News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Continued from Part VI...

I then headed over to the Cowtown Coliseum to see my first rodeo since one I attended at the 1988 Calgary Stampede.
DSCN6300.jpg

I must admit, I found the whole thing a bit disturbing and pondered vegetarianism for the hour I spent there...but the Tex Mex place across the street called my name and it was back to blindly eating meat while trying not to think of the process involved.
DSCN6308.jpg

Stockywards (cont.)
DSCN6311.jpg

I didn't get to see much of downtown Fort Worth, but did a quick drive around that evening. One of the few features I noticed was that you could literally drive through a few of the hotels!
DSCN6312.jpg

Day #6 - This was my final day in Dallas and I decided to use it as my shopping day. First though, here's some pics taken from the Texas-sized Highway 75 (also known as the "Central Expressway").
DSCN6317.jpg

Central Expressway (cont.)
DSCN6318.jpg

This was a recently closed Macy's store north of Dallas. The slowing economy was quite obvious.
DSCN6328.jpg

In the same nabe is "The Galleria Dallas" which is an upscale shopping mall and mixed-use development. It was developed by long time owner Hines Interests in 1982. The mall is modeled after a similar Hines development, the Houston Galleria, which opened in 1970. Both Galleria malls have an ice skating rink and a glass vaulted ceiling that is modelled after the historic Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan, Italy.
DSCN6328A.jpg

Today there are over 200 stores and restaurants including an ice rink and The Westin Galleria Hotel.
DSCN6330.jpg

I'm not big on malls, but it's really quite hard not to like this one. It seems to have gone that extra mile and has taken good design to the 'burbs.
DSCN6331.jpg

The skating rink was closed as they were preparing the Christmas tree. This skating rink was actually featured in a scene in "Dallas" in one of the later seasons.
DSCN6333.jpg

Despite the mall's size and grandeur it was also pretty deserted for 2:00pm on a Monday afternoon six weeks before Christmas. America's slowing economy was quite obvious, but probably made for a more pleasurable shopping experience pour moi.
DSCN6334.jpg

Galleria Dallas (cont.)...
DSCN6335.jpg

DSCN6338.jpg

DSCN6339.jpg

DSCN6340.jpg

And this is my final picture of the trip...It is taken from the departures lounge at DFW International Airport. The airport has a multimillion dollar Public Art Program. More than 30 local, national and international artists were selected to design the works that are featured throughout the terminal and Skylink stations.
DSCN6343.jpg

And that's a wrap folks! Honest!

Last edited:
Again more good Fort Worth area pics...

DK416: Again more good pics: That "Galleria Dallas" Mall reminds me for some reason of a much-quieter version of the Eaton Centre in Toronto.
Thanks for the good Metroplex tour! Long Island Mike

Last edited:

Back