News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I know BRT is a dirty acronym for some but been thinking that 137th Ave is such a gigantic corridor it really would be a great cross town connector. Could connect from Clareview transit center right up to St. Albert's Naki transit center, hitting 97th street transit hub, the north LRT central stop along the way. Lots of space along the ROW with the service roads to shift the roadway or take up a set of lanes. Criminally underdeveloped sections along the road and dead or dying malls and big box strip malls that are rapidly reaching end of life and in need of a redevelopment plan. Loads of gigantic 1950s era lots in every direction. A cheaper option to elevate the area and fuel the new and existing lines would be a winner i think.

Last edited:
The whole idea of an alternative route out of Fort Mac is to avoid the Hwy 63 route going south - a ring road would be defeating the purpose.
A highway west to Peerless Lake is desirable. Is it doable construction-wise?
Oh yea it's doable, there's already a pretty much fully cleared ROW for the NOVA gas pipeline that runs from Ft Mac to Wabasca, so it's certainly possible to cut through the bush and muskegg.

But regardless it's a ~250 km route on a dead shot from Fort Mac to Red Earth, so the cost to run a 2 lane road with enough compaction and thick enough asphalt to handle all the overweight oilfield traffic would be astronomical.

The west route is on Alberta's plan. I looked at the infrastructure Planning and it calls for the road to be built. There would be a couple of roads south off it since it would bisect roads into recourse area roads

I know BRT is a dirty acronym for some but been thinking that 137th Ave is such a gigantic corridor it really would be a great cross town connector. Could connect from Clareview transit center right up to St. Albert's Naki transit center, hitting 97th street transit hub, the north LRT central stop along the way. Lots of space along the ROW with the service roads to shift the roadway or take up a set of lanes. Criminally underdeveloped sections along the road and dead or dying malls and big box strip malls that are rapidly reaching end of life and in need of a redevelopment plan. Loads of gigantic 1950s era lots in every direction. A cheaper option to elevate the area and fuel the new and existing lines would be a winner i think.
I honestly wouldn't mind that. Turn 137 into a BRT line running in the centre that could turn into a tramway in 20 years is a good idea tbh.

There's going to be a point in the near future where we're going to have to start considering crosstown LRT/tram routes and transitioning them to BRT first is a nice little start.

BRT is desperately needed on 137 Avenue. However the corridor doesn't have the space to fit everyone to be the needed complete corridor. In order to preserve trees and sidewalks, and give buses priority, car lanes will absolutely need conversion to bus lanes.

Oh yea it's doable, there's already a pretty much fully cleared ROW for the NOVA gas pipeline that runs from Ft Mac to Wabasca, so it's certainly possible to cut through the bush and muskegg.

But regardless it's a ~250 km route on a dead shot from Fort Mac to Red Earth, so the cost to run a 2 lane road with enough compaction and thick enough asphalt to handle all the overweight oilfield traffic would be astronomical.

It's my understanding that Hwy 686 from Red Earth to Peerless Lake is a 90 km long stretch that is being upgraded (or is about to be upgraded) by the First Nations bands. It makes sense to extend Hwy 686 by 150 km from Peerless Lake to Fort Mac. Moreover, I'm very hopeful that the various First Nations bands can chip in on that extension so that the cost won't be so astronomical to the provincial government.

It's my understanding that Hwy 686 from Red Earth to Peerless Lake is a 90 km long stretch that is being upgraded (or is about to be upgraded) by the First Nations bands. It makes sense to extend Hwy 686 by 150 km from Peerless Lake to Fort Mac. Moreover, I'm very hopeful that the various First Nations bands can chip in on that extension so that the cost won't be so astronomical to the provincial government.
2024 Provincial Construction Program has the section from Peerless Lake to Ft Mach in Design /engineering this year. Look at it, the people in Chippewan Lake that commute to Ft Mack would have a close drive. Would also open a lot more back country to tourism. (Only resource roads up there now).

2024 Provincial Construction Program has the section from Peerless Lake to Ft Mach in Design /engineering this year. Look at it, the people in Chippewan Lake that commute to Ft Mack would have a close drive. Would also open a lot more back country to tourism. (Only resource roads up there now).

1715886971769.png

Yup was checking it out to see if the twinning to the Jasper Park gates was on the radar. Nope. But adding more lanes to 16 west to 779 is in planning.
It's been a while since I went west, how far away from the gates are they? I remember the early 80's back before it was twinned... eek!!!

Back