News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

June 10 addition.

Then. "June 26, 1933. 374 Huron Street." 78 years ago this month. I was wondering if I should even post this, as it might seem a bit banal. This is the utterly unchanged residential block across the street from the University of Toronto's Robarts Library. When I came across this picture I remembered when I was young thinking [no I wasn't around in 1933 :) ] how it would be nice if I could live in this area. It was and is close to everything that I continue to find appealing: Chinatown, the Bloor west strip, Yorkville, the ROM, the hub-bub of students, etc.

There is a sign in the window of the leftmost house in the Then picture: "Rooms To Let". Some things in this neighbourhood never change. It's might be interesting to reflect for a moment that a U of T student in 1933 of 20 years age would be 98 now.

41.jpg

Now.

42.jpg

There is a sign in the window of the leftmost house in the Then picture: "Rooms To Let". Some things in this neighbourhood never change. It's might be interesting to reflect for a moment that a U of T student in 1933 of 20 years age would be 98 now.

I'll share rather than reflect, impudent boy that I am. Both of my paternal grandparents graduated from U of T in the late 1920's and early 1930's, and from what I recall of their recollections is that their experience would bear no relation to modern students. At one point the the 30's my grandfather took time off from school to work at Inco in Sudbury to help pay his tuition (being one of 7 or 8, there wasn't any parental support and no government loan programs). My grandmother, having skipped several grades was a very young woman when she went to U of T. Something of an oddity at that time, I expect. They certainly did not have the relatively carefree student life of my experience.

June 10 addition.

Then. "June 26, 1933. 374 Huron Street." 78 years ago this month. I was wondering if I should even post this, as it might seem a bit banal. This is the utterly unchanged residential block across the street from the University of Toronto's Robarts Library. When I came across this picture I remembered when I was young thinking [no I wasn't around in 1933 :) ] how it would be nice if I could live in this area. It was and is close to everything that I continue to find appealing: Chinatown, the Bloor west strip, Yorkville, the ROM, the hub-bub of students, etc.

41.jpg

Now.

42.jpg

Also, I think the tree in front of the middle house is reversing in age. 98 is the new 20 they say. :)

I'll share rather than reflect, impudent boy that I am. Both of my paternal grandparents graduated from U of T in the late 1920's and early 1930's, and from what I recall of their recollections is that their experience would bear no relation to modern students. At one point the the 30's my grandfather took time off from school to work at Inco in Sudbury to help pay his tuition (being one of 7 or 8, there wasn't any parental support and no government loan programs). My grandmother, having skipped several grades was a very young woman when she went to U of T. Something of an oddity at that time, I expect. They certainly did not have the relatively carefree student life of my experience.

Grade skipping... is that still done nowadays? I remember in the 60s the slightly-proud-and-awkward-at-the-same-time children who wound up in our grade 3 class; "kicked" up from grade 1 to 3. I wonder what educators think of this nowadays?

Last edited:
Yes, I walked by that Home Hardware; neat back story. On Yonge street near where I live is "Circle Shoes"; it's been there since about 1950, still in business.

November 9 addition.

Then. June 3, 1952. SE corner Jones and Danforth.

s0372_ss0058_it2352.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0440.jpg

Revisit to an August 2010 thread with a "new" Then picture provided by ValsHere.

That TD bank branch has been there a very long time.

JonesDanforth1965.jpg

I'm an old, old banker!!!

Revisit to an August 2010 thread with a "new" Then picture provided by ValsHere.

That TD bank branch has been there a very long time.

JonesDanforth1965.jpg

It certainly has been - I opened an account there as a child when it was The Bank of Toronto!

Also, I think the tree in front of the middle house is reversing in age. 98 is the new 20 they say. :)

It's a Benjamin Button tree.

I am a reader of the http://www.afterthebattle.com/ magazines, a Then and Now magazine with battlefields orientation. No online pictures so no need to click through. You have to buy the hardcopy. Anyways, in going through the pictures one can often see trees and shrubs that have lived down to the present from 1942 or earlier. Quite amazing.

Also, in London UK, one can see many "plane trees" some of them a couple of hundred years old. http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/sevenwonders/london/plane_trees/ Fascinating to me.

I wonder where is the oldest documented tree in Toronto?

It certainly has been - I opened an account there as a child when it was The Bank of Toronto!

Do you still bank at TD, Goldie? That would be a kind of record... Not saying you're old, but, sheesh,... I can't believe I hit the post button. :)

Last edited:
Hey there UT boys and girls, let's play a game called "Beat This".

My parents have had the same phone number since 1955. Beat That!

Lets keep it clean please and no double entendres. :) :)

Dunno if that particular *building* was the Bank of Toronto--T-D was formed 1955; that particular series of branch designs (by A. Bruce Etherington, I'm supposing) came around 1960 or so...

Dunno if that particular *building* was the Bank of Toronto--T-D was formed 1955; that particular series of branch designs (by A. Bruce Etherington, I'm supposing) came around 1960 or so...

Yes, adma.
Mustapha's "Then" photo (1952) shows the earlier building as I remember it.
The more recent photos show a new structure.

BankofToronto1952.jpg

Last edited:
Grade skipping... is that still done nowadays? I remember in the 60s the slightly-proud-and-awkward-at-the-same-time children who wound up in our grade 3 class; "kicked" up from grade 1 to 3. I wonder what educators think of this nowadays?
I can only speak for the 70s. After third grade, two kids were held back and two kids skipped the third and joined my grade four class.

Little Norway

Does anyone have access to a photo of the Norwegian Air Force barracks that were behind Maple Leaf Stadium during the war (1941)?
I believe their camp was in the same area as the parking lot in this 1926 photo (Attached).
As many will know, Norway trained many pilots at the Island Airport during wartime.

Thanks in advance, if a photo can be found.

Attachments

• stadium parking 1926 .jpg
    stadium parking 1926 .jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 291

Back