News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The default trip system is incredibly stupid because the second you want to take a different trip you have to remember to hit override.
I agree, by setting a default trip, one loses the habit of tapping off. That becomes problematic whenever a non-commuting trip's taken.
Wish it's set up where a second tap within 3-hours would automatically override the default trip.

Presto is telling me that none of my cards are activated, therefore making it impossible to determine if I have enough funds to go home. And obviously none of the terminals on the bus will tell me my balance either... because reasons. This system is so stupid. :mad:

Presto is telling me that none of my cards are activated, therefore making it impossible to determine if I have enough funds to go home. And obviously none of the terminals on the bus will tell me my balance either... because reasons. This system is so stupid. :mad:

There’s no way a software product of this low quality would ever be accepted by the private sector, but when you’re contracted by the public sector, I suppose all accountability for your garbage software quality assurance gets thrown out the window.

I just got off the phone with a representative from Presto. I was trying to find out what is happening with my April metropass as I still need one as I am still working right now. Anyway they informed me that they don't have access to the credit card information that people give to them which makes no sense to me whatsoever, does anyone else think that they should be able to access this information if requested by the customer?

I just got off the phone with a representative from Presto. I was trying to find out what is happening with my April metropass as I still need one as I am still working right now. Anyway they informed me that they don't have access to the credit card information that people give to them which makes no sense to me whatsoever, does anyone else think that they should be able to access this information if requested by the customer?
For security reasons they totally segregate credit card info and only your card company has it. Frankly, I think it's wise, if occasionally annoying.

For security reasons they totally segregate credit card info and only your card company has it. Frankly, I think it's wise, if occasionally annoying.
I don't relly see any reason whyt they can't at leat be able to tell me the last four digits of a card that is being charged, Fot security porspopes it make much more sense that they should be able to tell the customer what card is being used by them. For example what if a customer called to say that they had been overcharged for something?

No. It's common to setup a recurring transaction with a payment processor and receive a token (very large random number). Metrolinx deletes card information immediately, then Metrolinx charges the token periodically, and the payment processor hits the card. At most they should be able to tell you it's a Visa ending in XXXX.

Basically, it's a security thing. If they don't have CC info, a breach of their systems won't leak CC info.

Last edited:
No. It's common to setup a recurring transaction with a payment processor and receive a token (very large random number). Metrolinx deletes card information immediately, then Metrolinx charges the token periodically, and the payment processor hits the card. At most they should be able to tell you it's a Visa ending in XXXX.

Basically, it's a security thing. If they don't have CC info, a breach of their systems won't leak CC info.
Given how trash the rest of the software is, I don’t think I would trust Presto’s security either

Can someone say why the NFC functions on iPhone and Android can only put money on the presto card? Why doesn't it support using the phone as the presto card directly to pay? Is it possible to find a solution without removing current presto readers?

Can someone say why the NFC functions on iPhone and Android can only put money on the presto card? Why doesn't it support using the phone as the presto card directly to pay? Is it possible to find a solution without removing current presto readers?

I don’t know the answers to your questions, but next time you’re near an old PRESTO reader, hold your iPhone up to it. The PRESTO reader will activate your iPhone’s NFC reader and the iPhone will open the wallet app, in an attempt to “pay”. It won’t work, but interesting to see it almost working.

I don’t know the answers to your questions, but next time you’re near an old PRESTO reader, hold your iPhone up to it. The PRESTO reader will activate your iPhone’s NFC reader and the iPhone will open the wallet app, in an attempt to “pay”. It won’t work, but interesting to see it almost working.
That's because from a hardware and software point of view, the Presto Readers are always emitting a NFC source signal and the phoneb automatically detects this and attempts to open the wallet to pay. Why the readers are always emitting the signal probably has to do with how it interacts with the physical Presto Cards. The phone recogizes the NFC signal but it doesn't know how to handle it, thus needing Apple and Presto to update the wallet app to with the Presto app to support it.

My question is, can we get iPhone and Android NFC support to use a device as a presto card to pay for transit and verify presto passes. Is it possible with current presto readers? and if so, why has it been so hard and why is it taking so long to implement it?

My question is, can we get iPhone and Android NFC support to use a device as a presto card to pay for transit and verify presto passes. Is it possible with current presto readers? and if so, why has it been so hard and why is it taking so long to implement it?
I suspect it's not hardware issue with the readers but rather a software issue with the way the readers, cards, and the system communicates. We've had lots of conversations saying that the current implementation of the Presto system (not internect connected, data stored on cards, limited space on card, etc.) are fundamental problems with the Presto system being developed in an old fashion way. These problems may make it hard or maybe impossible to implement tapping on readers using smart devices. Another issue is whether or not they will clone your Physical Presto Card, Cut and Paste (physical onr no longer usable), or completely digital. Bascially the system was not designed for the with constant internect connectivity in mind and may require an overhaul.

Back