News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I noticed today at union station that some genius installed a presto card reader between a bench and a support pillar, so it is rather difficult to access.

Don't blame the installer; these things were positioned by engineering since they required trenching of power/communications conduit.

The revised PRESTO web site is now up at http://www.prestocard.ca. Among other things, this includes functionality to activate and register cards and such.

There is a purchase link but it naturally says that PRESTO cards will be for sale in the spring.

There is also new FAQ information on the site. It provides some TTC details: Bloor/Yonge, College, Dundas, Queen’s Park, St. George, St. Patrick in Spring 2010; Kipling and Islington Subway Stations in Fall 2010; Don Mills, Downsview and Finch Subway Stations in Winter 2011). Yes, no STC which is a mistake.

To followup the discussion a few messages ago about the machine types, this page shows the balance checker and payment machines.

https://www.prestocard.ca/StaticContent/HowToUsePRESTO

Last edited:
Dave:

Just to be clear, say I'm going from my local transit stop to Union Station.

I tap-on when I board the Brampton Transit bus, tap-on again at the GO station, then tap-off when I get to Union, correct?

The video on the site isn't clear about that...

Dave:

Just to be clear, say I'm going from my local transit stop to Union Station.

I tap-on when I board the Brampton Transit bus, tap-on again at the GO station, then tap-off when I get to Union, correct?

The video on the site isn't clear about that...

That's exactly right as the general case.

However, you probably do the Brampton-Union trip as your most common trip on GO, you would probably want to have GO designate that as your default trip. If you do so, you would NOT need to tap-off at Union (or at Brampton if doing the return trip). You would only need to tap off if you are doing a trip that *isn't* your default trip.

It's also worth noting that when you tap on at Brampton Station, the system will note that you have qualified for a co-fare and refund a large portion of your Brampton Transit trip to bring the total fare for that trip to the co-fare level.

What about GO buses? I'm assuming it will also be tap-on / tap-off, but sometimes I take the Orangeville GO bus instead of Brampton Transit. Will it know i'm transferring or will it start a new journey (and charge a new base-fare)?

What about GO buses? I'm assuming it will also be tap-on / tap-off, but sometimes I take the Orangeville GO bus instead of Brampton Transit. Will it know i'm transferring or will it start a new journey (and charge a new base-fare)?

It'll be tap-on/tap-off as well. As for transferring, I don't know about that - I'll see if I can find out - but I would assume that multiple tap-off/tap-on combinations within a reasonable period of time would be considered one journey. The same would presumably apply to train trips requiring multiple trains, or to the use of train-bus connections (e.g. going from Union to St Catharines).

Wow, super-lame website. This is so exciting.

The TTC seems to be the only system which is taking EONS to implement PRESTO. Maybe the 2010 election will change things.

It's back a couple of pages now, but the TTC finally agreed to full Presto participation about two weeks ago. I noticed that some of the copy on the new Presto site actually mentions this development, but because it's such a recent decision, a schedule for rollout has yet to be announced.

Last edited:
The Presto FAQ page says that you can't tap (i.e. the machine won't be able to read it) for another 15 minutes after you go through. What if your next trip is in less than 15 minutes (e.g. you get on the subway at Bloor, get off at College to transfer to a streetcar)? Does this mean you need a transfer?

I can't see it working unless it becomes a timed transfer. Like every time you tap to pay a fare, that lets you get off & on the TTC for the next 2 hours.

The Presto FAQ page says that you can't tap (i.e. the machine won't be able to read it) for another 15 minutes after you go through. What if your next trip is in less than 15 minutes (e.g. you get on the subway at Bloor, get off at College to transfer to a streetcar)? Does this mean you need a transfer?

Probably for 15 minutes at the same location.

Wow, super-lame website. This is so exciting.
Well, what do you expect? Music videos? The important thing is that it does the job of allowing you to manage your card.

I can't see it working unless it becomes a timed transfer. Like every time you tap to pay a fare, that lets you get off & on the TTC for the next 2 hours.
I can confirm that GO will allow timed transfers on trips, but I'm not sure what the time period will be.

Well, what do you expect? Music videos? The important thing is that it does the job of allowing you to manage your card.

No, I expect the website to be more professional. This reminds me of the Metrolinx website, and its yet again shameful to our country, showing again how behind the times we are.

Let's compare some examples of what a professional website looks like:

Octopus Card (HK)
Oyster card (London)
PASMO (Tokyo)

Notice consistency in fonts, simplicity in design, and QUALITY of graphic design.

Presto's website, on the other hand, is using about three different fonts, at the very least, some of which include Arial (good lord), but either way shows poor consistency. The 'icons' at the top have been poorly designed, and have been artificially scaled up, to make them look worse. The text beside them does not line up properly.

I am not expecting brain-surgery from a boyscout here. And websites should be more than functionality because they are the face of the organization or product. If the website looks unprofessional, cheap, well then what am I going to think about the company?

Back