8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Images of the old Great Western Railway Station are among my favourites:

Great Western railway 1.jpg

Great Western railway 2.jpg

The station building (Grand Trunk Railway) was at the corner of Yonge and The Esplanade and the photo is before the rail berm was completed - so probably before 1929. I think it had already closed as a station, I see no tracks.
Yeah, it ws already a fruit market by then (the sign in the 1930 photo is discernable). Keep in mind that the rail viaduct behind Union Station wasn't finished until 1930, so they were busy getting that finished (the bridge was a temporary one while Bay was closed for the viaduct construction). The Royal York was finished in 1929, and its framework didn't get to this level until 1928; as for the "Admiral building", it was this one, finished in 1928, demolished mid-80s for BCE (the rooftop signage originally advertised the tenant Stimson)

Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall (1893) at the N/W corner of Yonge/College is a Toronto landmark and,
in particular, a landmark in my own history....That's where I worked during my first summer job (c.1949).
Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall 1893.jpg

Starbucks appears to have recently "left the building" and I'm amazed by that huge, new tower.
Yonge at College.jpg

Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall (1893) at the N/W corner of Yonge/College is a Toronto landmark and,
in particular, a landmark in my own history....That's where I worked during my first summer job (c.1949).
View attachment 412952

Starbucks appears to have recently "left the building" and I'm amazed by that huge, new tower.
View attachment 412954

Jeez Goldie. That must make you 85-90 years old?

Back