News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No no, ITcomputer is right.

We should stick our head in the sand, not participate on the world stage, just become a forgotten, parsimonious, provincial backwater.

That's what you want, right IT?

I'm not usually one to ad hominize these things so quickly, but this post is such a piece of shit I can't help myself. Is it too much to ask for little bit of commentary on why you think this is a waste of money? Please, tell us why $140k spent on climate change is "wasteful"?

For example, I could give you my thoughts on a number of things that I think are wasteful. I could construct an argument about the nonutility of spending $11.4 BILLION for the privilege of getting a few hundred Canadian kids killed for no discernable purpose. But this thread doesn't deserve that kind of effort.

I could write 5,000 words about the fact that Rob Ford appears to waste 10,000 calories per day maintaining basic automatonic bodily functions and all we get out of him are huffing, puffing and grunting (and the occasional smash-the-wife-in-the-face). But that's 4,996 more words than you were willing to give us about Miller's so-called "waste", and I just don't see that as a fair trade.

Nope. No such thoughtful commentary from you. Your post reeks of shill. The steady stream of stupidity from local right wing rags only reminds us of Toronto's shameful, ignorant, headless municipal political opposition.

Miller bad. Me no like Miller. Moo. Woof. Quack.

Go have a bath with Royson James and Denzil Minnan-Wong. The three of you can play rubber ducky and giggle when you fart in the tub.

140K? That's the cost of one full time person (esp. in London).

This is how you critique an 8 billion dollar budget covering the salaries of tens of thousands of people? What's next? Wait, I already know - we'll hear about lavish office parties costing literally HUNDREDS of dollars!

The right wing in this city is pathetic. They are unable to produce a critique of city spending that is anything more than sensationalizing what amount to rounding errors.

We really need an opposition with a brain.

And we need term limits for councillors so that we can get rid of useless lifers like Minnan-Wong.

And we need term limits for councillors so that we can get rid of useless lifers like Minnan-Wong.

And we can also get rid of useless councillors such as Adam Vaughan, Mr. Moscoe, Joe Mihevic and the list goes on..

Also, we need a city government and a mayor with a brain!

There is some merit in questioning this expense, as there is in all expenses.

First off the question is should the city be involved in this issue in the first place? It can be argued that this issue is a better fit for Provincial and Federal governments. That is not to say that they city cannot do things to address global warming. The issue is what does this 'investment' do over and above what can be done via phone and Internet. Mayors of these forty cities flying around the world to meet and discuss what cities can do to combat climate change seems a little bit hypocritical. The cynic in me says that this a for political PR.

The sad thing is, if this was highlighted on the news the anti-Miller camp would lap it up.

I'm not usually one to ad hominize these things so quickly, but this post is such a piece of shit I can't help myself. Is it too much to ask for little bit of commentary on why you think this is a waste of money? Please, tell us why $140k spent on climate change is "wasteful"?

For example, I could give you my thoughts on a number of things that I think are wasteful. I could construct an argument about the nonutility of spending $11.4 BILLION for the privilege of getting a few hundred Canadian kids killed for no discernable purpose. But this thread doesn't deserve that kind of effort.

I could write 5,000 words about the fact that Rob Ford appears to waste 10,000 calories per day maintaining basic automatonic bodily functions and all we get out of him are huffing, puffing and grunting (and the occasional smash-the-wife-in-the-face). But that's 4,996 more words than you were willing to give us about Miller's so-called "waste", and I just don't see that as a fair trade.

Nope. No such thoughtful commentary from you. Your post reeks of shill. The steady stream of stupidity from local right wing rags only reminds us of Toronto's shameful, ignorant, headless municipal political opposition.

Go have a bath with Royson James and Denzil Minnan-Wong. The three of you can play rubber ducky and giggle when you fart in the tub.

I fully agree. By the way, that was the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum!

Much like al the other replies on this thread, I do not think this is a waste of money. In terms of fighting climate change... some people will tell you that cities is where the climate change battle will really be fought, and that cities are the leaders in reducing climate change, and not necessarily states or federal governments.

I for one, and you can say all the negative crap about Miller that you want, am proud that Toronto is on the leading edge of environmentalism across the globe.

Wow....you have to attack Rob Ford's weight, yet not his penny pinching ways. By the way, other then him and the Sun, no one is mentioning the cases of fraud brought to light in city hall last week. Thanks to their persistant effort the Police are now investigating the matter

140K? That's the cost of one full time person (esp. in London).

This is how you critique an 8 billion dollar budget covering the salaries of tens of thousands of people? What's next? Wait, I already know - we'll hear about lavish office parties costing literally HUNDREDS of dollars!

The right wing in this city is pathetic. They are unable to produce a critique of city spending that is anything more than sensationalizing what amount to rounding errors.

Every penny counts. Thats how I saved enough money to life my current lifestyle, while others still live in their mother's basements. And the current budget is only so large because under MIller expenditure has balloned up and up every year to the point where even the Canadian Taxpayer's Association practically camps out in front of City Hall.

Lifers, are cronic spenders like Mosoce, Mammolloti, Perks, who plow through their office budgets by October. Some of these guys take cabs for mere blocks, yet they get both free Metropasses and parking!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Climate change is a matter best left to the higher level of governments. This Mayor should focus on making life more sustainable and atainable for the millions of people in this city.
Agreed 100%. When every pot hole is fixed, sewers and infrastructure is working well, shelters and public housing is cleaned up, public transit is improved and affordable, police, fire and emergency response fully working, etc., etc.... then we can talk about global warming groups.

This probably is a waste of money in that, if it costs 140k, we wont see a proportionate benefit to the climate. Still though, it is a rounding error. I get annoyed that fiscal conservatism in this city adds up to finding the most trivial spending project, and using the project's triviality to discredit the entire government. I remember a year or two ago there was a hubub about a councilor buying some kind of costume with her (his?) office budget. It's probably not the best use of City money, but then Rob Ford types just went on a tirade about it, as if 10% of the City Budget is dedicated to buying chicken costumes or something.

Why does no one complain about how the Police budget seems to grow at 3x inflation every year, or why is the TTC planning on running an LRT along a marginal street like Jane or is spending a half billion, give or take, on the upcoming Steeles Station. There are tons of areas where anybody with half a brain could see this city's spending priorities are out of whack, but just picking the most mundane of programs is inane.

Back