News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So much alucabond and a real shame compared to what was there before.

I dunno, seems like a definite improvement over what was there before? Even has essentially the same square pattern, just some accents added. In a perfect world it would be torn down anyway. ;)

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.53.39 AM.png

Screenshot from: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.5324...4!1sYZxxkv2FyrQL4Op9DurJpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

From this past Tuesday. Creekside condo's a block South of Whyte, renovations continue. These were built around 1990 on the old Gainers site.
About 10 years ago they had nasty water problems with the building's envelope and repaired. Now 20+ million again (I was told by a passerby, so not sure). Definitely a vast improvement over the "leaky" stucco. A great update I think, pricey.
2021-03-02 001.JPG2021-03-02 002.JPG2021-03-02 007.JPG2021-03-02 010.JPG2021-03-02 018.JPG2021-03-02 020.JPG2021-03-02 032.JPG

Update on the Stovel Block:

"Stovel Block was built in 1912 and will be repurposed to house close to 30 women in the Edmonton area as they transition into long-term housing.

[...]

Gather Co. saved the building from demolition and signed a lease with Boyle Street Community Services to bring this housing initiative to the community."

Update on the Stovel Block:

"Stovel Block was built in 1912 and will be repurposed to house close to 30 women in the Edmonton area as they transition into long-term housing.

[...]

Gather Co. saved the building from demolition and signed a lease with Boyle Street Community Services to bring this housing initiative to the community."

It is a win-win!
We need more projects like this, especially in that same area.

Help! I had a recent discussion with one of the Mayoral candidates who was interested in the 76th Ave. arterial road concept -- I have forgotten which thread I had written the concept under -- can anybody lead me to it?

I found it under the gondola thread @archited.
I dug back a little more to find a few more of your posts concerning the 76 Ave arterial concept. I think the 76 Ave Arterial Road concept could have its own thread, we've had a few good discussions about it.

Let's help the imagination along a little bit here vis-a-vis 76th Avenue as a thoroughfare
1. Granite pathways (alternating colors based on rock composition). I have done the "small-scale" experiment with granite (and some iron filings stirred into the mix) placed in a square box and stuck in the bottom shelf of my freezer with two poles of a lab battery (high voltage -- very low amperage) connected to opposite ends of the box. I placed ice shavings on the surface of the granite and left it overnight -- by morning, the ice was gone. Small scale experiment worked. Now I want to convince one of my Edmonton contacts to try it on a larger outdoor scale -- say a 2 metre by 2 metre surface. If that works then VOILA we will have a new snow removal medium for walkways, driveways, street surfaces, etc. The first images below show how a granite walkway placed in an allee of trees with low-level buffer plantings (bordering both private property on one side and auto street traffic on the other side make for a great separation between private property and an adjacent roadway. Single species groupings of trees (varying from block to block) could include tamarack (beautiful golden fall colors), mountain ash (beautiful orange/red berries), aspen-poplar (common Alberta deciduous tree) and Red Maple (deep red fall colors). We should pick deciduous trees for the north side walkway so that when the leaves fall the warming sun can shine through. All images from my shared pinterest account.
View attachment 300060 View attachment 300061 View attachment 300062
2. Granite Bike Lanes (again, alternating granite colors with iconic images done in contrasting natural colors). On this side of the street (south side) I would select evergreen trees that would help with wind amelioration -- Colorado spruce, Lodgepole Pine, Scots Pine and White Spruce. These trees would be pruned up from the base about 6-feet.
View attachment 300063 View attachment 300064 View attachment 300065 View attachment 300066
3.The auto traffic portion of the Avenue would also be granite based with special detailing (3-d painted image that makes the crosswalk stand out in bolder fashion, a contrasting (stone) center median to keep autos directionaly in their own lane
View attachment 300067 View attachment 300068
4. Some concepts taken from Douglas Cardinal's website (with permission) as a hint in imagining what a Design School could look like on the CP land south of a connected 76th Avenue.
View attachment 300069 View attachment 300070 View attachment 300071 View attachment 300072 View attachment 300073
5. And North of 76th Avenue on CP land we could recreate the Standard Alberta Rail Station as a location for the ERR station at 76th Avenue and we could rebuild the roundhouse as a functioning barn for ERRS as well as a railroad/streetcar museum.
View attachment 300075

