News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

July 29 Then and Now.

Then. 1960-ish. Maple Leaf [they were a baseball team :) ] Stadium. Lakeshore Blvd. W.

111.jpg

Now. May 2011.

112.jpg

"Speaking of altering your city by landfill/reclamation," QUOTE Mustapha.

Toronto, not to be outdone:

North of The Kingson Road & Dundas Street.
Ashbridge's Bay/The Portlands.
Toronto Terminal Rail elevation. (central & east)
The Don River Improvement.
South of Front Street/The Rail Lands.
Numerous creeks leading through to Toronto Bay.
The large ravine S from Christie Pits to Niagara Street.
Railway Right of Way, (not TTR) west to River Humber.
Bloor Street fill, west of High Park.
Sunnyside.
Mimico Creek Improvement.
Numerous creeks - Lake Shore Road.
Etobicoke Creek Improvement.

Regards,
J T

thecharioteer,

In your 1862 picture: we - well, me anyways :) - have forgotten how close the waters edge was in Toronto's earliest days. We extended the shoreline southward by landfill and built industry and rail on it - all well and fine. I'm wondering if we might have had a more attractive waterfront if at least some of the original contours were left intact. I'm imagining an unmolested Yonge street pier that survived down to the present.

1841 view:

Parliament_Buildings_Front_Street_Toronto_1841-1-1.jpg

1856:

f1498_it0025.jpg

Last edited:
It was TPL's Digital Collections where I found Mitchell 1863-64, but its formal title was only 1864 so we may be speaking of the same book. For those of you who don't know the directory, on each of the odd-numbered pages W Hewitt (forerunner to Aikenheads) lists one of the pieces of hardware he keeps in his shop. An amazing list.

Does anyone know where to find "Brown's Toronto Directory 1861-62" besides on Ancestry?

Resurrecting a post from May 2010 to add a couple of rare pictures that wwwebster has found...

KingFrederickNWc1916.jpg

KingFrederickNWc1917.jpg

May 23 addition.

Then. Toronto Archive photo caption: "Christie's Biscuits and Robertson's chocolates for soldiers of First World War 1915". King and Frederick streets, looking N.

f1231_it1426.jpg

Now. April 2010. George Brown College

CSC_0054.jpg

1841 view:

Parliament_Buildings_Front_Street_Toronto_1841-1-1.jpg

What a great sketch - the artist was so deft with a pencil. It makes you wonder if he was a military officer - before photography, officers were given some training to allow them to draw harbours, fortifications, etc., to include with their reports.

What a great sketch - the artist was so deft with a pencil. It makes you wonder if he was a military officer - before photography, officers were given some training to allow them to draw harbours, fortifications, etc., to include with their reports.

Yes, I've been admiring that 1841 sketch as well.
We should remember that the first photo was made in 1826 but the process was not announced to the world until 1839.
Daguerreotypes were being made in New York City in 1839, although I expect the invention was a little slow arriving here.

Last edited:
If I’m understanding the question correctly, TPL has it. The title page says “1861,” but the inner pages have “1861-2” in the upper corner.

tcd_1861-r-109.gif

24 Wilton street, McNeil John, malster... had to look this one up. The modern term is maltster - repsonsible for the preparation of malts for brewing into beer.

July 29 Then and Now.

Then. 1960-ish. Maple Leaf [they were a baseball team :) ] Stadium. Lakeshore Blvd. W.

111.jpg

The flags mean that this photo was taken after Feb 15, 1965, but the team was moved after the 1967 season and the stadium was demolished the following year.

You're right of course; it was staring me right in the face and I missed it...

Goldie;544999 Daguerreotypes were being made in New York City in 1839 said:
Not that slow - thecharioteers photo above is dated 1856.

Hard to believe that the first 35mm film cameras were considered compact cameras for their day.

BROWN'S TORONTO GENERAL DIRECTORY

17 WINCHESTER STREET.
Ellis, J E
Jeweller.

Ellis + Ryrie + Birks = RYRIE, ELLIS, BIRKS CO.

BINGO!

Regards,
J T

24 Wilton street, McNeil John, malster... had to look this one up. The modern term is maltster - repsonsible for the preparation of malts for brewing into beer.

I've been using Brown's Directory to match with the 1861 census since the beginning of the year. His tippografikle errors are noomrus, even in people's names.

Back