News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Allabootmatt, you got exactly what I was getting at. Of course there are extreme lefties out there whoh get angry, but more often than not left-wingers express resignation when faced with right-wing governments. Look at newspaper message boards or radio call in shows. They're absoutely overwhelmed by angry right wing partisans. Sure, a left-winger sneaks in from time to time, often in imitation of their right-wing counterparts, but they're in the obvious minority.

P.S. the latest Conservative attack ads try to attack Ignatieff for being "Cosmopolitan." Assuming they're not using it as an anti-semitic slur, what the hell is wrong with being cosmopolitan?

P.S. the latest Conservative attack ads try to attack Ignatieff for being "Cosmopolitan." Assuming they're not using it as an anti-semitic slur, what the hell is wrong with being cosmopolitan?

Next they're going to attack him for believing in science. I have no clue what these attack ads are meant to do, apart from help them hold on to their safe seats in Alberta, Interior BC and deep rural near-north Ontario.

Yeah...the notion that Iggy's academic credentials, intellect, and international experience are bad things is straight out of the Karl Rove playbook--and, I think, unlikely to work in a country where the Deliverance vote is pretty small. They also draw unfavourable implied comparisons to Harper. The idea that he's the competent manager and Iggy the flaky celebrity is sort of undermined by the fact that the flaky celebrity in the comparison has a PhD from Harvard. (And has not been presenting himself as an "economist" despite having only an MA).

If I were in the Tory war room, I wouldn't be rushing to remind Canadians of that.

Miller and his supporters on council are ideologues. The TTC does research that shows streetcars are unfeasible. As a result we get Transit City and this poorly thought out mega project. We get a water front that, mainly due to the tax climate, is dominated by condominiums. The only non residential around is ground floor retail, which was forced on developers. We get green roofs on subway stations that are open to the elements, purchases of real estate for rates far above market prices. The saving of land for film industry jobs, where the city had to become a shareholder in a film studio.

This is not good governance.

Did the TTC publish that (streetcars being unfeasible) in a report?

Last edited:
?

I haven't seen that one. The ones I saw (TV and online) attack him for not living in Canada for 34 years and for calling the US his country. "Just visiting."

BTW, one of the ads ironically attacks him for putting out attack ads. :)

Last edited:
Glen:

You should note the context, as per analysis by James Bow:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4015.shtml

The study is grounded on the premise of using surplus vehicles, with limited new investments adding to pre-existing infrastructure.

AoD

I am aware of the context. If it is difficult to justify while using the 55 surplus CLRVs and 14 ALRVs, it is even more difficult to do so when having to purchase new ones.

One problem with James's review is that he lets this go unchallenged.....

The TTC believes that streetcars generate more passenger traffic than would otherwise be generated had those routes been served by buses. Although few studies have been made, the TTC's own ridership figures for the HARBOURFRONT and SPADINA routes indicate a significant increase in passenger traffic once streetcars were put in

That comparison did not look at peak Spadina 77 numbers, only pre construction. While I don't dispute that streetcars are more compelling, I think that the impact is very much oversold.

This is a really good post - thanks for chiming in.

A question, though, do you think there's anyone currently on City Council who could be described as an 'urban rightist'?

I don't follow city politics close enough to really know, I only look into candidate's profiles around election time. In the last election, Jane Pitfield was our right wing candidate, and she did campaign for 2 km of new subway every year.

?

I haven't seen that one. The ones I saw (TV and online) attack him for not living in Canada for 34 years and for calling the US his country. "Just visiting."

BTW, one of the ads ironically attacks him for putting out attack ads. :)

Several of the online ads focus on him apparently saying at some point that he is cosmopolitan.

Several of the online ads focus on him apparently saying at some point that he is cosmopolitan.
What does he say exactly? I've seen a few of the ads, and in none does he say "I'm cosmopolitan". Some Ignatieff supporters would write off the criticisms of his varied countries of residence as Harper criticizing Ignatieff as being cosmopolitan, but then that would be PR spin too then.

However, I may have just missed the ad in question.

What does he say exactly? I've seen a few of the ads, and in none does he say "I'm cosmopolitan". Some Ignatieff supporters would write off the criticisms of his varied countries of residence as Harper criticizing Ignatieff as being cosmopolitan, but then that would be PR spin too then.

However, I may have just missed the ad in question.

"If anyone has a claim to being cosmopolitan it must be me" is the quote they're using to criticize him, somehow.

http://ignatieff.me/?p=ignatieff#

The Liberals really should fire back with quotes from Harper's "Canada is a Northern European Welfare State in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it" speech. It's far more damning than anything Ignatieff has ever said.

not sure if this is yet more evidence of derangement, but it is definitely evidence of the city's general cluelessness......why, on the May long weekend, when the downtown area is full of tourists, and summer is unofficially underway, would the fountains at Nathan Phillips Square be off????? I know it is seasonal, but surely this long weekend would have been an appropriate time to re-activate the fountains, and install the greenery that goes with them...

The square looked pretty tired this afternoon, quite a bit of garbage blowing about, absolutely disgraceful imo....on the holiday monday of the May long weekend.....does nobody at City Hall care about the image we present to visitors?...

Back