News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Regardless of cost they should just run the LRT as one continuous route through the tunnels as well. Even more convenient.

I have a question; does anyone have, or has anyone seen any good mapping for what is taking place right now as far as Eglinton and Sheppard transit lines go? I saw this article in Toronto Star yesterday and kind of rolled my eyes. it seems like every month the plans change thanks to politics. It looks like Toronto Star put a map together that is exactly what I am looking for but just not a precise as I need it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...ecommends-sheppard-lrt-building-start-in-2014

Sorry in advance for posting this question in here, it seemed like the most related topic to do it in, and I don't have permissions to post new threads yet : (

Is the Sheppard LRT so badly needed that it has to come first? I don't understand why so many political wars are being fought. Why not do the things that are widely agreed on -- Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT and maybe, I'd lke to think, LRT-izing GO, if it was seriously put on the table by someone (please!)? It seems as though doing those things, along with the Spadina line extension that is underway, would reduce offload the Finch West and Sheppard East buses. Is Sheppard West LRT really the top priority? I don't quite get it.

Eglinton is the priority and it has already started (geological surveys, TBM launch shaft) but will take longer to do. Sheppard is the second priority compared to all the other Transit City routes, maybe third if the SRT replacement is considered but SRT replacement is waiting for the Pan Am Games to end. Converting GO to LRT?? That will never happen. Frequent trains similar to what GO is buying for the airport rail link are likely at some point (minus the special interiors), but light rail on those routes would mean a far more operationally expensive rush hour service.

I have a question; does anyone have, or has anyone seen any good mapping for what is taking place right now as far as Eglinton and Sheppard transit lines go?

That graphic is what is happening now. The only actual work you can see is the TBM launch shaft near Jane and Eglinton for the Eglinton LRT, and the Sheppard / Agincourt GO underpass. Before Ford canceled the Sheppard East LRT and the council uncanceled it the plan was to have two stretches of track completed on Sheppard this year with the line going into service in early 2014.

Thanks. I was just noticing the legend in the article stating it is "street level LRT", which as we know that is not the case- specifically when it goes underground and re-surfaces somewhere near consumers. I guess another more precise question I have; does anyone know where the actual stops will be? I think the EA should have spoken to that but I am not sure if there have been changes/ modifications of alignment since I have not been following things too closely.

You may have noticed that the other teminal point (Sheppard/Yonge) already operates with a single platform and creates exactly the same restriction, possibly more-so since there are more riders at this location.

That said, the original Transit City design was to extend Don Mills platform east to accomodate the LRT and 2 subway trains simultaneously.

This is labelled as an artists concept, so they may not have been provided those blueprints but instead just a basic verbal description.

At Sheppard & Yonge, operations could easily be altered to offload on the north platform, pull into the tail tracks and load on the south platform if more capacity is needed.

If Don Mills station is reduced to one track for the subway this limits the headways the subway can operate at. Go to Kennedy station on the Scarborough RT to see why this is a problem.

The Sheppard corridor is densely populated and the whole area around the DVP/401/404 is extremely congested in rush hour, I have a hard time believing that the Sheppard subway extension would be underused especially if we start seeing a significant amount of job growth in this area.

At Sheppard & Yonge, operations could easily be altered to offload on the north platform, pull into the tail tracks and load on the south platform if more capacity is needed.

If Don Mills station is reduced to one track for the subway this limits the headways the subway can operate at. Go to Kennedy station on the Scarborough RT to see why this is a problem.

The Sheppard corridor is densely populated and the whole area around the DVP/401/404 is extremely congested in rush hour, I have a hard time believing that the Sheppard subway extension would be underused especially if we start seeing a significant amount of job growth in this area.

Anyone ever tell you that you are over dramatic... I use to take the SRT and the ontrack at kennedy is the least of its problems... Currently I often get off at Downsview... Despite having two tracks rarely are both being used. Sheppard is not more busy then downsview... Am i wrong?

It isn't the area around the 404 that's the issue, it's the area east of Warden. It's almost as if as soon as you cross Victoria Park Sheppard East becomes almost an entirely different street.

The demand is definitely there up until Victoria Park, and a case can be made for pushing it to Warden in order to serve the employment cluster further north, but between Warden and STC it's pretty shaky in terms of a planning rationale. It's more for network connectivity than to actually serve adjacent uses.

If GO REX or any other type of increased service on the Stouffville line becomes a reality, then I think there will be more of a rationale for pushing the line further east to end there. Agincourt can become a pretty major transit hub.

The only reason the SELRT was pushed so hard was to bury the completion of the Sheppard subway. I find the whole SELRT a giant waste of money, so this does not surprise me.

Like I said, get a clue. Even with the current single track terminals, the Sheppard line can support up to 12,000pph and those people are going north on the 404 not to Consumers Road or STC.

The only reason the SELRT was pushed so hard was to bury the completion of the Sheppard subway. I find the whole SELRT a giant waste of money, so this does not surprise me.

That's opinion. It's fact that the Sheppard subway has been a waste of money.

That and to make sure that there was good transit to the tin foil hat factory at the corner of Markham and Sheppard.

I would argue that the Finch East LRT should be a higher priority than Sheppard. Finch passes through employment areas, the priority Jane-Finch and Rexdale neighbourhoods, a number of small local malls, and Humber College (side note: I've met quite a few people in Richmond Hill who have or currently attend Humber, and and having some form of higher order rail transit would be much beneficial to these students). The corridor is chronically congested with not just cars, but heavy truck transport due to the number of industrial areas and its connection to the 400. Providing more attractive public transit to individuals would allow this road to be better utilized by commercial vehicles. And yes, it wouldn't shunt the Sheppard line. Not saying that it should continue as a subway per se, but it could buy time to complete a better plan rather than force light rail and a transfer along the corridor.

Planning2plan, here are PDFs of the lines and their stops:

Sheppard East LRT - http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/pdf/map_stops.pdf
Finch East LRT - http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/etobicoke_finch_w_lrt/pdf/map.pdf
Eglinton-Crosstown LRT - http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/eglinton_crosstown_lrt/pdf/map.pdf
Scarborough LRT - http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/scarborough_rapid_transit/pdf/map.pdf

And yes, the stops are too damn close together!

Saw the map and timetable and have just one question.......................how in hell could it possibly take 5 years to replace a tiny 6 km STC to LRT and a dmall extension?

Saw the map and timetable and have just one question.......................how in hell could it possibly take 5 years to replace a tiny 6 km STC to LRT and a dmall extension?

LOL the way govt. operates and contracts their work never stops amazing me. If we both grabbed shovels and did it by hand starting today we would have it done in 5 years.

Back