News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Especially with readers already installed almost underneath the ferry docks at the Queens Quay station for the streetcar.

I agree with most of your comment, but as a correction, that point is incorrect, there are no Presto readers installed at Queens Quay station as it does not have turnstiles/faregates. It is an open-access station and you pay your fare on board the streetcar--the Presto readers for streetcars are on vehicles, not at stops. They have a SRVM (single-ride fare vending machine) that takes cash/tokens/tickets and tap-to-pay debit/credit, and is internet-connected (I believe via cellular connection) for the debit/credit functionality, it does not take Presto, and at any rate that would have nothing to do with the ferry.

...--the Presto readers for streetcars are on vehicles, not at stops. ...

Actually, there are PRESTO readers at select streetcar (and maybe eventually, bus) stops. However, they have not (as yet) produced a list (or at least I've seen) of where those stops are.

This is from one of the Spadina stops, with the reader on the streetcar platform.
B4bzAg3IYAAU4sc.jpg

You pay your fare using PRESTO, tickets, or tokens, and obtain a Proof-of-Payment (transfer) before boarding.

Actually, there are PRESTO readers at select streetcar (and maybe eventually, bus) stops. However, they have not (as yet) produced a list of where those stops are.

This is from one of the Spadina stops, with the reader on the streetcar platform.

You pay your fare using PRESTO, tickets, or tokens, and obtain a Proof-of-Payment (transfer).
This isn't a Presto machine. There was some controversy on Twitter about this a couple of years ago. Read the comments here:

https://twitter.com/prestocard/status/542387995966701568

Actually, there are PRESTO readers at select streetcar (and maybe eventually, bus) stops. However, they have not (as yet) produced a list (or at least I've seen) of where those stops are.

You pay your fare using PRESTO, tickets, or tokens, and obtain a Proof-of-Payment (transfer) before boarding.

This isn't a Presto machine. There was some controversy on Twitter about this a couple of years ago. Read the comments here:

https://twitter.com/prestocard/status/542387995966701568

Indeed, that is not a Presto machine. You cannot pay your fare using Presto on those machines. It is only, as I said, for cash/tickets/tokens and tap-to-pay debit/credit. They do not accept Presto.

True but at least they seem like they want to use it rather then the operators of Ion who seem to want to go backwards with there system.
I was on GRT today, the X200, to get from GO Cambridge stop to Ainslee Station, then cycle distance south from there. I'm no fool, even as a very fit, powerful cyclist. Cambridge driving makes Toronto look tame. Whatever, GRT now has a flat cash fare, only one, no exceptions. No discount for seniors, students, cripples or Martians: $3.25. You do get a transfer, and can do exceptional distance on their system, but it is rather...err...primitive. Their radio system is archaic, let alone their fare system.

Last edited:
True but at least they seem like they want to use it rather then the operators of Ion who seem to want to go backwards with there system.
The Region of Waterloo required the fare payment system to go out to tender and Presto doesn't respond to tenders.

The Region of Waterloo required the fare payment system to go out to tender and Presto doesn't respond to tenders.
I can understand the reasons NOT to go to Presto but think that the advantages of having one card for whole Region may out-weight this. Many people travel between Waterloo and GTA and they will need 2 cards.

Who maintains the machines on the island side? Will someone fix them at 6AM on a Saturday in January or will they sit out of service for days? How do those machines communicate back to the rest of the network? Will they have to string cables all the way there?
dude it's Toronto Island not a small rock on the far side of Manitoulin. It's a part of Toronto and you should pay the same fare the same way as any other part of Toronto. Vancouver figured it out, we can too.

dude it's Toronto Island not a small rock on the far side of Manitoulin. It's a part of Toronto and you should pay the same fare the same way as any other part of Toronto. Vancouver figured it out, we can too.
Not quite sure fare needs to be same (though it would be good if it were) BUT I certainly agree that fare payment method should be the same.

One consideration about the current fare scheme - people who pay water taxis to go across get a free ride home from taxpayers if they choose.

yes but they also wanted the machines to print out tickets weh the whole point of presto is no more tickets or transfers everything is on one card. The same as the oyster card in london and whatever other transit agencies that are moving to them are calling them. That's what I meant by taking a step backwards.

One consideration about the current fare scheme - people who pay water taxis to go across get a free ride home from taxpayers if they choose.
and your solution is?
Putting ticket takers and sellers at the three island docks (Ward's, Hanlon's and Centre) would cost FAR more than the small loss of fares from people who take a water taxi over and come home 'free'. It would also slow down the whole service.

and your solution is?
Putting ticket takers and sellers at the three island docks (Ward's, Hanlon's and Centre) would cost FAR more than the small loss of fares from people who take a water taxi over and come home 'free'. It would also slow down the whole service.

Don't need that. A single set of gates at the Toronto docks is enough; pay to enter, pay to leave. I'd install them well before the waiting area and treat that area and the entire island as a fare-paid zone.

I don't think charging both directions separately gains anything but that's how I'd implement it.

Last edited:
Don't the water taxis pay a fee to the city? So it's not all that much of a free ride. Plus, is it really even an issue? The system works well with no gates on the Island side. Why not just leave it like that.

Don't the water taxis pay a fee to the city? So it's not all that much of a free ride. Plus, is it really even an issue? The system works well with no gates on the Island side. Why not just leave it like that.

Correct. You pay more for the Island-bound water taxi as they collect a fee mandated by the city. There's no free ride if you take a licensed water taxi to the island and the ferry back.

Back