News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

...Re UCC: wasn't that on the *north* side of King? (Replaced by the Royal Alex and the rest of the Mirvish industrial strip.) ...

...Interesting old ads--was Steak'n'Burger around that early?

adma... UCC... thanks, I consult old maps like this one:

http://linguafresca.com/portfolio/toronto_1894.jpg

- but had one of my moments:confused:; I've deleted the incorrect picture. I'll get back downtown and take a correct picture this weekend.

Steak n Burger - I can only remember it from my youth - the 60's. There is probably a market for a cheap sit down steakhouse again. The cuts of meat were not highest grade as I remember. I wonder if 'Tad's is still around in new York City - quite similar - a steak dinner for working stiffs.

Last edited:
Dec 8 additions

Yonge and Front looking east
fo1244_f1244_it1173c.jpg

DSCF1287.jpg

Yonge, a few blocks south of Lawrence, looking south
ser381_s0381_fl0251_id10806-8.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

Bay street
fo1231_f1231_it0197.jpg

DSCF1294.jpg

Queen west and Victoria, northeast corner
nequeenandvictoria.jpg

DSCF1401.jpg

Bay and King west looking north towards King
ser71_s0071_it11716.jpg

DSCF1292.jpg

Wellington west and Bay, southwest corner
fo1568_f1568_it0289.jpg

DSCF1291.jpg

Old Union Station train platform
fo1244_f1244_it0099.jpg

DSCF1290.jpg

Grand Opera House; Adelaide, just west of Yonge
fo1231_f1231_it0843.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

Modern Mount Sinai hospital location
fo1231_f1231_it1132.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

Bay and Queen looking west
fo1231_f1231_it2133.jpg

DSCF1381.jpg

Yonge and Shuter, northeast corner
fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0738.jpg

60 years later the building is leaning the other way; pretty cool. :)
DSCF1281.jpg

The modern view is taken from the perspective of the bridge in the old view… about where the chimney is.
Condos make a modern perspective impossible, or at least difficult.
ser372_ss0079_s0372_ss0079_it0049.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

Went looking for lunch; was about 25 years too late. :)
6a00d83451ccbc69e200e54f2d00648834-.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have 'Then' pictures here but I was out running errands yesterday and

took this pic of 1982 Islington Avenue. It's about 100 yards from the southwest corner of Dixon and Islington. This is 'Briarcrest'; was used by executives of A.V. Roe, [Avro Arrow], as a kind of executive office in the 1950s.
P1000292.jpg

Eglinton ave. west and Weston road yesterday. What's left of Kodak. And, I suppose, what's left of the camera film industry...
P1000293.jpg

P1000295-1.jpg

P1000294.jpg

Last edited:
Richmond west and Victoria, northeast corner
nequeenandvictoria.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

I'm a bit surprised at this one since the condo replaced a three or four storey structure which looked to have been built in the 20s. It was the offices for an Engineering Association of some sort. Also, the old block looks much longer on the Victoria Street side.

Thanks jbourandi; I stand corrected.:eek:

It's the ne corner of QUEEN and Victoria, not Richmond and Victoria.
So, that old building stood where St. Michaels Hospital is now. I'll edit my post.:D

http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231\f1231_it0611.jpg

Ah, now it makes sense. I always look forward to your posts just to see what we have lost or what I no longer remember - thanks

By the way, have you ever come across a photo of the lovely little building that was next (north of) to Woolies at Queen & Yonge. I dimly recall that it had a sort of fairytale castle affair at roof level. I think it opened as a fish mongers but that would be waaaaaay before my time.

Last edited:
Ah, now it makes sense. I always look forward to your posts just to see what we have lost or what I no longer remember - thanks

By the way, have you ever come across a photo of the lovely little building that was next (north of) to Woolies at Queen & Yonge. I dimly recall that it had a sort of fairytale castle affair at roof level. I think it opened as a fish mongers but that would be waaaaaay before my time.

Thanks. Perhaps I'll start a new thread entitled 'Moose's Toronto Then and Now - Exciting. Informative. May or May Not be Accurate depending on the kind of day he's having.':p

Queen and Yonge north of Woolworth's... here you go: I wonder what that building was?

fo1244_f1244_it0495.jpg

Last edited:
Richmond west and Victoria, northeast corner
nequeenandvictoria.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

I'm a bit surprised at this one since the condo replaced a three or four storey structure which looked to have been built in the 20s. It was the offices for an Engineering Association of some sort. Also, the old block looks much longer on the Victoria Street side.

This is a partial shot of what was there. I don't have the full building.
engineersclub.jpg

Thanks. Perhaps I'll start a new thread entitled 'Moose's Toronto Then and Now - Exciting. Informative. May or May Not be Accurate depending on the kind of day he's having.':p

Queen and Yonge north of Woolworth's... here you go: I wonder what that building was?

fo1244_f1244_it0495.jpg

It's the third building north of the corner building with what looks like an elaborate roof element and part of a sign for ...nos (pianos?)

That steak and baked potato don't look very appetizing at all, but for 4 bones, my what a steal!

This is a partial shot of what was there. I don't have the full building.
engineersclub.jpg

Is picture as old as it looks? That looks like one of those plastic milk crates in use today that the guy is sitting on (it looks like a red Sealtest crate) and the Grand & Toy bag beside him looks plastic too. I don't know, something about it, it makes me feel like the image is a lot more recent than some of the others in the thread

I took this in the early 90's. It was originally a colour shot but I 'treated' it to reflect the subject matter. It always gets a lot of attention when I do shows.

It's the third building north of the corner building with what looks like an elaborate roof element and part of a sign for ...nos (pianos?)

The building with the elaborate roof element and the larger building to the north, on the corner of Yonge and Louisa, was Eaton's.

By the 1910s, when that photo was taken, Eaton's owned just about all the buildings on that block, and was just about to start demolishing some of those smaller buildings to build larger store expansions.

The building with the elaborate roof element and the larger building to the north, on the corner of Yonge and Louisa, was Eaton's.

By the 1910s, when that photo was taken, Eaton's owned just about all the buildings on that block, and was just about to start demolishing some of those smaller buildings to build larger store expansions.

The one I'm referring to survived until demolition for the Eaton Centre began in the 70's.

Back