News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

If you really think he has no chance of winning, why even bother asking?
Because I don't think one should be voting based on false pretences.

Besides, I've already said he has a chance, if the opposition vote gets split; Ford seems to max out at about 30-35%. If it ends up being a 35%-30%-30% split (with 5% to the rest), it's not impossible.

And I've never seen B-D trains as packed as Yonge during normal service. That must mean we only have one successful subway line.

Are you serious? Can you really not tell the difference between B-D and Sheppard or are you just pretending not to?

Are you serious? Can you really not tell the difference between B-D and Sheppard or are you just pretending not to?

The Sheppard line has the same headway during the rush and during the non-rush hour: 5 minutes. Also, the Sheppard uses 4 car trains, while the others use 6 car trains.

Maybe they can extend the subway to Agincourt, and have the LRT start from there instead where they're now doing work. Could lead to a further extension to SCC.

Ford has already said that his subway suggestions won't fly if no one funds them. The province has already said it won't fund the subway proposals and will proceed with the current plans.

Ironically, Toronto might actually get more subways with Smitherman as mayor than with Ford. Smitherman will at least try to make modest improvements to TC: BD subway to Scarborough Centre, underground Eglinton LRT all the way to Royal York, and Sheppard subway to Downsview.

For Ford, public transit is just not a topic worth fighting for.

I hope that Pantalone shows courage and ends his bid. He can't win, but by withdrawing he can significantly improve Smitherman's chances.

Ironically, Toronto might actually get more subways with Smitherman as mayor than with Ford.
Given that Ford wants to cancel the 10-km LRT subway tunnel on Eglinton that starts construction in 2011, while Smitherman wants to keep it, then I think this is true; and not ironic.

The Sheppard E subway was funded and got cut short.
The Eglinton W subway was funded and got cancelled.

It stands to reason that if the new mayor were able to convince the senior government levels that their money were better spent elsewhere that the project could be cancelled

Did the mayor convince the province to truncate the subway to Don Mills, or to cancel the subway?

The province already said the lines will be built, regardless of who is the next mayor.

Did the mayor convince the province to truncate the subway to Don Mills, or to cancel the subway?

The province already said the lines will be built, regardless of who is the next mayor.
The province pulled the plug on the Sheppard subway, and Toronto funded it 100%.

There's a big difference in cancelling a project like Eglinton RT or Eglinton West subway and the Sheppard LRT which has a signed federal-provincial funding agreement in place.

If Smitherman wins, he can do whatever he wants on Sheppard. All it takes is to call up Dalton McGuinty, with whom I'm sure he's very good friends.

The province pulled the plug on the Sheppard subway, and Toronto funded it 100%.

There's a big difference in cancelling a project like Eglinton RT or Eglinton West subway and the Sheppard LRT which has a signed federal-provincial funding agreement in place.

I do not think that is true. As I recall, Lastman managed to get the province to fork over the cash to partially complete Sheppard.

I do not think that is true. As I recall, Lastman managed to get the province to fork over the cash to partially complete Sheppard.
Well, it's been a few years. Lastman wasn't mayor of Toronto when construction started ... perhaps some funding got passed on after Toronto went it alone?

Whole discussion is moot ... election seems to be clearly going to Smitherman, and he has promised to complete Sheppard East LRT and also built a branch to UT Scarborough by 2015.

Last edited:
The Sheppard E subway was funded and got cut short.
The Eglinton W subway was funded and got cancelled.

It stands to reason that if the new mayor were able to convince the senior government levels that their money were better spent elsewhere that the project could be cancelled

You could say the same thing about a full fledged subway going to a parking lot in exurban Vaughan. The money may be better spent elsewhere.

In terms of the Sheppard East LRT, I suppose if any of the city, province or federal governments want to be tarred with canceling jobs by reneging on a contract already awarded to Canadian supplier Bombardier they might consider canceling the project. But with the funding in place, construction ongoing, the car house in tender, cars ordered, and businesses on Sheppard in favour of the project, it will probably go forward.

Back