News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The sibway platforms are quite high so it might not be practical to run LRT the height of our subway trains on the street as a tram. But we should be able to modify the station platforms and lower their height without shutting down the system. Remember thst all sheppard line platforms are designed to accomedations 6 car trains but currently are only configured to fit 4 cars. All we need to do is to lower the platform at the two car section to start and then extend the lowered section after the service switch over.

This and duel mode powered LRTs will easily make the sheppard line a mode service.

Those subway platforms are hollow. They can be jack-hammered out, and new low-floor platforms put in. Since the station box was designed for a full six-car subway train (or a five-car light-rail train), and they are only using space on the Sheppard Subway box for a four-car train, they can do sections at a time. Step, escalators, and elevators would be the major work projects.

It's not even a new idea! The reason why I'm probably so obsessed with this right now is because I'm living in Amsterdam where the LRVs do exactly that. The LRVs run in the subway tunnel using third rail until it reaches a station where it puts up a pantograph and continues its route along a Transit City-style street median LRT line.

(So it really gets my goat when people on UT suggest that a LRV I ride every week is either non-existent or impossible.)

Since you want to keep harping on this.....

Have you done any projections on what the cost to procure a completely separate and different fleet of LRVs would be? What it would cost to maintain them in their own facility? What it would cost to retrofit the Sheppard subway stations? What it would cost to redo the engineering of the Sheppard Line to handle these high-platform cars? Are these changes substantial enough that we're going to have to redo the EA process?

Hell, while you're at it, let's do the calculations for the life-cycle costs too. Can all of the modifications and the purchase of a unique fleet of equipment be expected to "pay for itself" in the long run?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Using proprietary technology sounds like a bad idea. We don't want to repeat what happened with Line 3.

Whats wrong with Line 3? It has the highest reliability of any of the lines in the TTC

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...lect-of-scarborough-rt-is-shameful-james.html

“Notwithstanding criticisms and misinformation over the years, the Scarborough RT has been the single most-reliable service operated by the TTC.â€

Ontop of that, it was supposed and could have simply been refurbished and extended for a fraction of the cost of LRT, and thats what a transit study suggested to do.

It was Miller and his "LRT for every route ever City" that called for the RT to be replaced by LRT. There was zero need to.

http://torontoist.com/2012/02/after-the-vote-what-does-the-future-hold-for-council-and-the-ttc/

http://coderedto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2010_Scarborough_RT_Trans_Report.pdf

"According to initial plans, the Scarborough RT was to be refurbished and extended northeast to Malvern Centre."

There is nothing nor ever was anything wrong with Line 3.

Have you done any projections on what the cost to procure a completely separate and different fleet of LRVs would be? What it would cost to maintain them in their own facility? What it would cost to retrofit the Sheppard subway stations? What it would cost to redo the engineering of the Sheppard Line to handle these high-platform cars? Are these changes substantial enough that we're going to have to redo the EA process?

Hell, while you're at it, let's do the calculations for the life-cycle costs too. Can all of the modifications and the purchase of a unique fleet of equipment be expected to "pay for itself" in the long run?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Well, for wild-eyed guesses, let's try a lifetime markup of 25% over the price of the standard BBD Flexity for a low floor model. Try $ 20M per platform lowered, ie $40M per station . I'm being optimistic that as noted the only modification is jack hammering and excavating. Assume there is room for ramped access to the platforms so no changes to escalators etc. Assume signals are compatible. Assume $10M per km of track for whatever new electrical power delivery infrastructure is fitted.

Against this, credit a 10% ridership and revenue increase thanks to the line taking higher profile as a corridor and a positive effect on pace of development along the line. As noted, credit the savings in TR orders thanks to subway cars redeployed to Lines 1 and 2. I won't propose any 'intangible' benefit credits.

These numbers are pure guesses and undoubtedly can be argued. The point is, maybe it's a quarter of a billion. Far cheaper than additional subway construction, and still prudent within the GTA funding envelope, whatever that is. The world won't end if this isn't done - It's just the price of correcting the past and doing things right.

- Paul

Whats wrong with Line 3? It has the highest reliability of any of the lines in the TTC

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...lect-of-scarborough-rt-is-shameful-james.html

“Notwithstanding criticisms and misinformation over the years, the Scarborough RT has been the single most-reliable service operated by the TTC.”

Ontop of that, it was supposed and could have simply been refurbished and extended for a fraction of the cost of LRT, and thats what a transit study suggested to do.

