News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I find that transfers can extend past 2 hours from the first tap. As long as you don't retake the same route nor use the subway, transfers won't get voided until the transfer expires. I done a trip, tapped for a transfer an hour later. Get off at the next transfer point to conduct some person business and hop on an hour later on another route.

The ultimate experiment to test the system out is by hopping around different routes every hour or so and see if you can stay in the system on one fare for 6 hours. Avoid back tracking. Transfer points don't apply on presto. One can board at any stop and receive a transfer. If TTC wants to enforce transfer rule, they'll need the screen to indicate invalid transfer and have the operator override the reader and force the rider to pay. I don't see this happening anytime soon. This experiment will reveal if the presto card only stores the last transferred time.

Obviously the TTC doesn't want you to know that you can transfer at any stop and ride in circles on one fare.

[What are you talking about? Presto has used a combination of time-based fares and blocking multiple uses of the same route (based on automatic detection of the route) and re-entering the subway, in various formulations, since January.]
Well thanks for that, Fitz. I was hoping you'd post something along those lines, as it contradicts what Amnesia has posted.
No, I agree with them. The maximum transfer time seems to be about 120 minutes, when there's no other restrictions.

You were HOPING for that? Are you a troll or something?

There's a difference (and I'm sure you understand the difference) between "guessing" and "making observations that are plainly obvious".
Indeed. It's called a reference. Do you have one? And if not, then that's also the point. The TTC is winging it, and expects everyone to dance to a tune they themselves refuse to articulate.

Well...some issues, like fare hike, have an understandable response. And Tory must have had an inside heads-up on his approval ratings, and thus his need to get off the fence with the toll move. Wynne, contrary to claims, might have to do similar.

But for this forum:
When it comes to PRESTO, 23% of Torontonians believe it needs some improvements, while another 40% say the system needs a major overhaul. Another 8% believe the system should be eliminated all together. Clearly the payment system isn’t working as Torontonians would like it to – and they have plenty of comparisons they can make. Apple Pay is now available on smartphones, and Starbucks has had an instant top-up system for several years – not to mention they have added mobile-order functionality. With so many different apps and systems to compare it to, there is a high bar for PRESTO to meet – these numbers would indicate it is falling short.”
Some in this forum can claim all they like that it's (gist) 'just a couple of n'er-do-wells' and 'whiners' pointing out the obvious flaws in Presto. There's significant problems that need to be addressed.

Some in this forum can claim all they like that it's (gist) 'just a couple of n'er-do-wells' and 'whiners' pointing out the obvious flaws in Presto. There's significant problems that need to be addressed.

However, are all of those respondents Presto users? Who's to say those responses are all based off of experience, as opposed to perception? I forget the stat exactly, but isn't it that less than 10% of all TTC riders use Presto?

However, are all of those respondents Presto users? Who's to say those responses are all based off of experience, as opposed to perception? I forget the stat exactly, but isn't it that less than 10% of all TTC riders use Presto?
Well consider, for the sake of argument, that 20% of Torontonians use the TTC daily (that's based on a rough estimate from Googling) and therefore the dissatisfaction figures are padded to 20% of the respondents of the survey...it's still very high. I'll dig later to see if there are other more specific breakdowns of the stat model stated.

Also consider this aspect then, along with your claim:
76% Disapprove of Fare Hike

If that's a cross section of *all* Torontonians, then that is a very interesting result. Most of them wouldn't even ride the TTC by my "20%" estimate. That leaves 4/5 of 76% = approx 60% of Torontonians who don't take the TTC disapprove of the fare hike.

However, are all of those respondents Presto users?

No. And the pollster didn't even bother to ask, even though it's very important to make a distinction between the views of people who actually use Presto and the views of people who only know the things they hear in the news (which will never be positive, because good news is unpopular news)

No. And the pollster didn't even bother to ask, even though it's very important to make a distinction between the views of people who actually use Presto and the views of people who only know the things they hear in the news (which will never be positive, because good news is unpopular news)

I think it's very important to do so. How many of those 8% that believe it should be scrapped entirely are Ford Nation supporters with a vendeta against all large government undertakings?

Not trying to claim Presto is perfect in any sense. I think the numbers, however, are a bit skewed.

Well consider, for the sake of argument, that 20% of Torontonians use the TTC daily (that's based on a rough estimate from Googling) and therefore the dissatisfaction figures are padded to 20% of the respondents of the survey...it's still very high. I'll dig later to see if there are other more specific breakdowns of the stat model stated.

That does what exactly? This gives no sense as to how the precentages change between those who rise the TTC and those who don't, let alone those who do and don't use Presto.

Though it is unclear when 'time of writing' is, the following figures from the TTC's CEO monthly reports are:

September Board Meeting: At the time of writing, approximately 1,200 buses or 62% of the fleet have been equipped with PRESTO readers

October Board Meeting: At the time of writing, 1,369 buses (71% of the fleet) have been equipped with PRESTO readers.

November Board Meeting: At the time of writing, approximately 1,650 buses, or 84% of the fleet, have been equipped with PRESTO readers.

It looks as though they ought to meet their 'end of December" deadlines.

Back