News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I saw a guy swipe his Metropass against a Presto reader on a streetcar once. And when it wouldn't beep he said "goddamn system never works!"

Once I saw a guy push his way through the gates at Union because it did not work. Special Constables then detained him for property damage.

I saw a guy swipe his Metropass against a Presto reader on a streetcar once. And when it wouldn't beep he said "goddamn system never works!"
To be fair, I've probably looked as silly in Montreal, trying to use the wrong card on the wrong device there. If you do it every day, it's obvious. If you've borrowed a card from a friend you are visiting, it can be very confusing!

Now that Metropasses will be gone in a few weeks, and they can remove all those old readers, things will be simpler.

Ironically in Montreal, they'd already completed their transition, and still require two different readers on every gate/vehicle!

To be fair, I've probably looked as silly in Montreal, trying to use the wrong card on the wrong device there. If you do it every day, it's obvious. If you've borrowed a card from a friend you are visiting, it can be very confusing!

Now that Metropasses will be gone in a few weeks, and they can remove all those old readers, things will be simpler.

Ironically in Montreal, they'd already completed their transition, and still require two different readers on every gate/vehicle!

When I was in London last year I was coming back from Windsor Castle and could not figure out how to get through the exit gates. I tried tapping my train ticket on the card reader and was totally perplexed to the point where I could not find my way out of Paddington Station. Thankfully this happened often and there was someone there to let me out.

It is worse in London though as they have the Pink readers as well. The Pink readers are used to determine what zones are passed and when so the correct fare is paid as some zones were listed as Zones 2/3 or 3/4. The thinking is you tap the pink reader to avoid paying for zones you did not enter. Essentially if are entering from Zone 3 and heading to Zone 4 you do not get dinged for going through Zone 1.

See here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay...o/touch-pink-card-reader-when-changing-trains

When I was in London last year I was coming back from Windsor Castle and could not figure out how to get through the exit gates. I tried tapping my train ticket on the card reader and was totally perplexed to the point where I could not find my way out of Paddington Station.
Good point - I've no idea what I'd do with a paper ticket in London these days - I've been using Oyster, and simply tap. But I was completely mystified what to do on a double-decker bus that didn't have Oyster installed on it last year (seems they haven't stuck it on those old heritage vehicles) - the conductor just waived us on anyways, without having to pay.

I've had no idea what I'm doing in Seoul at times either - relying on the kind staff to let me past barriers, when I'd gone the wrong way! And I like to think I'm not worse-than-average at knowing how to use transit!

Good point - I've no idea what I'd do with a paper ticket in London these days - I've been using Oyster, and simply tap. But I was completely mystified what to do on a double-decker bus that didn't have Oyster installed on it last year (seems they haven't stuck it on those old heritage vehicles) - the conductor just waived us on anyways, without having to pay.

I've had no idea what I'm doing in Seoul at times either - relying on the kind staff to let me past barriers, when I'd gone the wrong way! And I like to think I'm not worse-than-average at knowing how to use transit!

What I found out was that the paper tickets are inserted into the turnstile where the machine reads and validates it. Once validated, the gates pop open and voila! Not something that is advertised to the public given that they have the Oyster.

What I found out was that the paper tickets are inserted into the turnstile where the machine reads and validates it. Once validated, the gates pop open and voila! Not something that is advertised to the public given that they have the Oyster.
Ah! Similar to Montreal then. Hmm, I wonder what happens if you stick your Oyster card in that, like how I tried to stick an monthly Opus card into the paper ticket reader in Montreal ... :)

Was this because this was a mainline service, or am I simply blind and hadn't noticed a paper ticket reader when tapping out (or into) the tube?

Ah! Similar to Montreal then. Hmm, I wonder what happens if you stick your Oyster card in that, like how I tried to stick an monthly Opus card into the paper ticket reader in Montreal ... :)

Was this because this was a mainline service, or am I simply blind and hadn't noticed a paper ticket reader when tapping out (or into) the tube?

You get greeted by transit personnel and shamefully asked to leave?

You get greeted by transit personnel and shamefully asked to leave?
LOL! Actually, I've found STM staff in stations pretty good to talk to - and quite helpful; but I have enough French that I can start in French, and then everyone switches to English. The bus drivers downtown though ... I think they must have a union directive, not to make a sound, not matter what!

Found this interesting... from link.

Children
Child Proof-of-Age Card
Effective March 1, 2015, children 12 years of age and under ride free.​
The TTC Child Proof-of-Age Card is available for children who are tall for their age. The card lets TTC drivers and collectors verify that the child is 12 or younger and eligible to ride for free. Every September we send a quantity of these cards to every elementary and secondary school in Toronto that has 11 and 12 year old students.​
To obtain one of these Proof-of-Age Cards at your school, please see your school administration. In addition to their availability at schools, you can get a Child Proof-of-Age Card by calling TTC Customer Service at (416) 393-4636.​
Children ages 6 to 12 will require a PRESTO card. It will not carry a balance but children will be able to tap on and enter the system. To set a child fare type on a PRESTO card you must go to Shoppers Drug Mart or visit the TTC’s Customer Service Centre above Davisville Station. Cards cost $6 and require a minimum $10 load. The money won’t expire and can be used on other transit agencies that use PRESTO. Valid government issued photo identification is needed to set a child fare type.

Children
Child Proof-of-Age Card
The TTC Child Proof-of-Age Card is available for children who are tall for their age. The card lets TTC drivers and collectors verify that the child is 12 or younger and eligible to ride for free. Every September we send a quantity of these cards to every elementary and secondary school in Toronto that has 11 and 12 year old students.​
To obtain one of these Proof-of-Age Cards at your school, please see your school administration. In addition to their availability at schools, you can get a Child Proof-of-Age Card by calling TTC Customer Service at (416) 393-4636.​
Children ages 6 to 12 will require a PRESTO card. It will not carry a balance but children will be able to tap on and enter the system. To set a child fare type on a PRESTO card you must go to Shoppers Drug Mart or visit the TTC’s Customer Service Centre above Davisville Station. Cards cost $6 and require a minimum $10 load. The money won’t expire and can be used on other transit agencies that use PRESTO. Valid government issued photo identification is needed to set a child fare type.

"No way he's 12, you look 30"

Children
Child Proof-of-Age Card
Had one as a kid, literally just has your name and when you turned 13. My school even laminated it for me since it was just a piece of paper.

My father is currently doing the 102 and just yesterday he a gentleman attempt to get on his bus near Passmore Road with a rather long beard and was boarding near a factory with his work bag. He put in a student fare and claimed he was a student, he then told him he to put in a proper fare or leave the bus. I will not disclose the ethnicity but it was safe to say that he was not a student.
Why did you think it necessary to mention ethnicity? By saying "I will not disclose ethnicity' you lead one to think you think 'ethnics' (i.e. people different from you) are more prone to fare evasion.

Why did you think it necessary to mention ethnicity? By saying "I will not disclose ethnicity' you lead one to think you think 'ethnics' (i.e. people different from you) are more prone to fare evasion.

Good catch. I removed it from my post. I was trying to avoid this turning into a debate hence why I mentioned not mentioning it. I was trying to leave it ambiguous.

Good catch. I removed it from my post. I was trying to avoid this turning into a debate hence why I mentioned not mentioning it. I was trying to leave it ambiguous.
Good - fare evasion is something that occurs everywhere and is done by rich and poor, bearded and unbearded, young and old, men and women, employed and unemployed. Not sure that your original post relating a single incident did anything to expand on this common problem or offer any solutions. All of it might have been best left unsaid.

Back