News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Well then they can just trench down the middle of Sheppard and have the TRs run under intersections like on Allen. They can forget about urbanizing Sheppard which wasn't really likely to happen anyway.

According to Andre Sorensen's study, Sheppard is one of the few places in Scarborough where urbanization could possibly happen. Although I'm interested in what could happen with the McCowan precinct plan.

Then we'd be stuck with a pointless linear transfer to a stub subway. A tribute to botched haphazard planning.
Reason why I never liked the cross-platform transfer plan for Don Mills, despite it means convenience - because it also means the pointless transfer becomes pretty much permanent. You can't extend the subway eastward, nor the LRT westward, without a massive reconfiguration in the future.

Reason why I never liked the cross-platform transfer plan for Don Mills, despite it means convenience - because it also means the pointless transfer becomes pretty much permanent. You can't extend the subway eastward, nor the LRT westward, without a massive reconfiguration in the future.
So we should build something that requires a lot more walking now, on the offchance that you might build something 30-40 years from now? If you extend subway in future, you've already got a massive reconfiguration. You might as well make the walk the shortest now, and worry about the future, if it ever happens.

There's likely as much chance 30 years from now, that they'd be converting the subway to LRT, as they would be extending the subway after building LRT. At least the current plan minimized the amount you'd have to dig up Don Mills station if they ever did the former, rather than the latter.

Then we'd be stuck with a pointless linear transfer to a stub subway. A tribute to botched haphazard planning.

We've been stuck with a pointless linear transfer to a stub subway for 13 years. It already is a tribute to botched haphazard planning.

So we should build something that requires a lot more walking now, on the offchance that you might build something 30-40 years from now? If you extend subway in future, you've already got a massive reconfiguration. You might as well make the walk the shortest now, and worry about the future, if it ever happens.

There's likely as much chance 30 years from now, that they'd be converting the subway to LRT, as they would be extending the subway after building LRT. At least the current plan minimized the amount you'd have to dig up Don Mills station if they ever did the former, rather than the latter.
Why will there be a need for massive reconfiguration if the subway's to be extended? The reconfiguration only happens because of the current platform plan for the LRT.

What they should do is have the LRT tunnels connect to the existing tunnels as if they are part of the extension of the subway, but run the LRT tracks to one of the existing platform.

Last edited:
All the plans that I have seen for the transfer at Don Mills have the LRT platforms at the east end of the subway platforms, a centre platform with the LRT tracks sitting just inside the subway tracks.

All the plans that I have seen for the transfer at Don Mills have the LRT platforms at the east end of the subway platforms, a centre platform with the LRT tracks sitting just inside the subway tracks.

I would imagine that they would be a direct continuation of the subway tracks - just to keep options open if either the subway or LRT would be extended.
I can't imagine that the centre-to-centre distance between tracks would be any different on the LRT side than the subway side (plus or minus a few inches because the 2 vehicles are different widths).

Yes, something like that.

I was referring to what would be the case, if didn't build the LRT at the same level ... so that the subway could continue. Presumably then, the tunnel would still come to a dead end.

The tunnel doesn't so much come to a dead end as transition to the surface as an LRT ramp. Presumably to extend the subway a set of tunnels could be dug eastward and then connected to the existing tunnel at a point before the ramp. I don't think it's a huge obstacle.

The tunnel doesn't so much come to a dead end as transition to the surface as an LRT ramp. Presumably to extend the subway a set of tunnels could be dug eastward and then connected to the existing tunnel at a point before the ramp. I don't think it's a huge obstacle.
Or we could simply build the LRT as designed and worry about something like that in 2055 or so if it ever becomes an issue ...

Let's not over-dramatize that transfer from LRT to subway. It will be easier than the transfer that exists today (Sheppard bus to subway, via long flights of stairs or long escalators). It will be easier than the majority of bus-to-subway transfers today.

And, I think it is better than a continuous but exhausting 40-min or 50-min bus ride from the edge of the city to a Yonge subway station (the kind of trip many riders have to take today).

Let's not over-dramatize that transfer from LRT to subway. It will be easier than the transfer that exists today (Sheppard bus to subway, via long flights of stairs or long escalators). It will be easier than the majority of bus-to-subway transfers today.

And, I think it is better than a continuous but exhausting 40-min or 50-min bus ride from the edge of the city to a Yonge subway station (the kind of trip many riders have to take today).

A lot of the objections are based on "it won't look right on the subway map".

Back