News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Technically, it should be spelled "colour" if you're in Canada. That's part of our culture. It is justifiable to correct any Canadian who spells it otherwise.

^^ You're absolutely right neighbour, colour, along with a few other words has a u in it. You've done this thread a favour by pointing this out and your valour should be commended. Cheers!

Canadian Spelling 101:

1.) Use the British spelling if there's a rule or pattern that can be enforced against unpatriotic (i.e. not America-hating) Canadians.

e.g. "colour" not "color"
e.g. "centre" not "center"
e.g. "catalogue" not "catalog"

(most of which are spellings designed for pronunciation in French instead of having any actual purpose in English)

2.) Use the American spelling if there is no rule.

e.g. "tire" not "tyre"
"curb" not "kerb"
"jail" not "gaol"

It's not just spelling that has deteriorated. There's been a dumbing down of the language just as predicted in George Orwell's famous book, 1984.

'Cinema' and 'theatre' are different words for a reason, but some uneducated cinema owners decided to use the phrase 'movie theatre' to describe their facilities. It was either because they were ignorant or pretentious, but now we're stuck with it. To make matters worse, 'movie theatre' became 'theatre'.

It's become so common that the general public don't recognize the improper use of the word any more. A theatre is a place where live performance takes place. When someone says they are going to the theatre, it suggests that they are attending a play or something of that nature.

Cinema is the correct word, but increasingly, even 'educated' people seem to be using 'theatre' and 'cinema' interchangeably.

Last edited:
I always say movie theatre for cinema and theatre for theatre.

Canadian Spelling 101:

1.) Use the British spelling if there's a rule or pattern that can be enforced against unpatriotic (i.e. not America-hating) Canadians.

LMFAO!!!!

On a side note, I always say movie theatre (hey there's another one >> Americans spell it "Theater"), well, now that I think about it, I always say "Let's go to the movies", or "I'm at the movies".

Back