News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Province and City really screwed this one up over the last decade.

Could've had an LRT to STC already up and running, and a Sheppard extension with a stop at STC ready, and the Eglinton LRT already running (or at least a lot closer to being finished)...not to mention a DRL to Sheppard much, much further ahead.

The EELRT could've been on the radar too.

I thought it's the Scarborough-Agincourt and Scarborough-North residents that will be most effected, not Don Valley North's.
Two of the proposed stations are in her ward.

The two that were initially promised over 35 years ago, and then deferred to Phase 2.

We might have something here if Metrolinx hadn't wasted several years pretending to be building something along the corridor.

This topic should be changed from "In Design" to "Cancelled". The recent Metrolinx Audit report clearly says this LRT is dead since the PC took office. Now it's all fantasy subway talks with nothing being done.

This topic should be changed from "In Design" to "Cancelled". The recent Metrolinx Audit report clearly says this LRT is dead since the PC took office. Now it's all fantasy subway talks with nothing being done.
To Don Mills perhaps, but city is still actively looking at LRT east of McCowan - possibly part of Line 5. In design might be a stretch, but so would be cancelled.

To Don Mills perhaps, but city is still actively looking at LRT east of McCowan - possibly part of Line 5. In design might be a stretch, but so would be cancelled.

is that the little piece of the crosstown east extension that travels a short distance on Sheppard in order to connect between Malvern and UofT Scarborough? Or is there something else i haven't seen-

is that the little piece of the crosstown east extension that travels a short distance on Sheppard in order to connect between Malvern and UofT Scarborough? Or is there something else i haven't seen-

On the books, Phase 2 of EE LRT goes up Morningside to Sheppard, then backs west from Morningside to Neilson, and then north into Malvern.

That route is dubious by itself; nobody is going to sit on the LRT for 35 min going from Malvern Centre around all of Eastern Scarborough to Kennedy, when the bus + subway can get you there in 20 min.

But, that route would bring the LRT tracks to Sheppard East and within 3 km from the SSE's McCowan terminus. A short extension, not on the books today but entirely logical, would connect the LRT to subway terminus there. And once you have the tracks, you can decide which routes to operate. Definitely one LRT route would connect Malvern with the McCowan subway terminus; it would be short, efficient, and popular. The other route coming from Eglinton East and UTSC, can be directed either to the McCowan subway terminus or to Malvern, dependent on where the demand is.

No, there's something else!

At the December 16 2020 city council meeting, the update for the Eglinton East LRT line included a concept for an LRT segment on Sheppard East from Malvern to Sheppard East station (Sheppard/McCowan). Councillor McKelvie put forth a motion that was passed unanimously (25-0 even Ford) to:

2. City Council request the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the Executive Director, Transit Expansion Office to forward the concept for the Eglinton East Light Rail Transit proposed segment from Malvern Street to McCowan Road and Sheppard Avenue to Metrolinx, so that the design of the new McCowan/Sheppard station recognizes the potential for connections of the Sheppard Subway, and Eglinton East Light Rail Transit in the future.

This figure appeared in the December 16 2020 update to council.

I'm surprised that in the 15 pages of bickering since this was published in early December, that no one actually mentioned it here!

With plans still afoot to build 5-km of LRT on Sheppard East from McCowan to Morningside (and probably to Conlins as well, as they are still looking at options for the additional maintenance centre), the Sheppard East LRT is not dead. But they city seems to be doing it under the guise of the Eglinton LRT - which seems to be working, as even here no one noticed!:)

Hopefully if they ever build this, they manage to add 2 more stops and 1 mile of track to get it to Meadowvale as orginally proposed in Transit City.
1613188867196.png

Now that's what you call things coming full circle 😅

At the December 16 2020 city council meeting, the update for the Eglinton East LRT line included a concept for an LRT segment on Sheppard East from Malvern to Sheppard East station (Sheppard/McCowan). Councillor McKelvie put forth a motion that was passed unanimously (25-0 even Ford) to:

2. City Council request the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the Executive Director, Transit Expansion Office to forward the concept for the Eglinton East Light Rail Transit proposed segment from Malvern Street to McCowan Road and Sheppard Avenue to Metrolinx, so that the design of the new McCowan/Sheppard station recognizes the potential for connections of the Sheppard Subway, and Eglinton East Light Rail Transit in the future.

I'm surprised that in the 15 pages of bickering since this was published in early December, that no one actually mentioned it here!

With plans still afoot to build 5-km of LRT on Sheppard East from McCowan to Morningside (and probably to Conlins as well, as they are still looking at options for the additional maintenance centre), the Sheppard East LRT is not dead. But they city seems to be doing it under the guise of the Eglinton LRT - which seems to be working, as even here no one noticed!:)

Hopefully if they ever build this, they manage to add 2 more stops and 1 mile of track to get it to Meadowvale as orginally proposed in Transit City.
View attachment 299791

View attachment 299791
If that branch of the EELRT to McCowan was built, I wonder how long it would be before people start complaining about the linear transfer.

If that branch of the EELRT to McCowan was built, I wonder how long it would be before people start complaining about the linear transfer.
There will probably be some but it won't be as big of a deal as Kennedy Station, due to both Line 2 and Line 4 being there. However I do think that it will lead to more political pressure to extend the Sheppard Subway east within some 30 years after opening.

There will probably be some but it won't be as big of a deal as Kennedy Station, due to both Line 2 and Line 4 being there. However I do think that it will lead to more political pressure to extend the Sheppard Subway east within some 30 years after opening.
By then there might be the density to necessitate a subway popping up so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Back