News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

FYI. From this link from Ottawa Metro News.

Crashed Presto site leaves customers, staff scrambling

OC Transpo customers hoping to load their September pass online were out of luck Wednesday as Presto dealt with a hardware issue.

OC Transpo could offer customers a discount if Presto’s broken website isn’t up and running soon.

The Presto card site, which lets OC Transpo customers load passes and e-purse dollars onto their transit card, crashed late Tuesday due to a hardware issue and stayed down all day Wednesday.

Alex Burke, spokesperson for Metrolinx which runs Presto, said staff were working with the 11 transit agencies affected to “determine the appropriate course of action” for customers if the site can't be fixed quickly.

The crash was inconvenient for many customers, who were trying to load monthly passes and top up their e-purse ahead of going back to work and school.

“It’s a busy week,” said OC Transpo’s Pat Scrimgeour.

While he said his team is “obviously concerned” with the unplanned outage, he said recent scheduled maintenance hasn’t been a problem.

The website was shut down for three weekends this summer for service upgrades.

“Those are things people can work around if they know about them ahead of time,” Scrimgeour said.

OC Transpo and Metrolinx are in contract negotiations, and Mayor Jim Watson has hinted Presto wants way more money than the two per cent it currently takes from every fare.

Scrimgeour wouldn’t say much on the state of negotiations.

“We’re not at the beginning, we’re not at the end, but they’re progressing,” he said.

That's not clear yet. None of the new gates have the tap-out terminals on them (even though they were considered in the design). It looks to me like they may just have the extension run on TTC fare, with free transfers from YRT and Go Transit to York University (i.e. the only station with tap-out will be at York, and regular TTC users won't need to use it).

Tap out on the new gates is p[art of phase 2. Phase one is to put them into the stations that don't have Presto yet. Once that is complete there is a plate on the back part of the gate similar to where the presto and metropass readers are on the front that they will put in the preto reader to exit. Also you will need to tap onto a bus or streetcar when you board it in a station, probably because not everyone's trip on the TTC will end in a station so they can see where you boarded the bus or streetcar.

Those people better not travel by air because there are touchscreens everywhere at the airport :)

Check-in can be a bit of a clusterf*ck at the kiosks. I frequently am standing behind someone who seems to have arrived from an alternate universe or the Neander Valley. If you are holding your documents, it can be done in less than 60 seconds.

And in typical TTC fashion, they provide a list of PRESTO-enabled bus routes alphabetically by route name rather than the logical numerically by route number: https://www.ttc.ca/News/2016/September/09-02-16NR.jsp

The list of routes with PRESTO now:

5 Avenue Rd
7 Bathurst
10 Van Horne
11 Bayview
15 Evans
28 Bayview South
29 Dufferin
30 Lampton
33 Forest Hill
36 Finch West
37 Islington
40 Junction
42 Cummer
44 Kipling South
45 Kipling
46 Martin Grove
48 Rathburn
49 Bloor West
50 Burnhamthorpe
51 Leslie
56 Leaside
59 Maple Leaf
60 Steeles West
61 Avenue Rd North
66 Prince Edward
73 Royal York
74 Mt Pleasant
75 Sherbourne
76 Royal York South
78 St Andrews
80 Queensway
82 Rosedale
84 Sheppard West
88 South Leaside
90 Vaughan
96 Wilson
97 Yonge
98 Willowdale-Senlac
99 Arrow Rd
101 Downsview Park
103 Mt Pleasant North
104 Faywood
105 Dufferin North
107 Keele North
108 Downsview
109 Ranee
110 Islington South
111 East Mall
112 West Mall
115 Silver Hills
117 Alness
118 Thistle Down
119 Torbarrie
120 Calvington
122 Graydon Hall
123 Shorncliffe
124 Sunnybrook
125 Drewry
160 Bathurst North
162 Lawrence-Donway
165 Weston Rd North
168 Symington
169 Huntingwood
186 Wilson Rocket
188 Kipling South Rocket
191 Highway 27 Rocket
192 Airport Rocket
193 Exhibition Rocket
195 Jane Rocket
196 York University Rocket
310 Bathurst
315 Evans-Brown’s Line
329 Dufferin
335 Jane
337 Islington
384 Sheppard West
396 Wilson

30 Lampton

A spelling error like this implies someone actually typed out this whole list, as opposed to copy/paste from a spreadsheet, which is bizarre. Unless "Lampton" has actually been circulating around TTC documents this whole time and no one has ever noticed. :eek:

A spelling error like this implies someone actually typed out this whole list, as opposed to copy/paste from a spreadsheet, which is bizarre. Unless "Lampton" has actually been circulating around TTC documents this whole time and no one has ever noticed. :eek:
Copy & past
30 Lampton

TTC just release another news service update and look at this. lol

Seasonal route changes and seasonal increases in the hours of service that began in May and June will end after Labour Day on the following routes:
- 30 Lambton
- 85 Sheppard East
- 86 Scarborough
- 121C Fort York-Esplanade

If the ability to load TTC passes onto them is not ready by January they're f*cked.

They would have to start pumping out January metropasses on the fly.

And so they should have as they can now measure the origin and end and time of every trip.

@TransitBart believes in data. I think there will be big surprises in the data.
Just because they CAN do something does not mean that the TTC will do it. As demonstrated by Steve Munro with his exhaustive (and exhausting!) analyses of bus and streetcar routes their current data can show where the problems are and, despite what the TTC always claims, they are usually NOT traffic but poor route management and totally un-spaced departures from terminals.

Just because they CAN do something does not mean that the TTC will do it. As demonstrated by Steve Munro with his exhaustive (and exhausting!) analyses of bus and streetcar routes their current data can show where the problems are and, despite what the TTC always claims, they are usually NOT traffic but poor route management and totally un-spaced departures from terminals.

@DSC et al. I have had the good fortune to work in a number of places. In a couple, we were under siege and a beleaguered mentality begins to set in. I have no doubt that the TTC is in such a state. Strong leadership - I think Andy Byford is about the best there is - can help to restore a sense of normalcy in the ranks. I leave it to the politicians to fund the show adequately. I doubt it's a question of will, but it is a question of risk. If they are going to look at the data, there will be those who see in the results evidence for one less bus route or run or something along those lines. Somehow the results are always used to tear something apart and never to bolster.

Terrible human tendency that.

Back