News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

YONGE rhymes with SPONGE. (Minister of War, friend of Governor Simcoe.)

SPADINA, the I is a double "EE", as in "SPADEENA". (Named after SPADINA HOUSE on Austin Terrace/Spadina Road.)

STRACHAN, pronounced by the good Doctor of Divinity, to "soften the name", became "STRAUN".

But, what of BLOORE Street?
&
EGLINGTON
&
ST CLAIRE?

Regards,
J T

St Clare or Claire was an associate of St Francis of Assisi. I'm not sure who the street is named after (or the county) but I suspect not her.

Eglinton is a castle in Ayrshire, Scotland, a neighbourhood in Edinburgh, or a village in Northern Ireland. I think the street is named for the castle. There are Eglingtons but the dominant spelling is Eglinton - however the street has regularly been misspelled almost since it was first named.

I lived on St Germain which became St Germaine where it crossed from the city into North York (that was in the olden days of the 1940s and 50s). A H St Germain was editing a Toronto newspaper in 1860.

"The 185-acre farm of former Toronto publisher Alfred St. Germain may have had a Yonge Street address, but the estate itself probably wasn’t visible from the road. Despite its vista view from a height of land, the house was buried deep within the property.
The farm lane — which, no surprise, is today’s St. Germain Avenue."

http://bedfordpark.wordpress.com/

February 16 addition.

Then. Looks to be about 1964?. Bloor and Brunswick. Looking across to the SE corner.

DSCF3472.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

February 16 addition.

Then. Looks to be about 1964?. Bloor and Brunswick. Looking across to the SE corner.

DSCF3472.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

I would say they've kept it fairly well, if they took down that gawdawful Coors Light poster and the awnings. Though the original awnings don't look any great shakes either. Maybe the current ones in a different colour wouldn't be as bad, though they'd still be utterly useless.

Funny how the filthiest bar in town has kept it's architecture in good repair. The same could not be said for the Big Bop, David Miller rest its soul.

I had a summer job once, in July 1981, which I had obtained through Canada Manpower, as it was known at the time. The job was to paint the exterior trim of the Brunswick. I remember that the guy who hired me spent a lot of time in the bar while I worked, and although he did pay me, he also borrowed much of that back to help fund his time in the bar! I remember going up on the roof, and crawling out onto that cornice to paint those keystoned circles and to lie down flat in order to reach under and paint the underside of the cornice. And what colour was I painting the trim in July 1981? The same colour that it is now and has been since then, although I'm sure it's been repainted at least, oh, I don't know, twice (?) since 1981!!!

Funny how the filthiest bar in town has kept it's architecture in good repair. The same could not be said for the Big Bop, David Miller rest its soul.

It's been years but I remember some incident about reuse of beer that was left over in pitchers.

I would say they've kept it fairly well, if they took down that gawdawful Coors Light poster and the awnings. Though the original awnings don't look any great shakes either. Maybe the current ones in a different colour wouldn't be as bad, though they'd still be utterly useless.

I just noticed on one of the awnings the world "Champions" - off track betting. I ned to lighten my wallet so I'll head down. :)

I had a summer job once, in July 1981, which I had obtained through Canada Manpower, as it was known at the time. The job was to paint the exterior trim of the Brunswick. I remember that the guy who hired me spent a lot of time in the bar while I worked, and although he did pay me, he also borrowed much of that back to help fund his time in the bar! I remember going up on the roof, and crawling out onto that cornice to paint those keystoned circles and to lie down flat in order to reach under and paint the underside of the cornice. And what colour was I painting the trim in July 1981? The same colour that it is now and has been since then, although I'm sure it's been repainted at least, oh, I don't know, twice (?) since 1981!!!

"... reach under and paint the underside..." And you lived to tell the tale. :)

February 17 addition.

Then. "Wintry night Wilton Ave Toronto between 1905 and 1924."

Wilton is now Dundas street East. Sharp-eyed UTer Anna spied the Mutual street sign on the side of the building, making positive ID of the location. It was some time ago that Anna did this, I only managed last month to get to the location to take a Now picture.

WintrynightWiltonAveTorontobetw1905and1924.jpg

Now. January 2011. I took two pictures; one with flash, one without. You folks can look at the one that pleases you. :)

Our old house on the left is still there.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031-1.jpg

Working on Pembroke st. yesterday.
Wandered around and took some snaps.

77 Pembroke st Jan 17 1942
77Pem.jpg

Now
77Pemnow.jpg

Robbie Burns 1927
Burns27.jpg

Now (complete with snow!)
Burns.jpg

Gerrard st. entrance to Allen Gardens from Pembroke st.
GerrardEnt.jpg

Now
IMG_0926.jpg

Such beautiful homes on pembroke.
Too bad most of them are run down.

Back