News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wonder what the odds are of the TTC having faregates with Presto system-wide, activating the tapout requirement, and not immediately moving to fare by distance as a money grab.

I'm going to take a crazy, crazy guess and say zero.
I'd say 100%. The majority of councillors are outside the old city, and suddenly having to pay a higher fare is political suicide.

The only way fare-by-distance happens politically, is it stays about the same for multiple-zone travel, and is reduced for same-zone travel. Which would mean a loss of revenue.

I'd say 100%. The majority of councillors are outside the old city, and suddenly having to pay a higher fare is political suicide.

The only way fare-by-distance happens politically, is it stays about the same for multiple-zone travel, and is reduced for same-zone travel. Which would mean a loss of revenue.

I wonder if they could do something that would depend on where your trip starts. For example if you get on in Vaughan or north of Steels you get charged say 5 dollars whereas if you get on the subway and d in Toronto you only get charged 3 dollars.

I wonder if they could do something that would depend on where your trip starts. For example if you get on in Vaughan or north of Steels you get charged say 5 dollars whereas if you get on the subway and d in Toronto you only get charged 3 dollars.
Oh, they sure can. That's part of the logic of the fare gates - so that those boarding in Vaughan can get to York for one fare, but get zinged more if they go to downtown.

Oh, they sure can. That's part of the logic of the fare gates - so that those boarding in Vaughan can get to York for one fare, but get zinged more if they go to downtown.

I wonder if they will charge an extra fare for metropass users if they take it to vaugh?

Jury is still out on what they will actually do. TTC and and Region of York have to come to an agreement of some kind.

I wonder what the odds are of the TTC having faregates with Presto system-wide, activating the tapout requirement, and not immediately moving to fare by distance as a money grab.

Pretty high. The tapout requirement seems to be tied to the Spadina extension opening with the assumption of no fare-integration. They seem to be planning a free trip for York Region customers to York University (York Region might pay something to TTC but from the customers perspective it's included) but the rest of the TTC network will be an additional fare. The operating agreement with York Region for the Spadina Extension has not yet been finalized, nor has Eglinton or Finch with Metrolinx; lots of decisions being delayed till last minute.

Pretty high. The tapout requirement seems to be tied to the Spadina extension opening with the assumption of no fare-integration. They seem to be planning a free trip for York Region customers to York University (York Region might pay something to TTC but from the customers perspective it's included) but the rest of the TTC network will be an additional fare. The operating agreement with York Region for the Spadina Extension has not yet been finalized, nor has Eglinton or Finch with Metrolinx; lots of decisions being delayed till last minute.
I thought the plan was to allow VIVA/YRT/GO users who have a valid transfer to travel to York U without paying more. I don't think anyone is going to get a free trip from Vaughan to York U. I'm pretty sure that TTC will own the infrastructure and pay for all operating cost is finalized. It's been called out for unfairness to Toronto's taxpayers. What haven't been finalized is how riders will pay to ride that section and if YRT will subsidize the TTC for the free transfers.

Given that York University GO station is being closed and replaced by Downsview Park GO station, I certainly hope that the 2-stop ride between Downsview Park TTC and York University TTC is priced near-zero as a GO co-fare, otherwise it's a huge slap in the face to a large number of York U students who currently take the train who would suddenly have to start paying for a TTC metropass in addition to their GO monthly fare...or TTC/GO need to allow the university to run a private shuttle bus for students from Downsview Park.
you mean have to pay for presto card not metropass

you mean have to pay for presto card not metropass

I meant metropass as in a dollar value, not as in a physical item; i.e. a metropass loaded onto a Presto card, or the TTC Presto monthly cap amount equivalent to a metropass. Presumably a York U student with monthly-pass-equivalent GO rides already has a Presto card and does not need to purchase another.

My point was that with an example GO monthly total of $200 with York U GO Station today, a York U student in the future taking GO to Downsview Park+TTC connection 2 stops north to York U should not be forced to pay $340 a month (the $200 they were paying for GO to York U+TTC's approximate current post secondary student monthly fare) to get to York, but rather something like $230 or $250 at most.

I meant metropass as in a dollar value, not as in a physical item; i.e. a metropass loaded onto a Presto card, or the TTC Presto monthly cap amount equivalent to a metropass. Presumably a York U student with monthly-pass-equivalent GO rides already has a Presto card and does not need to purchase another.

My point was that with an example GO monthly total of $200 with York U GO Station today, a York U student in the future taking GO to Downsview Park+TTC connection 2 stops north to York U should not be forced to pay $340 a month (the $200 they were paying for GO to York U+TTC's approximate current post secondary student monthly fare) to get to York, but rather something like $230 or $250 at most.
I'm pretty sure that they will not nickel and dime students. With the GO/YRT bus terminal moving out of York U to Pioneer Village or VMC, students won't have to pay for the subway ride at all. Same with the GO station. Otherwise no one would want to take the subway and protest YRT/GO to restore service directly to York U. Even with this arrangement, it's going to be annoying with an additional transfer and a lost of direct connection from York U.

Didn't York U make it clear that they don't want buses on their campus?

I thought the plan was to allow VIVA/YRT/GO users who have a valid transfer to travel to York U without paying more.

Yes, I tried to say as much. The TTC component of the trip will be free (from the perspective of the customer).

I'm not aware of a signed operating agreement for that. Until there is, the double-fare rule would apply.

That's what I've been hearing as well.

Remember, the Presto machines being installed have both tap-in and tap-out capability. Tap-out is currently disabled, but will eventually become required (temporary paper cards will most likely be used for fares purchased by non-Presto cardholders). The tap-out will most likely refund the TTC fare for trips involving a GO/YRT/Zum transfer between VMC, Highway 407 and Downsview Park Stations to York University.

Anyone else having delayed loading issues today?

I added money via the website on Sunday evening. I received the confirmation email at 4:47AM on Monday. At the GO station just after 6AM this morning the machine bleeped at me that I was out of funds. I had cash and loaded it manually (after waiting for some moron who took 5 minutes chit chatting with the one ticket agent while 6 of us waited in line with only minutes to go to the train). When I got to Union and tapped off it still didn't push the load onto my card.

That's well over 24 hours now. I am willing to give a bit of leeway on that stated turn around time, but since I often see a load push to the card in under 8 hours I am a wondering if there is a system problem.

I called the call center and they said there were no reports of problems, but recorded my information.
For the record, I called PRESTO and they said they would investigate. They called me back Wednesday morning and said there actually was a network issue causing a delay in card loads. I did get the cash pushed to my card on Tuesday evening.

That's what I've been hearing as well.

Remember, the Presto machines being installed have both tap-in and tap-out capability. Tap-out is currently disabled, but will eventually become required (temporary paper cards will most likely be used for fares purchased by non-Presto cardholders). The tap-out will most likely refund the TTC fare for trips involving a GO/YRT/Zum transfer between VMC, Highway 407 and Downsview Park Stations to York University.
It costs a few more cents to add a RFID chip to those temporary paper cards so people can tap out. They'll need to raise cash fares. Then again, presto costs more to process than counting tokens. I expect there would be a raise next year or service cuts unless subsidies go up.

When we were in London, it was way more expensive to use a cash fare than to use their Oyster card. We can do that here too.

Back