News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Goldie Then and Now Time.

1570 Kingston Rd.

What's a 'Terraplane'?

1570 kingston rd.jpg

DSC, you walked over for a look? :) How cool. I wonder why they did that. Answer is lost to the mists of history...

Or is it? @DSC

1675451815106.png

Taken From: http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/05/robert-simpson-company-ltd.html

In one very old photo or render (not sure); we see three arches. Suggesting to me that one was removed at one point.

If memory serves me........

This area of the store was converted to 'loading' at some point in history.

There were no entrances to the store between Yonge (at the corner, now Lena) and the first of the entrances in the newer 'deco' building towards Bay Street.

When the original Bay-Adelaide Centre proposal was approved, one of the conditions was shifting loading to the south of side of Richmond Street and re-opening that area as an entrance; I imagine, restoring it to close to its original look in the process.

I tried to dig up the details on that deal, but I've been missing them today and need to get back to work! LOL

Last edited:
Or is it? @DSC

View attachment 454040
Taken From: http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/05/robert-simpson-company-ltd.html

In one very old photo or render (not sure); we see three arches. Suggesting to me that one was removed at one point.

There were no entrances to the store between Yonge (at the corner, now Lena) and the first of the entrances in the newer 'deco' building towards Bay Street.

When the original Bay-Adelaide Centre proposal was approved, one of the conditions was shifting loading to the south of side of Richmond Street and re-opening that area as an entrance; I imagine, restoring it to close to its original look in the process.

I tried to dig up the details on that deal, but I've been missing them today and need to get back to work! LOL
Actually, I'd make an other-way-around suggestion. The earlier photo was dated 1927; the above Simpsons addition (which'd be a render, as the site was too hemmed-in for that kind of wide view) came in 1928/9. And I recall reading of the Simpsons midblock entrance arches being 1920s modifications--whether accurately or not; for all I know, it might be nothing more than *this* arch. (We need more pre-1930 photos of the Simpsons elevations to verify what might have gone on here)

Or is it? @DSC

View attachment 454040

Fantastic research! Thank you.

Actually, I'd make an other-way-around suggestion. The earlier photo was dated 1927; the above Simpsons addition (which'd be a render, as the site was too hemmed-in for that kind of wide view) came in 1928/9. And I recall reading of the Simpsons midblock entrance arches being 1920s modifications--whether accurately or not; for all I know, it might be nothing more than *this* arch. (We need more pre-1930 photos of the Simpsons elevations to verify what might have gone on here)
Not sure if this helps. It's dated "circa 1930" and shows two arches (also one of my favourite pics in the archives showing both the Temple Building and the original tower of the Confederation Life Building):

f1244_it2465.jpg

One wonders what happened to all of that lumber after construction. I recall the decking at Yonge and Sheppard and remember it was quite substantial and I seem to recall it had some kind of rudimentary traction coating on it.

North West Corner of Yonge/Bloor - 1971

1676738420504.png

Taken from: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi....3346283472355122&idorvanity=1579752435674910

This is now:

1676738527951.png

Comments:

1) Note the previous location of the Pilot Tavern

2) I really like that heritage CIBC building in the '71 photo, today we would insist on retaining the facade at least. Curiously though, I find that it doesn't relate to the street well, giving a blank presentation to the Bloor frontage at the corner.
So while I might actually have wished to see it partially/wholly saved, I might also have favoured moving it slightly, not sure how, but I digress!

Last edited:
When I worked at Eaton's in the late 1960s/early 70s there were several young single girls from out of town who boarded there. No doubt the Eton family had an arrangement with them. I also recall Willard Hall was used a female residence for Ryerson.

I didn't realize Green and Ross tire went back that far.

Back