News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I can only imagine the size of this project. The Southside Amazon warehouse was pretty massive to begin with but if this one is even that much larger it's almost hard to comprehend. I'll have to make a trip out that way to just see the scope of this project.

That whole industrial park section in Acheson is really exploding. Lots of big facilities and companies there. Champion Pet Foods, NACG, Williams Scotsman, Overwaitea Foods, JEN COL, and I think there's a big STIHL dealer or warehouse of some sort.

That whole industrial park section in Acheson is really exploding. Lots of big facilities and companies there. Champion Pet Foods, NACG, Williams Scotsman, Overwaitea Foods, JEN COL, and I think there's a big STIHL dealer or warehouse of some sort.
This is only a pre-Covid concept map, but it's nice to see that Acheson is one of the major destinations for the EMTSC's regional service. If it remains on the final plans, this could really be another boon for the area.
Screenshot_20210621-111351_YouTube.jpg

I saw this building coming down the other day, so I checked the map. So far, there's no development permit for the site.

Home Improvement Permit
Reference Id:Job No 386262490-002
Description:To demolish a Single Detached House and detached Garage.
Plan 2552S Blk 7 Lots 22-23
Applicant:SALEM, NABIL
Create Date:2021/02/10
Neighbourhood:BELVEDERE
Issue Date:2021/05/26
Class Of Permit:Class A

I saw this building coming down the other day, so I checked the map. So far, there's no development permit for the site.

Home Improvement Permit
Reference Id:Job No 386262490-002
Description:To demolish a Single Detached House and detached Garage.
Plan 2552S Blk 7 Lots 22-23
Applicant:SALEM, NABIL
Create Date:2021/02/10
Neighbourhood:BELVEDERE
Issue Date:2021/05/26
Class Of Permit:Class A
This one's already been demo'd. Went by on Friday and all that was left was a big heap of rubble.

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class A
Permit Date
Jun 22, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct a 43 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building with an underground parkade and to demolish two Single Detached Houses.
Address
7604 - 108 STREET NW

Edit: @Avenuer do you have any renderings for this one? I see the architect is Hodgson Schilf Evans.

Last edited:
STIHL warehouse, yup. Panattoni doing lots there, too. Booming for sure! Here's an old pic of the STIHL site for fun.
1624486285009.png

i don't think this has been mentioned yet, but i want to bring it up because some of the history buffs on this site (@_Citizen_Dane_ might be intrigued) would want to know about this. The former primary school in Westmount, on 128 St and Stony Plain Road, has finally sold and is up for rezoning, from RF1 (which is what the surrounding houses are, the building was being used as a church, kinda ignoring the zoning) to RA8. There is a construction fence around the site, a bin in the back, and it looks like the place is being cleaned out. It had been used as a crash pad by homeless/transient people for a couple years after the church closed, and the stuff coming out is junk left over from this. I didn't hop any fences, but from what i could see through the now-uncovered windows, the interiors were remuddled in the 70's; i doubt there's much original stuff left in there. anyways, That's happening. I don't know much more on timelines yet, but get your photos of the place soon!
The rezoning is shown as 'in progress' on the maps.edmonton site, but i can't find any info on who is making the application, it isn't showing on the city's rezoning applications page. Gossip in the neighbourhood (my parents live there, but they and the neighbours they talk with the most aren't the savviest with this stuff; so it can be hard to understand what's actually happening given how they explain things) is that it will be a 6-story residential building, with a 'hair salon or maybe a grocery store' on the ground floor. They kinda joked about seeing renders, but I can't find anything. The description they gave is RA8. generic RA8. which makes me think there isn't actually much of a plan out there yet. If anyone has any ideas of where to look for more info on this, please let me know. I'm curious, and excited to see this site turn into something new!

Sidebar, it was weird hearing on person say 'there's no way they'll do 6 floors, maybe 3 or 4. 6 is too big' as if the site isn't 4 blocks from an LRT stop. The neighbourhood was progressive when I was living there, and very supportive of the LRT. We took it as a point of pride to support a project that stuck-up Glenora was mad about. seeing that attitude fall apart a bit around this new building was sad.

^ I saw that. Here's one render:
https://sites.google.com/situateinc.ca/westmount128st/home

For those interested, it's slated to replace the original Glenora School, a building that represents penny-pinching at its finest. Instead of a new build, the Edmonton Public School Board took Westmount School's temporary schoolhouses — used while the school that's there now was under construction — basically stapled them together, and put them on a new concrete foundation. It served between 1918 and 1940, when all classes were transferred to the 'new' Glenora School a few blocks southwest. Students didn't really like it. Quoting Peggy O'Connor Farnell's excellent Old Glenora:
"It was a two-storey monstrosity, totally unwelcoming and unattractive inside and out. The exterior columns were beige and brown and the rooms and corridors inside were an institutional green and cream. In inclement weather, the children were allowed to play in the basement. Cold, grey cement concrete walls and floors, with no equipment or games except a ball. Of course, boys and girls stayed at opposite sides of the room [...] Desks were ornamental cast iron with wooden tops and attached seats that lifted up and down, and a hole in the top for ink wells. Blackboards were really black, and white chalk only was used. The whole building smelled of the oil rubbed into the wooden floors, which were always dusty at the edges and corners."

Despite the complaints, it's an important part of the city's educational history. It's listed on the Inventory of Historic Resources, and could've been designated had the owner wanted. More reading and original architectural plans here.

Last edited:
^
we looked really hard at it and couldn’t make sense of it at the end of the day. much of the “new concrete foundation” was cinder block; most of the second floor was removed by the church with no concern for loss of structural integrity (the shed entry addition on the east end is all that appears to be holding it up); there are several strange additions and stairwells for the converted upstairs apartment on the west end; there is nothing of historical interest remaining in the interior…. it would have been interesting to revitalize and reintegrate the original building in that location even if it wasn’t its original location but that ship sailed long ago along with too much of the rest of the fleet.

Would love to see something like this happen to the Sherwood school grounds on 95ave and 153st. 2 blocks from the new LRT stop. Big, big field and closing small school.

If they bulldoze the school and return that area to a park, then develop some of the south side of the field to front onto 95ave (a primary east/west corridor once 156th lrt cuts off others), that would be amazing. Nimbys will come out strong though

^
we looked really hard at it and couldn’t make sense of it at the end of the day. much of the “new concrete foundation” was cinder block; most of the second floor was removed by the church with no concern for loss of structural integrity (the shed entry addition on the east end is all that appears to be holding it up); there are several strange additions and stairwells for the converted upstairs apartment on the west end; there is nothing of historical interest remaining in the interior…. it would have been interesting to revitalize and reintegrate the original building in that location even if it wasn’t its original location but that ship sailed long ago along with too much of the rest of the fleet.
Ship of Theseus, except each new component is worse than the original?

Back