News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

June 16 Then and Now.

Then. 10 Mackenzie Avenue c1909. Picture provided by our wwwebster. This fine home was and is located just a few steps north of the Castle Frank subway station.

5210MackenzieAvec1909.jpg

Now. June 2011. Over a hundred years later, it's all there, unmussed with and garden groomed to a nicety. Great curb appeal.

5210mackenzie.jpg

" This fine home was and is located just a few steps north of the Castle Frank subway station." QUOTE Mustapha.

MIGHT'S DIRECTORY, 1909:

Mrs Eleanor Street, (widow Wm P R)
21 Rose Avenue.

MIGHT'S DIRECTORY, 1910:

10 MacKenzie Avenue.

DAU'S BLUE BOOK, 1911:

Maiden name: Smyth.
Clubs:
IODE, Women's Musical Club.

Daughter: Amy.
Clubs:
IODE, Toronto Golf Club.

Regards,
J T

Thanks for this JT. One of my daughter's friends is a Street. I shall point out these particulars in an email.

June 17 addition.

Then. "June 8, 1938. 161 Ascot Avenue" This is the SE corner of Ascot and Harvie. The nearest major intersection is St. Clair and Landsdowne.

Hall's Grocery - a charming corner store that unfortunately hasn't survived down to the present.

I like the imaginatively named "Acme" Ice Cream [sign]. It might very well have been the Acme of ice cream.

Still with us is Salada Tea - not exactly a brand that is 'top of mind' for today's consumers - it was founded in 1892 in Montreal - the first tea to be sold in foil packets for freshness. It's still in my opinion the best blend to be taken if you like your tea English style - strong and deeply steeped. I take it strong enough to tan leather. Sugar optional. Tea gives me a lift - not like coffee - which makes me jittery. YMMV. :) Milk, never; it hides the tea taste. Just remember to brush well - to deal with the teeth stains. :)

91s0372_ss0058_it1491.jpg

Now. May 2011.

92.jpg

I mentioned Landsdowne... does anyone here know why there is a segment of it running between Wingold and Glengrove - several kilometers north of its termination at St. Clair?

Last edited:
"Thanks for this JT. One of my daughter's friends is a Street. I shall point out these particulars in an email." QUOTE Mustapha.

I had a sometime girlfriend during the '80's/'90's with the rather odd name of Avenue Road.

The only problem with her was she couldn't makeup her mind whether to visit The Four Seasons or The Park Plaza!

Regards,
J T

Acme Ice Cream was probably made by Acme Farmers Dairy. The logo on the sign looks familiar. Acme delivered milk to our house in the 1940s until .... they went out of business or we stopped having a milk delivery. Both events probably happened about the same time.

21 Rose Avenue.

That’s a very interesting coincidence. I happen to have done a little research on 21 Rose Ave. Built circa 1879-1880, apparently for James Pringle, a long-time employee of the Western Assurance Company. The following is from an article by Janice Lindsay, published in the Globe and Mail on April 6, 2002, page L5:

“When artist Jane Martin and her late husband, musician Ewen McCuaig, bought 21 Rose Ave. 15 years ago, the three-storey Victorian house in Cabbagetown had stories to tell. After its glory days as a Toronto mansion, it was converted into a 19-unit rooming house with a caretaker who financed his drinking habit by selling off the occasional marble fireplace or light fixture.â€

“Developers bought the house in the 1960s along with many of its neighbours, as part of a plan to tear them down and expand the St. James Town public-housing development. Thanks to the vocal outrage of the neighbourhood, architect Jack Diamond and former mayor John Sewell, the plan was aborted and the properties were put up for sale. Bill Hawkes, the antiques dealer who created the Harbourfront Antiques Market, bought the house and began lovingly restoring it. When he realized that a missing window over the front door was an oddly shaped stained-glass piece that he had bought and then sold as a dealer, he tracked down the buyer and bought it back.â€

June 17 addition.

Then. "June 8, 1938. 161 Ascot Avenue" This is the NE corner of Ascot and Harvie. The nearest major intersection is St. Clair and Landsdowne.

Hall's Grocery - a charming corner store that unfortunately hasn't survived down to the present.

I like the imaginatively named "Acme" Ice Cream [sign]. It might very well have been the Acme of ice cream.

