News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Does the red light on the top of the presto machine mean that it's turned on?

IMG_9054.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9054.JPG
    IMG_9054.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 697
Does the red light on the top of the presto machine mean that it's turned on?

View attachment 59443

Yes, these ones are on but set to 'not in service'. When they are off, the light on top as well as the screen (behind the sticker) are completely unlit. They have gradually been turning them on judging by my experiences on 509/510 as well, over the past few weeks--hopefully getting close to them being activated.

Just confirming what most would assume:
From TTC town hall (on TTC's youtube) at ~1:15:00

Byford confirms Presto will be capped at what you would've paid for a Metropass.

It should have a daily cap equivalent to a day pass also, so that day passes are phased out too.

It should have a daily cap equivalent to a day pass also, so that day passes are phased out too.
Metrolinx has committed to support the existing family pass as well - i.e. a day pass with 2 adults and up to 5 teens on weekends. I'll be interested to see how they pull that off at a subway turnstile.

Metrolinx has committed to support the existing family pass as well - i.e. a day pass with 2 adults and up to 5 teens on weekends. I'll be interested to see how they pull that off at a subway turnstile.
Not that hard.

Today, if I purchase a daily pass for a family it is a real cost saver but comes with the inconvenience that when I get to a subway station I can't just walk through any turnstile, I have to go through the manned turnstile and show the guy that I have the appropriate pass for the appropriate group of people. Convenience is surrendered for cost savings.

In a presto world, if the TTC wants to maintain these passes, I presume a reader will be in the booth with the fare guy....and the user will tap his/her card...the reader will show the employee what pass is on there and will open the turnstile for those people....but an unmanned regular turnstile will not recognize the pass......so, like today, convenience is surrendered for cost savings.

Maybe we can install mini turnstyles next to normal turnstyles, so when someone taps Presto with a group pass, it allows 2 through the normal turnstyle and 3 through the mini ones :) Problem solved!

I just tweeted Brad Ross and got a reply, unfortunately they have scrapped the plan to activate the CLRV/ALRV Presto readers this month and will be pushing the online date back towards December 31st. Very disappointing to hear. Again, I don't remember the last 509/510 I saw without Presto readers, and now a growing percentage are even powered on though out of service...unfortunate they've decided to keep them inactive.

I just tweeted Brad Ross and got a reply, unfortunately they have scrapped the plan to activate the CLRV/ALRV Presto readers this month and will be pushing the online date back towards December 31st. Very disappointing to hear. Again, I don't remember the last 509/510 I saw without Presto readers, and now a growing percentage are even powered on though out of service...unfortunate they've decided to keep them inactive.

TBH, I would almost rather they wait until all of the legacy streetcars have them installed because nothing is more annoying than playing the game of what currency you'll need to take transit home.

TBH, I would almost rather they wait until all of the legacy streetcars have them installed because nothing is more annoying than playing the game of what currency you'll need to take transit home.

Currently on 509 there are anywhere from 0 to 2 LFLRVs with Presto, the other 8 (or so, max) are CLRVs. On Spadina there are usually 1-6 LFLRVs with some odd 15-20 (ballpark, I'm not that up to date on 510's numbers) CLRVs. If they activate the Presto readers on CLRVs that have them now, there might be 1 vehicle on 509 on average, and 2 or 3 on 510 on average, without Presto, as opposed to 8 and 15-20 respectively at present. Much less playing of that game if the readers go live now. Not to mention on other routes there is zero presto availability, some less-well-informed riders might see an LFLRV on 509/510 and pay Presto on it, maybe get used to waiting for 2-3 streetcars to go by on 510 to wait for one with Presto, then one day go ride the 504 or something and wonder why a dozen cars have gone by without Presto.

I understand your point of view though, before considering the existence of the LFLRVs--in fact, as I've mentioned previously, I'm 99% confident that the TTC personnel who've made the decision to wait as long as possible on CLRV/ALRV Presto activation are using the exact same "inconsistent payment experience" logic, while completely forgetting that the LFLRVs have been causing that discrepancy for almost exactly a year now, since they got Presto in November 2014.

Typical TTC incompetence.
Typical Generation Whine sense of entitelment.

The Presto install is going relatively well, not only on-schedule, but in advance of the previous schedule that TTC pushed to have Metrolinx expedite.

There's no indication that this won't be completed on-schedule by years's end.

Typical Generation Whine sense of entitelment.

The Presto install is going relatively well, not only on-schedule, but in advance of the previous schedule that TTC pushed to have Metrolinx expedite.

There's no indication that this won't be completed on-schedule by years's end.

You really have a problem with reality.

Here's the facts:

*There were announcements that Presto would be enabled in all streetcars by the end of November. Here's the tweet again if you don't believe me.
https://twitter.com/bradttc/status/648509268098859008

*now Presto won't be activated until Dec. 31.

In what world do you live on where that is on schedule?

This one?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
You really have a problem with reality.
Someone who refuses to take a streetcar unless it has Presto, because they don't want to use token or cash is telling ME that I have a problem with reality?!? Despite knowing full well that Presto won't be implemented on most streetcars until the end of 2015.

Here's the facts:

*There were announcements that Presto would be enabled in all streetcars by the end of November. Here's the tweet again if you don't believe me.
https://twitter.com/bradttc/status/648509268098859008
I saw the comment. Not an announcement (it it's an announcement, point me to the press release, but an off-the-cuff casual comment by the PR guy that those already installed at the end of September would be active by the end of November. Nowhere does it say all streetcars. The commitment was always by the end of December.

That anyone would be so petty to complain that activation of the first cars has slipped a few days, despite the overall installation still being on schedule, is the very reason that many agencies simply learn not to say anything.

*now Presto won't be activated until Dec. 31.
I haven't seen that. The official line is "The PRESTO fare payment equipment will be put into revenue service and made available for customer use in December when the PRESTO installation work has been completed for the majority of streetcars. All legacy streetcars will be enabled for PRESTO prior to the end of 2015.". This indicates that some may be active before the end of December.

In what world do you live on where that is on schedule?
In what world do you want them to turn on the units early, if they are having some kind of issue? The last time they tried that in Ottawa, Metrolinx ended up firing the guy running Presto.

Surely, they are best to delay a few days, and make sure it's working properly.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that anyone can be so utterly naive to take an off-the-cuff comment by the PR guy as a promise, and then to suggest that a minor change of plan is a lie. On the failure scale, the schedule slipping a few days is a 1, but your unethical lies about them lying is a 7.

Back