It was Miller and his "LRT for every route ever City" that called for the RT to be replaced by LRT. There was zero need to.

http://torontoist.com/2012/02/after-the-vote-what-does-the-future-hold-for-council-and-the-ttc/

http://coderedto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2010_Scarborough_RT_Trans_Report.pdf

"According to initial plans, the Scarborough RT was to be refurbished and extended northeast to Malvern Centre."

There is nothing nor ever was anything wrong with Line 3.

Royson James is a twat, and very little of what he writes is true if you actually start to dig beneath the very bare skin of what he writes. He refuses to interpret the numbers that he's given correctly, and then tries to brow-beat his readers from his bully pulpit with them. For instance, if the SRT was so reliable - which it isn't - why would the TTC be trying to get rid of it? The fact of the matter is that since the day it was opened it has been a mistake and a pain to run. The numbers that James quotes for his claim of "most reliable" are noted to be skewed, and don't take into account the very important premise that the TTC has been running the SRT in a "degraded mode" (their words, by the way) for the past several years because of how unreliable the line is. Back when it was operating in the same manner of the rest of the subway lines, it was the least reliable by those same skewed metrics. And don't forget that it uses a technology that is an orphan when compared to everything else on the system, and requires equipment that can only be purchased from one manufacturer.

So yeah, there is lots wrong with the SRT.

Well, for wild-eyed guesses, let's try a lifetime markup of 25% over the price of the standard BBD Flexity for a low floor model. Try $ 20M per platform lowered, ie $40M per station . I'm being optimistic that as noted the only modification is jack hammering and excavating. Assume there is room for ramped access to the platforms so no changes to escalators etc. Assume signals are compatible. Assume $10M per km of track for whatever new electrical power delivery infrastructure is fitted.

Against this, credit a 10% ridership and revenue increase thanks to the line taking higher profile as a corridor and a positive effect on pace of development along the line. As noted, credit the savings in TR orders thanks to subway cars redeployed to Lines 1 and 2. I won't propose any 'intangible' benefit credits.

These numbers are pure guesses and undoubtedly can be argued. The point is, maybe it's a quarter of a billion. Far cheaper than additional subway construction, and still prudent within the GTA funding envelope, whatever that is. The world won't end if this isn't done - It's just the price of correcting the past and doing things right.

- Paul

Here's the thing - I think that it's going to be a lot more than that once you start to really dig into the numbers. While it may be a good thing (in a way) that very little of the infrastructure has actually been constructed for the LRT to the east (which would therefore allow some ability to change things before the shovels hit the ground), there is a ton of stuff that still will need to be hammered out. And there's also the issue about how far you can go with changes before a new EA is going to be triggered, and all of the costs associated with that. For instance, if you use a vehicle that is about the same width as a Flexity, than you may not have to change much of the on-street infrastructure, but you will have to make some changes to the tunnels - such as the emergency walkways, which are currently at the floor height of a subway car. But if you use a wider LRV, than the whole of the surface level infrastructure needs to be redesigned to handle a 10+ foot-wide car.

At the end of the day, no matter what, the majority of riders will need to transfer from one mode to the other. It simply isn't feasible/practical/cost-effective to have one vehicle take them from their origin to their destination.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sorry, didn’t mean to get anyone’s goat. I don’t know that much about this, so I wasn’t sure.

Apologies for making it seem that it was that was directed at you. It wasn't intended to be, it was a general comment.

And if we were to cancel the current LRV order, change the SELRT plans, put out a tender for an entire new fleet of vehicles with a special pantograph feature etc....wouldn't that be about on par in terms of costs, complexity, time as, say, making the tunnels larger for the current LRV fleet?

I think things really are too far gone at the point to make a change. As I stated days ago, I'm really aiming for the death of the "accepted" perception that the only way to make Sheppard a single line would be to spend hundreds of millions on expanding the tunnels.

That said, I'm quite certain that changing an LRT order to a different design (one that isn't unique and high-floor vehicles are generally cheaper than low-floor ones) would be a tiny fraction of the cost of expanding the tunnels.

Hey Dan! Yeah, I know I'm harping but like I said, this widely accepted misperception is really bugging me!

I haven't made any arguments about costs, so it's interesting that you've brought that into the argument. I'm don't have all the information at hand needed to crunch life-cycle costs, but it would be fantastic if someone did. So I can't answer that, but I can still continue to talk about the potential range of transit system designs. Can you crunch life-cycle costs? Otherwise I'll leave those questions unanswered and assume that you agree that a single line is doable, but we're just not sure what the economic case is.

