many of her fellow students that Museum Station did not have Presto readers. You see, there are a ton of students some who live on residence and a lot who commute...Museum is a very convenient station.....but with no presto they often walk up to St. George (I think the general theme is that their parents' credit card is autoloading the presto card but tokens come out of their spending money ;) ) to use presto.

She very excitedly just told me that Presto is being installed at Museum (she thinks the signs say from end of September to Mid November there will be works for the installation)....this makes sense and it makes me wonder if they are going to be doing more installations at more subway stops in advance of the new streetcar operations commencing next spring.

I haven't heard anything on this since, but back when the TTC and Metrolinx signed the Presto master agreement earlier this year I recall it being mentioned that all subway stations would have Presto by the end of this year. I'm skeptical of this happening, or it even being an official statement.

I haven't heard anything on this since, but back when the TTC and Metrolinx signed the Presto master agreement earlier this year I recall it being mentioned that all subway stations would have Presto by the end of this year. I'm skeptical of this happening, or it even being an official statement.

There were a half-dozen workers taking apart the transfer machines and some other equipment last night at Museum (they started between 8:30pm and 10pm). Looked like they were preparing to rewire that area.

Can't say for other stations, but Museum is clearly in progress.

Every station having Presto by the end of this year would be amazing! No more cash fares/walking. Or at least less. The next step, all the streetcars and buses, is going to take a while....

Was wondering when we would see another subway station go online with Presto.

Every station having Presto by the end of this year would be amazing! No more cash fares/walking. Or at least less. The next step, all the streetcars and buses, is going to take a while....

I usually just make sure I have some tokens on me. That said, one good thing about Presto on the TTC is that I can charge my fare to my credit card rather than taking out $20-$40 to buy said tokens.

Tokens? They are such a hassle. I hate cash. I don't even carry any type of coinage on me generally speaking unless I expect to need it. Usually keep my coins in the car.

Can't say for other stations, but Museum is clearly in progress.
Museum is the prototype for TTC's Presto installation. This was reported back in January in one of the ACAT meetings - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/ACA...g_and_reports/2013/January_31_Meeting_261.jsp

Museum Station was chosen as the prototype establishing the civil works design and construction requirements for power, communications, and placement of equipment.

I can't imagine any other stations will be done in 2013, reading Section 5.6 of the most recent CEO's report. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...September_25/Reports/CHIEF_EXECUTIVE_OFFI.pdf

Tokens? They are such a hassle. I hate cash. I don't even carry any type of coinage on me generally speaking unless I expect to need it. Usually keep my coins in the car.

I just keep them in my coin pouch with my other change. Not usually an issue, plus I can use the quick entrance turnstiles if there is no Presto machine is available.

Now if they still made them look exactly like nickels...

I wish TTC still sold tickets. It is easier for manly masculine men. Carrying change is already a hassle enough. I need something that can fit in the wallet, like Presto.

Back