News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When I registered my card almost a year ago it took over 2 weeks from the moment I 'registered' online for the card to be actually registered. No clue why it took so long, I assumed it was because the system was new. Eventually I was able to set up autoload and all.

When you registered online, did it confirm that you had sent your registration in? Or did it just keep popping up with the registration form page?

Buying the card online seems like a pointless exercise if you have to go to a station to activate it anyways. I am just going to buy a card at a station.

When Presto takes open payments, how is this tap-your-wallet thing going to work? Will it just pick whichever card it wants?
It all depends on what flavour mix of Open Payment and Contactless Payment that they settle on. In Utah, riders are asked to register their participating cards with UTA one time to facilitate authorization when they board. In California, BART piloted using an app on smartphones to manage accounts.

Buying the card online seems like a pointless exercise if you have to go to a station to activate it anyways. I am just going to buy a card at a station.

That's what I figured as well. It took all of 3 minutes to sign up for it and get everything set up at the station.

OK, so I used my Presto card for the first time yesterday. Everything seemed to go well, but now when I look at the website to see the transactions, things confuse me.

For example, I had $20 on the card. I tapped on at Clarkson GO, tapped off at Exhibition. Attended the Toronto FC game. Then I tapped on at Exhibition and off at Clarkson.

Today, the web site says I have a balance of $10.48. So I assume the two trips cost me a total of $9.52. However, the transactions list only lists the tap off at Exhibition (-$1.12) and the tap on at Exhibition ($-4.20). The tap on at Clarkson and the tap off at Clarkson are not listed at all. Strange. And I would have assumed the trips were equal price (it would cost the same to go Clarkson to Exhibition as Exhibition to Clarkson, which based on doubling the only two transactions listed, should have cost me 10.64, for a balance today of $9.36). But if you subtract the two Exhibition transactions from what it apparently cost me, you're left with $4.20. Any idea what's going on here? Is it just a slow system in terms of updating from Clarkson? Is the final tap off free (a discount?)?

Last edited:
OK, so I used my Presto card for the first time yesterday. Everything seemed to go well, but now when I look at the website to see the transactions, things confuse me.

It sounds like the system wasn't refreshed properly last night. Probably the data from Clarkson Station wasn't loaded and the system couldn't figure out what actually happened. I have seen it show strange things in the transaction history before, but it always sorts it out the next day. If not, give them a call.

For example, I had $20 on the card. I tapped on at Clarkson GO, tapped off at Exhibition. Attended the Toronto FC game. Then I tapped on at Exhibition and off at Clarkson.

Today, the web site says I have a balance of $10.48. So I assume the two trips cost me a total of $9.52. However, the transactions list only lists the tap off at Exhibition (-$1.12) and the tap on at Exhibition ($-4.20). The tap on at Clarkson and the tap off at Clarkson are not listed at all. Strange. And I would have assumed the trips were equal price (it would cost the same to go Clarkson to Exhibition as Exhibition to Clarkson, which based on doubling the only two transactions listed, should have cost me 10.64, for a balance today of $9.36). But if you subtract the two Exhibition transactions from what it apparently cost me, you're left with $4.20. Any idea what's going on here? Is it just a slow system in terms of updating from Clarkson? Is the final tap off free (a discount?)?
Did you set up a default trip prior to going?

I would note that $20 minus two trips costing $5.32 plus $1.12 is your current balance of $10.48. When you tapped on at Clarkson, a full fare to Union is $5.75. When you tapped on at Exhibition, a full fare to Hamilton is $9.50.

Anyway you cut it, it is confusing math. It needs to be more transparent to the total costs and saved costs.

Phila. plan to include credit cards, debit cards, cell phones

July 22, 2011|By Paul Nussbaum, Inquirer Staff Writer

SEPTA on Thursday took a $9 million step toward its long-awaited, long-delayed electronic fare system, although questions remain about how rail passengers will use it.

A SEPTA board committee approved a $9 million contract with LTK Engineering Services of Ambler to manage installation of the system. The full board will vote on it Thursday.

SEPTA officials plan to award a contract in September for the fare system, which will allow passengers to pay with credit cards, debit cards, cell phones, or electronic SEPTA cards.

The new, $100 million fare system is likely to take several years to install.

more at:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-22/news/29802250_1_septa-regional-rail-rail-passengers

I note current Philly fare media include tokens...

http://www.septa.org/fares/transit/index.html
Cash, Tokens, Transfers & Zone Charges

When riding on a City or Suburban Transit service, exact fare must be used.
Cash

The base cash fare for bus, trackless trolley, subway, and trolley service is $2.00. Cash is accepted for travel on all services. Exact fare must be used.

Regional Rail fares are based on zones. Knowing the zone of the station you are boarding and traveling to will help you determine the correct fare.

The base cash fare for Paratransit and Shared Ride service is $4.00.
Tokens

Tokens provide a discount off our base cash fare and cost $1.55 each.

Tokens may only be purchased in packs of 2 of two or more. Two cost $3.10; five are $7.75, and a ten pack costs $15.50. They are also available for bulk purchase.

Tokens may not be returned at any time for a refund.

Purchase anytime at shop.SEPTA.org

Transfers

A transfer may be purchased for an additional $1.00 when a trip requires more than one transit service in the same direction of travel. A re-transfer may also be purchased for an additional $1.00. The purchase of a transfer must occur when a customer boards the first service used; a re-transfer is purchased on the second service.

Transfers are sold on a bus, trolley, trackless trolley or Norristown High Speed Line onboard; and from a cashier booth attendant on the Market-Frankford Line and Broad Street Line.

hi, i wanted to know if i would be able to transfer from mississauga transit to TTC islington subway using the 2 hour transfer i get with the card when i ay the fare...

Should Presto be fully implemented on TTC?

I didn't want to start another thread so I thought I make a post here. So, what do you guys think about this question? Should Presto be fully implemented on TTC? If so, how will it work? Will we still be paying a flat fare or would it be better if it was changed to fare by distance?

Personally, I think it is doable. By implementing Presto on all TTC systems will make travelling much easier and quicker. We won't have to scramble for tokens, tickets, or cash. The problem is, how would the fare work? Charge a flat fare of $3 or charge by distance? How will the fares be listed for children, students, adults, and seniors? I know it sounds hard to get it to work, but I think we can start planning.

Back