News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No reason the original windows would not survive 100 years. The only real threat to them is the overzealous renovator! I guess the dormer windows are casement. Even I might have been tempted to replace those - must be drafty.

"If the windows are single pane and/or glazed with putty, they are likely original."
QUOTE Earlscourt _Lad.
"No reason the original windows would not survive 100 years."
QUOTE k10ery.

The windows that presently exist at "The Carpet Factory" are the originals.

Regards,
J T

"30 Whitney Avenue. c1915."
QUOTE Mustapha.
"The only real threat to them is the overzealous renovator!"
QUOTE k10ery.

The "thing(s)" that I find hilarious re the above is that the roof leader (downspouts) enter into a

"catch basin" of sorts, (The tech name of which eludes me.) with no other purpose than to drain

an area of less than a minimal area, (As with the original.) while the huge main roof has none of

these now, just an additional leader. Also note that all of this main roof water is deposited at the

sheltered front door area which may lead to basement water problems.

Regards,
J T

My, did I get a lesson in windows. :)

Then and Now for May 11.

Then. 145 Crescent Road. c1910. Residence of F. L. Ratcliffe. Burke, Horwood and White, Architects.

538145CrescentRdc1910.jpg

Now. September 2011. Yes, its a different angle.. parked cars were the reason.

539.jpg

Note the shift of the main entrance so they could claim they had the all-important (in today's market) centre hall.

In TObuilt's winter image you can see a few more details.

This is the unbelievably rare case where renovations have improved the facade, IMO.

145CrescentRd.jpg

In k10ery's photo, it looks like the front door is still on the right and the central window has just become a french door.

It also suggests a 'coffin window', like the one at the old Playter farmhouse, or that other old house at the corner of Bowden and Hogarth.

Bring out yer dead!

"Bring out yer dead!"
QUOTE Urban Shocker.

So! Was this not the "Secret Agenda" of Ralph Day?
(Total public transit on "The Better Way".)

Regourds,
J T

In TObuilt's winter image you can see a few more details.

This is the unbelievably rare case where renovations have improved the facade, IMO.

145CrescentRd.jpg

Thank you! A better picture...

Crescent Road along here is one very busy street, unfortunately.

Then and Now for May 14.

Then. Thirty-Two Douglas Drive. c1920. House of Sidney Smith, Toronto. Molesworth, West & Secord, Architects.

54032DouglasDrc1920.jpg

Now. July 2011. I'm guessing this is a recent new build...

541.jpg

542.jpg

Last edited:

Back