News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As continued from Part II...

One of my favourite buildings in Dallas is their city hall. Also designed by I.M. Pei and completed in 1978. Like many of his buildings, Dallas City Hall is very angular and is designed like an inverted triangular prism. It's probably also one of the few I.M. Pei buildings that has a tinge of brutalism to it as well.
DSCN5925.jpg

Dallas City Hall (cont.)...
DSCN5926.jpg

DSCN5927.jpg

DSCN5928.jpg

DSCN5931.jpg

DSCN5929.jpg

DSCN5934.jpg

Dallas has its own version of Toronto's "The Archer." Indeed, a Henry Moore also graces the plaza in front of their city hall. It is simply called "The Dallas Piece" and was installed in 1978. By the way, I have no idea why it was fenced off, but considering I was the only person in the square, it's not exactly well used. Perhaps it was vandalized before?
DSCN5930.jpg

For "Dallas" fans, these three flag poles at City Hall / "Municipal Plaza" are where Jock Ewing waited to pay John Ross' kidnappers their ransom money in one of Dallas' earlier seasons.
DSCN5932.jpg

Flags at Municipal Plaza (cont.)
DSCN5935.jpg

Across from Municipal Plaza is the Dallas Police Memorial.
DSCN5936.jpg

In one very small pocket of downtown Dallas you can get a very slight New York City feel until you look around and see nobody anywhere.
DSCN5937.jpg

When completed in 1921 the Magnolia Building was America's 16th tallest. It is most famous for "Pegasus" which sits atop the building and watches over Dallas.
DSCN5938.jpg

Another New York moment, minus the people.
DSCN5940.jpg

The Republic Center complex was built in the mid-1950s and the building on the left was the tallest in Dallas from 1954 to 1959 and tallest west of the Mississippi River (when including its spire). A recent proposal is to convert the building into residential uses, which would be a first for this part of downtown Dallas.
DSCN5941.jpg

Thanks-Giving Square is another Phillip Johnson-designed open area and park that was completed in 1976 with the theme of "giving thanks as a universal, human value."
DSCN5941A.jpg

For "Dallas" fans, Thanks-Giving Square is also where Bobby & Pam broke-up for the first time circa 1983. Yes, I'm nuts.
DSCN5945.jpg

While Thank-Giving Square is generally nice, the religious overtones are a little creepy...
DSCN5946.jpg

Thanks-Giving Square Chapel.
DSCN5946A.jpg

Thanks-Giving Square (cont.)
DSCN5947.jpg

I couldn't figure out who did this, but I quite liked it.
DSCN5950.jpg

What happens when two Dallas +15s get married? This does...
DSCN5951.jpg

It was then off to the Fair Park which is just south of downtown Dallas. It is most famous for housing the annual (and enormous) Texas State Fair. However, back in 1936, Dallas also hosted a world's fair celebrating the centennial of Texas' independence from Mexico on this site and they did it as big as their Texas-sized egos would let them. It is from this world's fair that terms like "The Big D" and "...everything's bigger in Texas" come from. Today, the grounds are fairly quiet most of the year (much like Toronto's own Exhibition Place), but feature some interesting buildings and museums. It also has that eerie, but cool, abandoned carnival feel.
DSCN5954.jpg

Fair Park (cont.)
DSCN5955.jpg

Shouldn't this be a shopping mall's logo?
DSCN5957.jpg

Fair Park's The Esplanade Building (1936).
DSCN5958.jpg

Fair Park (cont.)
DSCN5959.jpg

The Tower Building at Fair Park (1936).
DSCN5960.jpg

Fair Park (cont.)
DSCN5962.jpg

Fair Park's Leonhardt Lagoon and the famous "earth sculpture" (that can be walked on!)
DSCN5963.jpg

