News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From your link, Jane is a June construction start with completion during the summer (so by September 21st).

The one annoyance about that schedule is they're converting the least busy stations first. I understand that it maybe easier to troubleshoot that way, but at the same time the best way to stress-test is to put them where they will actually see exceedingly heavy usage.

AoD

The one annoyance about that schedule is they're converting the least busy stations first. I understand that it maybe easier to troubleshoot that way, but at the same time the best way to stress-test is to put them where they will actually see exceedingly heavy usage.

AoD
They want to do everything from west to east.

Clearly you tapped on a green GO reader at Union and it took your $5.30 standard fare. You should had tapped on the silver UPX reader. Arriving at Pearson, you tapped on the only read there (silver one) and it thought you're starting a trip from Pearson deducting the full $9.00 fare. A big mistake on your part.
I remember reading the FAQ on this on either UPX or Presto on the two readers which was hilarious just because it's so complicated. Having two sets of readers and knowing which ones to tag on/off. And you can tag on either on for trips not to Pearson, but only one for Pearson. It was basically clear as mud. I can only imagine a confused tourist who has never been to Toronto and whose first language is not English.

AoD
This kind of fare gate is used in many other systems - for a pleasant change it is not a TTC-invented solution so the concept has been tested in many places and it SHOULD only be any local pecularities that have to be fine-tuned..

Clearly you tapped on a green GO reader at Union and it took your $5.30 standard fare. You should had tapped on the silver UPX reader. Arriving at Pearson, you tapped on the only read there (silver one) and it thought you're starting a trip from Pearson deducting the full $9.00 fare. A big mistake on your part.

Did you also get another GO Transit charge afterwards? You didn't tap off on a green GO reader and should be charged the remaining amount to the end of the line (full fare to Kitchener less $5.30).

Follow Up from Presto:
Dear XX, Thank you for your feedback. The next time you tap with GO Transit you will see a charge for a Missed Tap Off Adjustment. This is the remaining fee for the trip not completed when tapping on with GO Transit 5/9/2016 01:07:00 pm. We cannot credit back any fares until they have all been applied to your PRESTO card. Please tap onto a GO fare device if planning to travel or have your card scanned at a GO Customer Service location. Contact us again when you see this charge appear in your transaction history to request reimbursement. Sincerely, XX The PRESTO Team This email was sent from an outgoing-only address that cannot accept incoming emails. If you still have questions, please contact us by phone at 1-8-PRESTO-123 (1-877-378-6123) and reference feedback number

So now I have to head back into Union Station (don't use GO at all) to tap, to then call them and have the whole thing refunded. Seriously? Won't it also bill me for another ride?

So now I have to head back into Union Station (don't use GO at all) to tap, to then call them and have the whole thing refunded. Seriously? Won't it also bill me for another ride?
It would, but you can cancel.

Tap on a GO machine, and it will charge you $5,30 - plus the trip not completed fare (which should be $11.90 and show "Auto Adjustment - Missed Tap Off".

Then press the Cancel button on the left, and tap again, that will reimburse the $5.30.

Then ask GO to reimburse the $17.20.

You might simply be able to tap on one of the yellow card checker devices too in a GO station.

Or as they say, go to a ticket booth and get them to scan your card.

You can go to any GO station at any time if you just tap on the machine and cancel.

Guelph_Central_GO_Station_PRESTO_machine.jpg

From your link, Jane is a June construction start with completion during the summer (so by September 21st).

OK. Have any of these on the June list actually started construction? Totally get why they are doing a bunch at once but if they haven't started yet are they already off track.

Brad Ross did tweet a while back that the St Clair entrance didn't get gates yet cause the manufacture delayed shipping them. I would assume they would push back the project as it doesn't make sense to start without the arrivals of new gates.

I've been in Ottawa for a few days and being able to just use Presto here to get around has been great. One nice thing is that the readers on the bus and at the O Train give you your balance, or tell you how much time is left on your timed fare for transfers. Hopefully that will come to TTC readers in a future update.

I've been in Ottawa for a few days and being able to just use Presto here to get around has been great. One nice thing is that the readers on the bus and at the O Train give you your balance, or tell you how much time is left on your timed fare for transfers. Hopefully that will come to TTC readers in a future update.
Brad Ross has been asked this a couple of times on twitter and the answer to it is no because as a requirement of the Ontario Disability Act they would have to make it audible for the blind. Since they don't want to do thath they won't be having it available on the readers on buses streetcars and sations. If you want to check the balance you can use the reload machines located in moist sations thath have presto or use the pretos website which works fine on mobile devices.

Brad Ross has been asked this a couple of times on twitter and the answer to it is no because as a requirement of the Ontario Disability Act they would have to make it audible for the blind.

With all due respect to Brad, and I love the amount of information he gives out, sometimes he says stuff that is either severely lacking in detail or a bit off. Ottawa is also located in Ontario last time I checked, so presumably they're also subject to the AODA, and yet they seem to be managing fine? Or are OCTranspo, GO, YRT/Viva, Oakville, Burlington, HSR, Durham, MiWay, Brampton, and UPX all breaking the law?

Brad Ross has been asked this a couple of times on twitter and the answer to it is no because as a requirement of the Ontario Disability Act they would have to make it audible for the blind. Since they don't want to do thath they won't be having it available on the readers on buses streetcars and sations. If you want to check the balance you can use the reload machines located in moist sations thath have presto or use the pretos website which works fine on mobile devices.

I don't buy it having to be audible as an excuse for not having them, as every other Presto system doesn't have it audible and frankly having it audible is a stupid idea (considering the amount of information that they do display at once)

With all due respect to Brad, and I love the amount of information he gives out, sometimes he says stuff that is either severely lacking in detail or a bit off. Ottawa is also located in Ontario last time I checked, so presumably they're also subject to the AODA, and yet they seem to be managing fine? Or are OCTranspo, GO, YRT/Viva, Oakville, Burlington, HSR, Durham, MiWay, Brampton, and UPX all breaking the law?

The Presto readers at the O Train stops had a jack and button for a hearing device to plug in (like you see at an ABM). I don't recall seeing that on the bus readers though.

It would, but you can cancel.

Tap on a GO machine, and it will charge you $5,30 - plus the trip not completed fare (which should be $11.90 and show "Auto Adjustment - Missed Tap Off".

Then press the Cancel button on the left, and tap again, that will reimburse the $5.30.

Then ask GO to reimburse the $17.20.

You might simply be able to tap on one of the yellow card checker devices too in a GO station.

Or as they say, go to a ticket booth and get them to scan your card.

You can go to any GO station at any time if you just tap on the machine and cancel.

Guelph_Central_GO_Station_PRESTO_machine.jpg

Ok, it's my fault that I didn't follow your instructions.

I went to a reader at Union. Tapped and then hit cancel.

I should have read your note that said "press the Cancel button on the left, and tap again, that will reimburse the $5.30."

So now I have completed and closed the first open tap... and now have a second one..... so I need to go back again and do it again. And then call them (they have the worlds longest phone menu tree......) and they'll refund the original problem transaction, and now this one as well.

(Maybe instructions on the units on how to use the cancel button would be good).

ok - rant over. (i know it's first world problems....)

Back