News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What about a bulldog clip?

I dunno...it's a plastic card, so I'd imagine it would slide out of that quite easily, unless it gripped right through...which would probably screw up the card.

Another option would be a plastic sleeve on a lanyard, like one of those name tags you get at conferences.

confnametagfinal.jpg

I'll stick with the wallet option, since I carry a wallet anyway.

I haven't tried out Presto yet. But I know on previous RFID cards I had, I would have the card in my bag and just hold the bag up to the reader and it worked.

What about students or seniors who must have ID to qualify for concession/reduced fares? Are they required to show the ID when validating their Presto card on buses? In that case, how might they carry their pass/ID combo, in a practical easily-accessible way?

I've been trying to source plastic see-through sleeves that hold two cards and have had some success... but it has not been easy.

ed d.

What about students or seniors who must have ID to qualify for concession/reduced fares? Are they required to show the ID when validating their Presto card on buses? In that case, how might they carry their pass/ID combo, in a practical easily-accessible way?

I've been trying to source plastic see-through sleeves that hold two cards and have had some success... but it has not been easy.

ed d.

While I don't think that feature is currently operational with Presto, I'd assume seniors or students would have to show their ID at one of the Presto customer service outlets to have the student/senior fare automatically deducted instead of regular fare, and probably have to keep ID on them at all times in case of random card checks.

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/StaticContent/Faq/

I just keep mine in my wallet and never remove it. Just wave the wallet at the machine. Even works with a good ol' "Presto Card Hip Thrust", leaving my wallet in my pocket.

Thats what I do too. I have also stored it in my blackberry case, up against the back side of my phone between the battery door and my rubber case. It gets in the way of the camera, but I don't use the camera much anyway.

It would be neat if Presto could come out with a smaller version of the card, or even just the chip so you could put it anywhere.

Thats what I do too. I have also stored it in my blackberry case, up against the back side of my phone between the battery door and my rubber case. It gets in the way of the camera, but I don't use the camera much anyway.

It would be neat if Presto could come out with a smaller version of the card, or even just the chip so you could put it anywhere.
I'm pretty sure the direction is towards an open payment system and NFC, which will probably become more common on mobile phones over the next few years.

Anyone think that Metrolinx will find some sort of way to end the contract with Accenture and go with a more experienced company who have worked on projects this complex?
To be fair though - can you think of a fare card system that is this complex? The fare rules in Montreal and London for example are much, much simpler (and Oyster has had it's issues ... the infamous Oyster extensions for example).

A bit late...ACN has plenty of experiences in ticketing, including Denmark which has a more complex fare system than toronto ( supposely, to compute a travel price, operators in Denmark used to take 10min+ for a simple travel ).

A bit late...ACN has plenty of experiences in ticketing, including Denmark which has a more complex fare system than toronto ( supposely, to compute a travel price, operators in Denmark used to take 10min+ for a simple travel ).
Never too late!

I thought that Thales was the lead on that card, and Accenture's role was secondary.

Never too late!

I thought that Thales was the lead on that card, and Accenture's role was secondary.

A bit more than secondary but you have a point. It was a real joint venture at the start unlike Toronto where ACN is the prime-contractor and Thales is the "card/reader/backoffice" supplier. "Customer website HTML frontend" + B2B related systems is in the hand of ACN.

Interesting to see them both together on both though - I hadn't realised Thales was involved here. Can't find out much about the status of the Denmark project.

Interesting to see them both together on both though - I hadn't realised Thales was involved here. Can't find out much about the status of the Denmark project.

They have done a couple of projects together, especially in Europe. But I doubt there will be some new ones considering the recent proposals for other RFP, ACN and Thales were bidding in different consortium if I am not wrong.

While I don't think that feature is currently operational with Presto, I'd assume seniors or students would have to show their ID at one of the Presto customer service outlets to have the student/senior fare automatically deducted instead of regular fare, and probably have to keep ID on them at all times in case of random card checks.

Ah -- I didn't realize Presto does not have fare categories yet. No timeline that I could see: https://www.prestocard.ca/en/StaticContent/Faq/
So that means students, seniors and kids are still using pre-Presto fare media on all participating transit services?
And does it make sense that bus drivers on local transit and GO services won't be requiring concession fare users to show age or status when boarding; i.e. that proof would be subject only to random checks? They'll have to have that figured out by the time TTC is integrated, or those media stories on fraud will come very regularly...

BTW, what's to stop adults from using a student/senior pass at unmanned TTC entrances currently? A lock-out?

-ed d.

Presto site as of today:
You can currently use your PRESTO card on:

* GO Transit
o Union Station
o All Lakeshore West, Milton, Georgetown, Barrie and Lakeshore East GO Rail Stations (excluding Pickering and Brampton GO Station)
o Kennedy, Oriole, Old Cummer and Langstaff GO Rail Stations
* Oakville Transit
* Burlington Transit
* MiWay
o Route 32-Lisgar GO
o Route 62 Cooksville
o Route 64-Meadowvale Shuttle-Montevideo
* Toronto Transit Commission
o Union, Bloor/Yonge, College, Dundas, Queen’s Park, St. George, St. Patrick, Kipling, Islington, Don Mills, Finch and Downsview Subway Stations

Coming in Spring 2011:

* GO Transit
o All Richmond Hill and Stouffville GO Rail Stations
* Brampton Transit
* MiWay
* Durham Region Transit
* York Region Transit
* Hamilton Street Railway

Coming in Summer 2011:

* GO Transit
o All GO Bus Routes

Thanks. The pamphlet warns "While travelling on GO you may be asked to show proof of age."

But the site's FAQ says:
Will my photo be necessary?

Currently, your photo is not required. However, identification will be required to verify concession categories (senior, child, and student) once fare categories are added to the PRESTO system.

I tweeted Presto for clarification. http://twitter.com/#!/eddrass

Presto's website also discusses reduced fares:

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/StaticContent/HowToUsePRESTO/#Reduced

Reduced Fare Categories

Participating transit agencies now offer “concession” fare categories in addition to the regular fares that can be paid with your PRESTO card. Concession fares are reduced-rate fare categories other than adult fares (for example, student, senior and child fares).

Receive the reduced concession fare on:

GO Transit
Oakville Transit
Burlington Transit
NOTE: Reduced fares are not currently available on the limited TTC PRESTO station application for the TTC. If you use your concession card to pay for a TTC fare, the full adult fare of $2.50 will be deducted
and then goes on to discuss categories, etc.

There are status update from January 4th on Presto's Facebook page mentioning the child fares ... I think that is about when they added the capability.

Back