Fair Park's Leonhardt Lagoon (cont.)
DSCN5964.jpg

Fair Park is also home to Dallas' famed Cotton Bowl Stadium (1930).
DSCN5965.jpg

The Leonhardt Lagoon and the earth structure at State Park (cont.)
DSCN5966.jpg

The "Texas Star" Ferris wheel at State Park.
DSCN5968.jpg

The Midway at State Park.
DSCN5969.jpg

Cotton Bowl (cont.)
DSCN5970.jpg

State Park also houses many of Dallas' boutique museums including the Age of Steam Railyway Museum.
DSCN5971.jpg

The museum had already closed for the day, but it didn't stop me from getting a few shots.
DSCN5972.jpg

Age of Steam Railway Museum (cont.)
DSCN5973.jpg

Day #3 - Again I parked downtown, but decided to walk all the way to Uptown (and beyond). This is on the St. Paul overpass over the Woodall Rodgers Freeway which sort of divides downtown from the start of Uptown.
DSCN5978.jpg

The Ritz-Carlton Dallas. Not very impressive to be honest.
DSCN5979.jpg

Condos, Dallas style! Not sure where the French Chateau motif comes in...or why?
DSCN5980.jpg

Dallas condos (cont.)
DSCN5981.jpg

Even the sidewalks in Texas have stars! (...well some of them at least)
DSCN5982.jpg

Uptown (and Oak Lawn) are just north of downtown and are considered one of the "in" places to live. This is where much of Dallas' condo boom occurred over the last 10 years.
DSCN5983.jpg

A few pockets of residential development have a European-scale to them, but again, where's the people?
DSCN5984.jpg

Uptown (cont.)
DSCN5986.jpg

More Uptown condos.
DSCN5989.jpg

This is the West Village "lifestyle" shopping complex which seems to cater mostly to Dallas' moneyed shoppers. I got a kick out of this Art Deco (circa 2005) theatre.
DSCN5990.jpg

Uptown (cont.)
DSCN5991.jpg

The West Village shopping area.
DSCN5992.jpg

I've never seen newspaper boxes and info/advertising pillars/posts combined before, so I figured it deserved a picture.
DSCN5993.jpg

Continued in Part IV.

Last edited:
Okay, okay, so maybe pedestrians are scarce in the big D and a black Escalade is still the status symbol of choice, and you have to check your guns at the library but, lo and behold, look at this!

DSCN5992.jpg

They've built a neighbourhood from scratch and it doesn't just contain dry cleaners and a Rabba for street retail! It actually looks like it's a treat to visit! It looks like it's been there for ever and that, maybe, we haven't forgotten how to build urban neighbourhoods and that you have to go to the Sunbelt to study how to do them properly!

Have to agree there hipster. I was able to visit this area back in February and it was packed with people. It's a great example of how we can build dense human scale neighbourhoods without stale condo towers. Located in each block was a multilevel carpark.

Give me a bunch of podiums like this with a nice modern glassy tower on top and I'd be happy.

Good Dallas pics-part 3...

DK416: Good Dallas pics in part three! In an sprawling area like the DFW Metroplex where the automobile and sprawl are king central cities like Dallas have a Southern character all their own. Because of the auto domination people walking around in the city centers is less noticeable then in cities we know and love like Toronto and NYC. Thoughts from LI MIKE

They've built a neighbourhood from scratch and it doesn't just contain dry cleaners and a Rabba for street retail! It actually looks like it's a treat to visit! It looks like it's been there for ever and that, maybe, we haven't forgotten how to build urban neighbourhoods and that you have to go to the Sunbelt to study how to do them properly!
Good point. It was hard for me to get past the gimmicky architecture of yore as each block was done in a different style, but indeed, there was some decent retail, noticeable pedestrian traffic and all done in a way that both accommodated a sense of place, but was also friendly to the automobile. Perhaps this is the best that can be hoped for in the South?

Elements of Dallas City Hall remind me of a simplified Manulife Centre (on Bloor) and Boston City Hall rolled into one. Is it clad in concrete, or some sort of nicer stone? It looks very clean!

DSCN5931.jpg

Back