News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As continued from Part I...

Perhaps surprising to some, but the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex houses an incredible amount of cultural facilities This was my first of the trip. The Dallas Museum of Art.
DSCN5865.jpg

James Pratt and Partners were the Managing Architects for the extensions built between 1978 and 1984.
The installation in front is called "Ave" and is a painted steel piece by Mark DiSuevero - famous for designing pieces that move and sway.

DSCN5866.jpg

Photography was not allowed in the museum, but I managed to sneak a photo of this Zaha Hadid bench in the building's courtyard.
DSCN5867.jpg

I also snuck a picture of this too. I thought it might be a Richard Serra, but couldn't find a plaque to denote who it was exactly.
DSCN5868.jpg

My only picture from inside the DFA.
DSCN5869.jpg

Then it was a quick trip across the street to the Nasher Sculpture Center.
DSCN5871.jpg

NSC (cont.)
DSCN5872.jpg

Jonathan Borofsky's "Walking to the Sky" (2004)...
DSCN5872A.jpg

DSCN5873.jpg

DSCN5874.jpg

DSCN5874C.jpg

DSCN5874D.jpg

Tony Smith's "Ten Elements" (1980)
DSCN5875.jpg

George Segals' "Rush Hour" (1983)
DSCN5876.jpg

Auguste Rodin's "Eve" (1881)
DSCN5877.jpg

Barbara Hepworth's "Squares with Two Circles" (1964)
DSCN5878.jpg

Joel Shapiro's (untitled - 1999)
DSCN5879.jpg

Another Mark di Suevero. This one is called "Steel" and is from 2001.
DSCN5882.jpg

Magdalena Abakanowicz's "Bronze Crowd" (1991)
DSCN5883.jpg

Richard Serra's "My Curves Are Not Mad" (1987)...
DSCN5884.jpg

DSCN5885.jpg

DSCN5887.jpg

Joan Miro's "Caress of a Bird" (1967)
DSCN5889.jpg

The Nasher Sculpture Center's Garden is honestly one of the nicest outdoor spaces I've ever set foot in. It's honestly up there with MoMA's courtyard.
DSCN5890.jpg

James Turrell's "Tending" (2003)
You actually go through a little door and enter a room at one side of the Gardens to see this installation. It took me a moment to realize why the ceiling was so vividly blue until I realized I was looking at the open sky!

DSCN5891.jpg

One of many Henry Moore's I'd encounter on this trip. This is "Working Model" (1968)
DSCN5892.jpg

A digital zoom of the new Pegasus sitting atop the Magnolia Building.
DSCN5896.jpg

I.M. Pei's "Fountain Place."
DSCN5897.jpg

Despite looking like a relatively dense CBD from a distance, it's actually a bit deecptive. Most buildings are fairly spread-out and surface parking abounds.
DSCN5898.jpg

I then headed to what the tourist maps called the "West End Historic District." I asked in a Starbuck's about a five minute walk away which direction I should be walking and the employees all shrugged at me and said they'd never heard of such a district. Anyway, I trusted my senses and continued along and eventually found it.
Here's some typical housing vernacular for the area.

DSCN5903.jpg

This historic district is pretty much the only area downtown that has any significant residential usage. From wiki...As Downtown Dallas's skyline was changing and the history was being demolished. Local developer Preston Carter Jr. revitalized the West End Historic District to preserve the history of an important area in June 1976. Old warehouses and other brick buildings were converted to restaurants and shops. The West End is one of the better urban areas in Dallas thanks to the set-up of the historic district.
DSCN5904.jpg

It's also not without generous amounts of surface parking. Also interesting to note in this picture is that almost all of Dallas' "condo boom" took place not downtown, but a little north in an area that is generally referred to as Uptown.
DSCN5906.jpg

West End Historic District (cont.)
DSCN5907.jpg

The area seems to be in a bit of a decline despite the heritage preservation. Despite some nice urban-like streets, the area was very dead and this West End Marketplace closed its doors in 2006 and now sits abandoned (although I got a kick out of the never-changed early 90s font).
DSCN5908.jpg

The closed West End Marketplace.
DSCN5911.jpg

The closed West End Marketplace (cont.)
DSCN5913.jpg

The area still houses a fair amount of restaurants, but many seemed geared to the convention crowd and not where most Dallasites would eat. Still, I took a chance on a seafood meal at Landry's and it was fine and not quite highway robbery.
DSCN5914.jpg

Just north of the West End Marketplace is the Woodall Rodgers Freeway (sort of their version of the Gardiner Expressway, but much larger). They've done an o.k. job though of reclaiming some of the space under the freeway.
DSCN5914A.jpg

Dallas founder John Neely Bryan's log cabin sits at Founder's Plaza and is considered the oldest structure in Dallas.
DSCN5915.jpg

On the south-east side of downtown (near the Convention Center) is the Pioneer Plaza Cattle Drive. Robert Temple Summers II was commissioned in 1992 to sculpt three cowboys on horseback and 70 longhorn steers - each 130 percent of life-size. The installation covers four acres in downtown Dallas and is simply awesome.
DSCN5917.jpg

Pioneer Plaza Cattle Drive (cont.)...
DSCN5918.jpg

DSCN5919.jpg

DSCN5921.jpg

DSCN5922.jpg

To be continued in Part III.

Last edited:
Great photo tour. Thanks for sharing.

As you noted, pedestrian traffic is pretty minimal. I've noted that in other U.S. cities in the south. The north is somewhat different. One has to wonder if seasons make people more open to being outside more often.

You should have titled this "Darkstar Does Dallas" or make Part I "Who shot JR?" and part II "Kristin Shepard", or something like that.

Looks like you had a hell of a time. Although Dallas is admittedly not high on my list of cities to visit, they have been very successful at infilling and there are two neighbourhoods I'd like to see: the Highland Park area just to the north of downtown and Deep Ellum, the artsy warehousey district to the east.

...and Part III "Who Shot Bobby" and Part IV "Katherine Wentworth," etc. Haha.

Highland Park is quite nice. Sort of like Forest Hill, but the houses are bigger and even more spread apart. There's nothing to do there, but it's interesting to drive around.

Deep Ellum I regret not exploring further, but the hosts I was staying with and the tourist guides all suggested not to go there at night as it has recently become a centrepoint in Dallas' gang violence. Still, I took a quick drive-through by day and noticed a few bars, music clubs and even a tinge of counter-culture that is pretty much non-existent anywhere else in the city.

Did you get a chance to head down to the American Airlines Arena? There's an interesting public plaza in front of it with some on-street televisions studios with the new W hotel across the street. Reminded me of how Maple Leaf Square should turn out.

More good Dallas pics-Part 2...

DK416: Continuing the tour-lots of interesting artwork and I also like that open space under that freeway-a place to seek out on a hot Dallas day. LI MIKE

Did you get a chance to head down to the American Airlines Arena? There's an interesting public plaza in front of it with some on-street televisions studios with the new W hotel across the street. Reminded me of how Maple Leaf Square should turn out.
Only from a distance, but I have seen shots of it in various travel magazines. A small regret on my part.

Back