News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's always amazes me how poel want to make everyone wait well they get their fare out why can't they get it out before they arrive at the station but then again you also have people who can't decide what they ant a fast food restaurant until they look at the menu at the register despite being able to read the menu well in line.

Half the time, the menu at fast food joints isn't even complete these down. I've seen McDonalds that don't even list French Fries as an option, and don't provide any pricing for anything except combos.

Sheesh, so today I needed to go from Cabbagetown to Royal York station and back. So, I grab my Presto card, walk to Parliament St., get on the bus, and it doesn't have a Presto scanner. I have no coins or tokens (that's why I have Presto), and driver lets me on for free, so now I get to Castle Frank and can't see a scanner, so in frustration I walked on the subway. Then, at Royal York I try to enter the eastern unmanned entrance and there is no Presto scanner, just some ancient token machine. So, I walk about ten mins westward to the manned entrance, and ALL the Presto scanners are down (or non-existent). So, I'm riding for free again, but having already scoffed one ride am now determined to scan the first station I see. So, I get to Queen's Park, ready to scan the 506 streetcar. But a 506 bus arrives instead, and you guessed it, no Presto scanner. The bus stops at Church St. and turns northward, so I disembark and wait for the 506 streetcar, which comes in 15 mins, and finally I scan a Presto station.

JMFC, what's the hell point in having a Presto card if I can't use it. And how much revenue is the TTC losing by telling us to use Presto, and then not accepting the cards and letting riders on for free?

Last edited:
From everything you read Presto is pretty well almost everywhere leading one to think the odd time there will be no reader. But for 1 transit rider to take multiple trips and encounter countless no readers or not working says a lot. At this point in time, perhaps 1 leg of the journey he should have encountered no reader but not throughout. I certainly hope once these readers up and working that if one has a Presto card and a reader is down then it is the norm one can still ride and not have to come up with cash that one may not have on hand or any debit card. Getting stuck in a grocery store when your debit card does not work is one thing because no one expects they will make you walk out with free groceries, but on the TTC its another thing - you should be allowed to ride free

From everything you read Presto is pretty well almost everywhere

Really? At this point presto is still pretty much no where in Toronto. What are you reading?

TTC's policy is that the drivers can refuse to let you on if the bus doesn't have Presto. If it does have Presto and the machine isn't working, then they have to let you on for free. Bus and streetcar drivers can let you on for free if the route doesn't accept Presto, but that's up to them.

But for 1 transit rider to take multiple trips and encounter countless no readers or not working says a lot.

Why? Presto hasn't been fully rolled out yet. It takes time to get Presto running at 69 subway stations and on more than 2,200 buses and streetcars. The TTC says that you should have tokens if your route or subway station isn't on the list of ones that accept Presto. The Parliament bus isn't on that list. Castle Frank and Royal York aren't on that list either. For the 506, the TTC's website says "PRESTO may not be available on shuttle buses. Please carry tokens, tickets or exact cash."

But for 1 transit rider to take multiple trips and encounter countless no readers or not working says a lot.
It says that Presto isn't going to be fully implemented on TTC until beginning of 2017. I'd have to suspend disbelief to think that anyone on this thread doesn't know this.

Complaining if they don't meet the promised schedule - sure. But they ARE meeting the promised schedule! And yet some still whine.

From everything you read Presto is pretty well almost everywhere leading one to think the odd time there will be no reader. But for 1 transit rider to take multiple trips and encounter countless no readers or not working says a lot. At this point in time, perhaps 1 leg of the journey he should have encountered no reader but not throughout. I certainly hope once these readers up and working that if one has a Presto card and a reader is down then it is the norm one can still ride and not have to come up with cash that one may not have on hand or any debit card. Getting stuck in a grocery store when your debit card does not work is one thing because no one expects they will make you walk out with free groceries, but on the TTC its another thing - you should be allowed to ride free
You are clearly not paying attention. It is currently on all streetcars, most subway stations, on about 50% of bus routes and no wheeltrans.

If you can't follow things here look at TTC site where it says: "The PRESTO electronic fare payment system is rolling out across the TTC. It is one piece of the TTC’s modernization efforts. All new and legacy streetcars, 30 subway stations and some TTC buses have PRESTO. By the end of 2016, PRESTO will be installed at all subway stations, and rolled out on all buses, including Wheel-Trans. During the transition you should carry tickets, tokens or cash, in case your streetcar, subway station or bus does not yet have PRESTO."

t says that Presto isn't going to be fully implemented on TTC until beginning of 2017. I'd have to suspend disbelief to think that anyone on this thread doesn't know this.

that's for the new fare gates Presto will, technically be avale system wide by the end of this year because of the retrofitted turnstiles which will be converted next year.

f one has a Presto card and a reader is down then it is the norm one can still ride and not have to come up with cash - you should be allowed to ride free
That's been my experience. I flash the card, the driver says get on, and I always look for a scanner along the trip to fare up. I never carry coins and ATMs only give out $20s or $50 bills, so I am essentially no means to use TTC unless I plan ahead to rob the kid's piggy bank of loonies.

What surprises me is that the TTC activated a half deployed system. Why not get it fully operational and then launch it?

Back