Still with us is Salada Tea - not exactly a brand that is 'top of mind' for today's consumers - it was founded in 1892 in Montreal - the first tea to be sold in foil packets for freshness. It's still in my opinion the best blend to be taken if you like your tea English style - strong and deeply steeped. I take it strong enough to tan leather. Sugar optional. Tea gives me a lift - not like coffee - which makes me jittery. YMMV. :) Milk, never; it hides the tea taste. Just remember to brush well - to deal with the teeth stains. :)

I mentioned Landsdowne... does anyone here know why there is a segment of it running between Wingold and Glengrove - several kilometers north of its termination at St. Clair?

A few neat things here, oh and it's the SE corner. The bottom left has a pole guy wire anchor I keep seeing it as a yellow plastic one but in 38 it was probably wood. The new house has kept the 45 degree corner as the original, curious. In your now shot the house appears as a multi unit but it is in fact a single family house. Take a walk around it via Google.
And the Lansdowne extension is also neat and in two sections up there at Dufferin and Lawrence.

This area of Toronto is noticeably less treed than in yesteryear, or compared to other parts of the city: the Portugese and Italians who settled here clearly valued sun and shade-free gardens. The upside of the scant arborial coverage is fewer racoons and squirrels, and my borrowed backyard garden is never raided by nocturnals.

"Thanks for this JT. One of my daughter's friends is a Street. I shall point out these particulars in an email." QUOTE Mustapha.

I had a sometime girlfriend during the '80's/'90's with the rather odd name of Avenue Road.

The only problem with her was she couldn't makeup her mind whether to visit The Four Seasons or The Park Plaza!

Regards,
J T

Ah. the Road family, that lives on Avenue, never mind.. :)

That’s a very interesting coincidence. I happen to have done a little research on 21 Rose Ave. Built circa 1879-1880, apparently for James Pringle, a long-time employee of the Western Assurance Company. The following is from an article by Janice Lindsay, published in the Globe and Mail on April 6, 2002, page L5:

“When artist Jane Martin and her late husband, musician Ewen McCuaig, bought 21 Rose Ave. 15 years ago, the three-storey Victorian house in Cabbagetown had stories to tell. After its glory days as a Toronto mansion, it was converted into a 19-unit rooming house with a caretaker who financed his drinking habit by selling off the occasional marble fireplace or light fixture.”

“Developers bought the house in the 1960s along with many of its neighbours, as part of a plan to tear them down and expand the St. James Town public-housing development. Thanks to the vocal outrage of the neighbourhood, architect Jack Diamond and former mayor John Sewell, the plan was aborted and the properties were put up for sale. Bill Hawkes, the antiques dealer who created the Harbourfront Antiques Market, bought the house and began lovingly restoring it. When he realized that a missing window over the front door was an oddly shaped stained-glass piece that he had bought and then sold as a dealer, he tracked down the buyer and bought it back.”

I miss the Harbourfront Antiques Market.. permanent stalls; higher end things.. I wonder if lack of business or the landlord ended things. The Sunday one at St. Lawrence isn't the same at all.

A few neat things here, oh and it's the SE corner. The bottom left has a pole guy wire anchor I keep seeing it as a yellow plastic one but in 38 it was probably wood. The new house has kept the 45 degree corner as the original, curious. In your now shot the house appears as a multi unit but it is in fact a single family house. Take a walk around it via Google.
And the Lansdowne extension is also neat and in two sections up there at Dufferin and Lawrence.

SE, gotcha, fixed my post. I'm curious about that house too. Flat roof, very expensive to repair; makes me wonder as well. Crazy thought - I wonder if Halls corner store is underneath it.

This area of Toronto is noticeably less treed than in yesteryear, or compared to other parts of the city: the Portugese and Italians who settled here clearly valued sun and shade-free gardens. The upside of the scant arborial coverage is fewer racoons and squirrels, and my borrowed backyard garden is never raided by nocturnals.

It might have been a practical consideration -a larger tree on those lawns might have busted a foundation or the water services. Our front yard Maple died [the one that kept putting roots into our drain] and the city's replacement is just a wee thing that even when grown will still be a wee thing.

Great for setting up a solid veggie garden too.

We grew strawberries - squirrels ate them, tomatoes - raccoons ate them; fuzzy Chinese soup melons - success. :) Dilute hand soap - just a few shavings - in a old Windex bottle sprayed on veggies keeps just about everything with antennae at bay.

Back