The east-west leg of LRT, I would suggest, should begin at 76th Ave. and 114th Street at the McKernan Belgravia station (existing) and run straight eastward along 76th Ave., bisecting the undeveloped CPR lands (both the LRT and the Streetcar system would greatly enhance the viability of the CPR lands and help expedite their development), and continuing straight east all the way to Sherwood Park where ridership aplenty waits to be tapped. Certainly this line would be simpler to build and far more efficient than running through Old Strathcona from who-knows-where at U of A .
If the LRT line uses the high level bridge as a river crossing, huge upgrades would be required to the bridge and you could also wave bye-bye to the existing ERR that traverses that crossing now :(. And where would it go from there? My solution is neat, economical and tourism-promoting, all at the same time. It connects neighborhoods in a friendly fashion and would be extremely well received by the Old Strathcona Foundation and the Old Strathcona Business Association. And you get two... two... two systems for the price of one, with a different kind of ridership on each.
Whyte Avenue LRT is a HUGE mistake -- here's another reason why. I would venture to say that most of the traffic along Whyte Avenue (not all, just most) is what we call "through traffic" -- traffic from one general area headed for another general area -- in this case, traffic from Sherwood Park, the ex-urbs and the East Edmonton suburbs headed along the most convenient route -- 82nd Avenue -- to the University of Alberta "mini-city" and vise-versa. Bottlenecking Whyte Avenue by reducing lanes for through traffic to accommodate LRT will only make matters worse from a vehicular congestion point of view.
If, however, the LRT route was developed along 76th Avenue (currently NOT a through route), then it would not mix in with the existing vehicle route -- Whyte Avenue -- and it would tend to actually ease through traffic along that track.
^^^^ Actually, @Daveography I think there is a very valid case to be made...
1. On the eastern extreme (all industrial or mercantile in terms of adjacent uses) it would tie-in directly to Wye Road (Sherwood Park's equivalent of Jasper Avenue). A "clover loop" at about the equivalent of 9th/10th Street would take westbound traffic over the Sherwood Park Freeway and connect the loop to 76th Street. Similarly an eastbound lane off of 76th could cross over the exit ramp of the SP Freeway thereby completing the extension into Sherwood Park -- in both instances the land is sitting there idle in terms of use.
2. Heading west the industrial mercantile uses continue all of the way to 50th street. It would be an easy matter to widen this section of 76th street to 4 lanes (total -- two in each direction), put in a sidewalk on one side of the street and a protected 2-way bike lane on the other -- again, the land is sitting idle to achieve this. With a little artful landscaping a palette of native plants, shrubs and occasional vertical planters could make the visual aspect far, far more pleasant than it currently is.
3. A multi-functional bridge could span the tracks at 67th street, allowing the same 4-lane plus sidewalk plus bike lanes to carry on westward through industrial-then-commercial zones all the way to Argyll Road (upgraded to a traffic-light-controlled intersection).
4. From Argyll to 75th Street -- more Industrial/Commercial -- we create the same design elements described to this point, and, I might add, the effort is very inexpensive compared to other alternatives and we make the 75th Street/76th Avenue another light-controlled intersection.
5. West of 75th Street, 76th Avenue is already a four-lane thoroughfare all the way to the CP lands that, incidentally, are in a comparable state of dis-use. Along the route we simply eliminate curb parking altogether and change all intersections to cobble/stone paving alternatives so that traffic is naturally moderated from a speed perspective (traffic at 40 kph gets you there almost as fast as traffic at 50 kph). Pedestrian sidewalk on the north side of the Avenue; bicycle lanes on the south. Landscape-wise and in conjunction with a widened boulevard on both sides of the avenue we create a treed allée with benches along the route and information/technology modules interspersed here and there. We also create City-maintained landscape buffers that improve the aspect of front-yards for residences.

Help! I had a recent discussion with one of the Mayoral candidates who was interested in the 76th Ave. arterial road concept -- I have forgotten which thread I had written the concept under -- can anybody lead me to it?
There's this thread @archited

Thought I saw something else somewhere too

Never mind. @Kaizen beat me to it. lol

Back