News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Great pics as usual mustapha, thanks very much. I don't know where you find the time, this is a lot of work. I especially like the last one, I had no idea there was a bus terminal at Yonge & Yonge Blvd.

Props to Chong Young and Sheridan Nurseries for surviving the decades.

If only we could refrain from slapping up crappy pastel stucco on otherwise decent buildings.

Oooh! The bus loop at the top of the hill. It made the journey downtown from Willowdale such an adventure.

My memory of this period - 1966 - is but a boys but I seem to think that the Yonge to Richmond Hill bus - an express from Yonge and Eglinton TTC terminal - stopped here before carrying on. My dad thinks the fare was about $1.25

Great pics as usual mustapha, thanks very much. I don't know where you find the time, this is a lot of work. I especially like the last one, I had no idea there was a bus terminal at Yonge & Yonge Blvd.

You're welcome, but it wasn't as time consuming as going to Havana.:)

Yes, the attention-grabbing screaming match now goes well beyond signage.

Were Chong Young and Dick Young related?

Is that a Joy station I spy next to Mills & Hadwin? I have no memory of there being one there in the early '70s.

Yes, the attention-grabbing screaming match now goes well beyond signage.

Were Chong Young and Dick Young related?

Is that a Joy station I spy next to Mills & Hadwin? I have no memory of there being one there in the early '70s.

To your 1st question... I don't know; my grandfather 'Sam', gone for 30 years now might have known, as he had a laundry at #2616 and knew everyone up and down the street. His 'Sam Low Laundry' - the name of which meant 'the laundry of the three Lows' - 'sam' - being phonetic and symbolic Chinese for the 3 unrelated young men named Low who started it in 1926. Gramp's laundry received a write up of a few pages in this book:
http://www.redroom.com/publishedwork/chinese-laundries-tickets-survival-gold-mountain

Your 2nd question - I was surprised too. I worked at that Loblaws to the north of it in 72/73 but the Joy was gone by then.:eek:

Last edited:
very cool tour. thanks for these.

the three main things i noticed were that the gas stations disappeared (esso and BP), the full names of all the banks instead of the abbreviations, and those abovehead wires were horrible.

Props to Chong Young and Sheridan Nurseries for surviving the decades.

Sheridan Nurseries - trees - seque :) - in a couple of pictures, the same trees/evergreens have survived to the present day. Ie., the tree next to the fire station.

I wonder why the corner doodads were removed from the roof of the Glen Grove? Are they stored in the basement of some doodad wraith somewhere?

I waited in the cold all Saturday afternoon for the Witt car fanboy ride but it never came.

ser71_s0071_it2140.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Believe it or not, it still stood, abandoned and mouldering, in the late 70s--I presume it bit the dust in preparation for the Loblaw-ization of the York Mills auto dealership site.

Back