News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I've been taking the GO Bus recently and I noticed some weird quirks with the fares on some of my trips:
  • Route 41 from Scarborough Town Centre to Richmond Hill Centre is $5.13, while it's $3.70 to go to Highway 407 (you can transfer onto the 66 and take it to the carpool lot at 400/Major Mackenzie and it's still $3.70).
  • If you take Route 66 from Yonge/Green Lane, transfer to the 41 at Highway 407 and go to Scarborough Town Centre, it's $7.91. But, if you take the same trip in reverse, it's $6.90.
  • Taking 40/41/52 between Highway 407 and Richmond Hill Centre is $3.70 whereas taking VIVA Orange would have cost $3.88. Since you get to take YRT for free if you travel on GO, it's $0.18 less expensive to take GO.
I'm wondering if anyone else has found weird quirks in GO's fare system.

Edit: Makes me wonder how many people are going to take the 27/19 between Sheppard and Finch or the 29 between Square One and Kipling once TTC-GO-905 fare integration goes into effect since it'll be less expensive than a TTC-905 transfer.
The current NYCC situation: GO routes are replicating line 1's role - albeit with less frequency. You don't pay for the YRT/VIVA fare, and the GO fare is actually few cents less.
It makes so much sense for those living along NYCC who travel to York Region. Paying another $3.30 to travel between the Finch and Sheppard stations is absurd.
Another bonus, the GO bus drops you off right in front of the VIVA platform; saves you the walk between subway platform and the regional bus terminal.

I used to occasionally take a GO bus from Sheppard to Finch, and then transfer to YRT there, even before the full fare integration, it used to be only 50 cents to transfer from GO to YRT. It'd be cheaper than TTC and YRT. Given I'm on going one street, and there's a number of GO buses that interline along Yonge, indeed it isn't bad compared to the subway.

Meanwhile, in Germany, you can use the same "card" on ANY public transit throughout the entire country of Germany...

For just €49 ($54) a month, holders get unlimited travel on all city buses, subways and trams in every municipality across the country. That means with one ticket — which breaks down to less than the cost on one espresso a day — you can ride buses along the shores of Lake Constance on the Swiss border and traverse Hamburg’s harbor on the North Sea.

Last edited:
Good news - I suspect the delay was related to some kind of deal with the banks/Interac.

But not on TTC yet (presumably they are waiting for the installation of the rest of the new readers, so as not to cause confusion).

I wonder how many complaints we'll be seeing about card clash!
I was told on Twitter that all TTC vehicles have the new presto readers, is that true and how many subway presto readers still need to be upgraded to the new readers

I was told on Twitter that all TTC vehicles have the new presto readers, is that true and how many subway presto readers still need to be upgraded to the new readers
I think the subway install is pretty far along too. While this is common in other parts of the world, it's refreshing to see the Metrolinx/TTC do something quickly for once. Definitely faster than previous Presto rollouts. Hopefully the reliability holds up

CPTDB had a thread tracking installations. It indeed looks like all the active surface vehicles have them - some undergoing work may not yet. (and those up in the Halton museum! :) )

They must be getting close.

Nothing like using your cc on presto and forgetting to tap off.. paying $12 vs the $4... ughhhh
If you phone GO, they've always been willing to credit, even if you admit it's your mistake. Though there's probably a limit on how frequently they'd do that.

Nothing like using your cc on presto and forgetting to tap off.. paying $12 vs the $4... ughhhh
How is that different than it currently is with Presto? I'm pretty sure you can set default trips on Contactless as well. I'm just hoping the TTC adopt the Presto fare for contactless. So far, only GO has the same fare, all the other agencies use the cash fare for contactless, which makes the upgrade pretty meaningless for most local resident. I know New York and London keeps the same rate for Contactless, while Vancouver charges 0.60 more just for contactless.

So far, only GO has the same fare, all the other agencies use the cash fare for contactless, which makes the upgrade pretty meaningless for most local resident. I know New York and London keeps the same rate for Contactless, while Vancouver charges 0.60 more just for contactless.
TTC only charges 5¢ more for paying with cash than Presto. So it takes 120 trips for the Prestocard to pay off. If TTC charges cash fares instead of Presto fares for debit/credit - for some users, it could be cheaper than losing/replacing their Presto card every couple of years.

My bank at least sends me free card replacements after the card is lost/damaged.

Your bank charges interest/fees. I can guarantee you nothing at a bank is free. They are in the money making business.
I'd think most people who'd consider using debit/credit would either be occasional, or have plans. I haven't seen a credit card fee per use forever - I didn't know any of them still did that. Yeah, if you don't pay the bill, there's interest.

Back