As for redesigning things, I've previously said that I think things are too far gone at this point to change course. Which is perhaps unfortunate, but doesn't prevent us from working to overcome the misperception that the only solution to a single line would require spending hundreds of millions on rebuilding the tunnels and platforms.

Overall, I think that trying to shift the debate away from the "Subways vs. LRT" false dichotomy to a more nuanced one about the multitude of ways that LRT can be designed and implemented will really foster a better discourse about rapid transit in Toronto. I dream of a future when people in transit discussions ask "What is the appropriate level of grade separation?" rather than yelling "Subways subways subways!".

Actually, yes he did!

because AMSTERDAM.

I specifically said "could", based upon a relevant case study from another jurisdiction. What information do you have to suggest it would be otherwise? If you have any info, you should add it to the discussion.

Besides, don't you think there's value in seeing how other places deal with the same problems that we face?

Interesting argument. But with a rolling stock that is designed to fit on the existing line, you could remove that $40M per station for lowering platforms. Also, since there won't be as much of need to reconfigure Sheppard station to add an additional LRT platform, there is potential savings there was well.

But still, all these numbers are really based on conjecture.

Last edited:
Royson James is a twat, and very little of what he writes is true if you actually start to dig beneath the very bare skin of what he writes. He refuses to interpret the numbers that he's given correctly, and then tries to brow-beat his readers from his bully pulpit with them. For instance, if the SRT was so reliable - which it isn't - why would the TTC be trying to get rid of it? The fact of the matter is that since the day it was opened it has been a mistake and a pain to run. The numbers that James quotes for his claim of "most reliable" are noted to be skewed, and don't take into account the very important premise that the TTC has been running the SRT in a "degraded mode" (their words, by the way) for the past several years because of how unreliable the line is. Back when it was operating in the same manner of the rest of the subway lines, it was the least reliable by those same skewed metrics. And don't forget that it uses a technology that is an orphan when compared to everything else on the system, and requires equipment that can only be purchased from one manufacturer.

So yeah, there is lots wrong with the SRT.

Here's the thing - I think that it's going to be a lot more than that once you start to really dig into the numbers. While it may be a good thing (in a way) that very little of the infrastructure has actually been constructed for the LRT to the east (which would therefore allow some ability to change things before the shovels hit the ground), there is a ton of stuff that still will need to be hammered out. And there's also the issue about how far you can go with changes before a new EA is going to be triggered, and all of the costs associated with that. For instance, if you use a vehicle that is about the same width as a Flexity, than you may not have to change much of the on-street infrastructure, but you will have to make some changes to the tunnels - such as the emergency walkways, which are currently at the floor height of a subway car. But if you use a wider LRV, than the whole of the surface level infrastructure needs to be redesigned to handle a 10+ foot-wide car.

At the end of the day, no matter what, the majority of riders will need to transfer from one mode to the other. It simply isn't feasible/practical/cost-effective to have one vehicle take them from their origin to their destination.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

While I personally do not know the Royson James twatiness factor for myself, whether his numbers are skewed or not, you bring no evidence yourself to refute his claims, besides anecdotal evidence and opinions.

Empirical evidence will only be refuted when better evidence is given in its place, not calling someone a twat.

So until you do so, I will have to believe what I see as the most reputable source of information, which at this point are the articles I posted.

Royce James once thought subways everywhere was possible and that the lrt plan was moronic. He flip and flops more than Karen stintz. But hey if you think he's the most credible source for information good on you.

Royce James once thought subways everywhere was possible and that the lrt plan was moronic. He flip and flops more than Karen stintz. But hey if you think he's the most credible source for information good on you.

Quit telling me how you feel, I am not your therapist, and give me some data to refute his claims. Or else dont bother.

James is the same as all the Star columnists, or really all Canadian newspaper columnists. They all appear to have never left the 80's, still believing their geriatric reader base makes them important, and still oblivious that their farcical statements can be easily fact checked exposing them as ignorant, uninformed, and irrelevant. They have almost caught up to local TV news in irrelevance to the city.

Urban Toronto provides more comprehensive coverage of non-trivial Toronto issues than all Toronto newspapers and TV stations combined, every day.

Last edited:
Quit telling me how you feel, I am not your therapist, and give me some data to refute his claims. Or else dont bother.

I'm on my cell so i cant be bothered to search to answer your bait. I guess that means until someone else answers you then you are correct in your beliefs.

Back