News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Malton went live yesterday.....sometimes the implementation seems a bit "weird"....on the G-Town line Mt. Pleasant went live first (couple of weeks ago) then Malton yesterday....but not the two busier stations (Brampton and Bramalea) in between? I am sure there is a good reason (possibly waiting for the south platform to open in the case of Brampton...who knows) but from an observing customer point of view...seems a bit weird!

Malton went live yesterday.....sometimes the implementation seems a bit "weird"....on the G-Town line Mt. Pleasant went live first (couple of weeks ago) then Malton yesterday....but not the two busier stations (Brampton and Bramalea) in between? I am sure there is a good reason (possibly waiting for the south platform to open in the case of Brampton...who knows) but from an observing customer point of view...seems a bit weird!
Chirp chirp... from a little birdy...

There have been problems with installations so they're taking stations live when they are ready rather than according to a formal schedule.

Presto should had been implemented a while ago...

I was in Guangzhou for the last two weeks and they have their own contactless smart card called 'Yang Cheng Tong' which I used to get around in their buses and subway most of the time.. Heck, you can even use it for calling on public phones, the ferry, and even taxis.

All I'm going to say is, HURRY UP ALREADY.

Presto should had been implemented a while ago...

I was in Guangzhou for the last two weeks and they have their own contactless smart card called 'Yang Cheng Tong' which I used to get around in their buses and subway most of the time.. Heck, you can even use it for calling on public phones, the ferry, and even taxis.

All I'm going to say is, HURRY UP ALREADY.
Where do you propose we find the $300 million to $400 million to implement on TTC?

Where do you propose we find the $300 million to $400 million to implement on TTC?

More to the point, how would TTC convince local retail to use Presto and not an Open Payment mechanism given these costs differences to the local retailer and the fact that many retailers are already rolling out open-payment.

The system that works in taxis, north american retail, etc. will not be Presto based; but TTC could certainly install the same system that will be in these other locations.

More to the point, how would TTC convince local retail to use Presto and not an Open Payment mechanism given these costs differences to the local retailer and the fact that many retailers are already rolling out open-payment.

The system that works in taxis, north american retail, etc. will not be Presto based; but TTC could certainly install the same system that will be in these other locations.

The plan is for PRESTO to now handle both... Kathleen Wynne announced this last week. (From what I read) The generation that TTC will get on their TC lines, etc, will be equipped with that - if PRESTO can keep to their timelines.

The plan is for PRESTO to now handle both... Kathleen Wynne announced this last week. (From what I read) The generation that TTC will get on their TC lines, etc, will be equipped with that - if PRESTO can keep to their timelines.

Which is where the real stupidity comes in. Now we have a custom built system which only a single vendor can maintain for the life of the system; which perfectly duplicates a standard system which is cheaper to build and maintain and can be procured or replaced by any number of vendors.

The additional features of Presto offers are very slim to be stuck with that chain. If ever there was an example of 'not invented here' then Presto is it. Heck, we couldn't even be bothered to just buy the Oyster system or something similar which has had the kinks worked out but instead started from scratch.

Full deployment of Presto across the entire system will be a $1B cost. We have already paid over 3 times the amount on Presto that Vancouver expects to for their entire installation, and we have very little to show for the effort since 2003.

I'm even willing to put money on Vancouver's deployment of Open Payment being complete and functional before Ottawa's deployment of Presto.

Presto is a perfect example of money wasted. Re-inventing a technology instead of procuring one that already exists, is functional, and well tested.

Last edited:
Question: You go on a date using public transit. Currently, one person may deposit a token for the date. Does that mean the couple going on public transit have to go dutch treat? Can the Presto pay for a couple or family, or do we need Presto for each member of the family?

Question: You go on a date using public transit. Currently, one person may deposit a token for the date. Does that mean the couple going on public transit have to go dutch treat? Can the Presto pay for a couple or family, or do we need Presto for each member of the family?
There needs to be one Presto Card per person ... though no reason that one person couldn't carry 2 cards ... presuming that they stay together.

The system is capable of deducting two fares from the Presto card at once for local transit only. I do not know if anyone has decided to take advantage of this feature. I don't know how transfers will work but I suspect someone will have to take a paper one.

Probably it is not a good idea to take a girl on a date using public transit, regardless of the PRESTO card features. At least not on the first date...

Unless you're trying to impress and urban hipster, of course.

Timeline for Presto under Ford

Has this already been discussed elsewhere?

-- --
With Rob Ford as Toronto's mayor-elect, what can we expect regarding roll-out of new fare technology on TTC? Here's a quote from his transport platform:

"We will introduce Smart Card technology for fare payment. Use of smart cards will reduce operating cost, improve our ability to measure and adjust the system to meet demands of a growing ridership and enable the TTC to set adjustable fares. Cost: currently included in TTC budget."

The latter part is somewhat confusing: The TTC has not allocated its $200-400 million estimated cost of Presto, as far as I know.

Has any part of the 'open payment' proposal been included in the budget?

Has any part of the 'open payment' proposal been included in the budget?
There's some money already from the federal, provincial, and city allocated for the GTA farecard policy. Tens of millions rather than 100's of millions. Was one of the promises a few years ago, before anyone costed it properly.

This could pay for implementation of Giambrone's open payment system ... which would be hugely ironic.

Back